Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

windows phone now *officially* dead (belfiore announced security updates only, no plans for anything new), but i figure we have largely been over the ways in which microsoft stupidly hosed their own mobile os efforts over again and again, so nothing much to add~~

well, sort of hope that the original wp7/wp8 team got better jobs

give them a year and I bet Microsoft will take another abortive swing at a mobile OS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

pram posted:

surfaceos lol

honestly that's exactly what I would expect. surface phone running some extra-bastardized version of win10

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

akadajet posted:

they were removed from flickr :(

business insider has them, including darth Vader on a motorcycle

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-iphone-funeral-2010-9#-18

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

FMguru posted:

i thought that was the current winpho iteration (windows 10 but scaled for phones), similar to how ios is just osx but for phones

that's why I specified extra bastardized

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

actually, paint.net is bad

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

they're all goddamn terrible and I unironically miss sametime

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

finally updated to 1709 Fall Creators Update©®™ (because i set it to current branch for business or whatever it was that deferred the big updates a few months, and now they've changed that terminology so your choices are "semi annual channel" and "semi annual channel targeted" wtf does that even mean)

it changed my wallpaper back to the default

there's really nothing terrible about that, everything works nothing is profoundly broken or hosed up, it takes no effort to change it back...

but seriously, why? how? it's so sloppy.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

While the main Office apps remain traditional desktop Windows applications, Microsoft has been developing a modern version of OneNote using the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) APIs for some years; it's arguably one of the more complex and capable UWP applications available today.

In Office 2019 shipping later this year, that new version of OneNote is moving to the foreground and will become the primary version of OneNote. The existing desktop application, OneNote 2016, will continue to be supported in maintenance mode, receiving bug fixes through October 2020 and security fixes until October 2025. But new features are going to be reserved for UWP version.

Microsoft has already said that Office 2019 will require Windows 10—it's the only version of Windows still in mainstream support—so the switch to using a UWP app should be fairly transparent. Clean installations of Office 2019 won't include OneNote 2016 by default, but if it's already there, it won't be harmed by upgrading.

Right now, there are some features found in the desktop app not present in the UWP; Microsoft is working to fill in the gaps, with features such as tags and Class Notebook support coming later this year. The company is also working on a new sync engine that provides near-instantaneous updates across Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and the Web.

guess I should start finding an alternative to onenote :barf: :smith:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

graph posted:

ces 2013 was nothing but garbage tablets and ""journalists"" falling over themselves posting 'is this the ipad killer ???'

some good stuff from the CESpit those years, yessir

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Lambert posted:

It's a great new feature, but goddamn is that UI amateur hour

W    H    I    T    E    S    P    A    C    E

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i wonder if there are any weirdos out there still desperately clinging to windows xp and their pile of carefully assembled tweaks, addons, janky windows customization software, visual styles, and application skins. running crap like winxp x64 or some embedded version.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

anthonypants posted:

it doesn't help that they keep loving changing the names every six months

would seriously love to be a fly on the wall at microsoft and see what the gently caress sort of crazy infighting and stupidity is behind this

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

a large demon haunts the bathroom.

flush next time

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

SRQ posted:

actually yes, windows 10 almost always breaks for me at every major update and over time I have had to reinstall it _more_ than 7 or 8.1 or earlier versions of 10

4 times this year in fact, 5 if you consider the one that hosed up downloading the update the day i installed it so i just sighed and flattened again

you are doing something extremely wrong.

perhaps examine the way in which you hold the device.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

dumbest windows 10 feature go

the split between the new and old style control panels

in a perfect world the new control panel wouldn't have been a thing until everything had actually been ported to it, instead of this pain in the rear end mix. some poo poo here, other poo poo there, oh look this link in the new style settings opens an old style item! barf

at the rate ms is moving poo poo i suspect that a bunch of the classic control panel items will never actually go away. they'll ditch the classic control panel itself though so there's gonna be a bunch of settings that will only be accessible in the most convoluted ways possible, or you just gotta remember the thing's name and win+r

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

dont be mean to me posted:

BORN TO CRASH
INTEL IS A gently caress
Kill Em All 1974
I am core dump
410,757,864,530 DEAD PROCESSES

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

mystes posted:

Since Windows RT and Windows 10 S were such a resounding success, Microsoft is working on yet another version of windows that only runs UWP applications: https://www.petri.com/microsofts-lite-os-starts-simple-with-plans-to-scale-up

(ok maybe it will eventually run desktop applications)

how many loving times are they going to try this

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

win7 is the new winxp

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-7-now-showing-end-of-support-warnings/

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i love having to change my "network connection profile" via powershell because hosed if i know how to do it in the UI. is the mechanism by which win10 selects the profile documented anywhere? because as far as i can tell you can have LLDP and all kinds of discovery poo poo enabled and it will still choose to dump you up into "Public" which kinda fucks things.

also it's real awesome how it gives arbitrary names to networks based on....well i don't know. my teamed NIC that is only allowed to reach iSCSI targets because i want it to? well that's "Unidentified network" and no...NO!!!

i still don't know how this poo poo works

i had to deal with this bullshit a few months ago at a friend's LAN party (lol) and it was really loving dumb.

infernal machines posted:

:shrug:

yeah, the setting shuffle is complete bullshit, but it is definitely there since 1803

nope, i'm still on 1803 and it's gone, the only option is to set as a metered connection. but i wouldn't be surprised if you do see it, the wonder of win10 is how inconsistent it's fuckups are. kinda curious if it shows up for wireless connections only and not wired or something stupid like that, hmm

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

a hearty lol at Stymie not managing to stay unprobed for 24 hours after his previous 30 day posting vacation

and if you actually manage files on a regular basis just buy Directory Opus imo, it's not that expensive
https://www.gpsoft.com.au/index.html

ugh jesus the world of 3rd party file managers is a grim and ugly one full of VB6, delphi, and angry nerds

though the screenshots of opus 12 there don't look quite as bad as whenever i last tried it, probably at least 10 years ago.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

this should be put in the first post

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

Windows 10X was round 2 of Windows RT

something that nobody wants besides Microsoft because Microsoft wants to eliminate all Windows software distribution outside of the Windows Store

related to that i think they also want something that can compete with chromebooks

they never will

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i also don't really expect this to be much other than 21h2, likely a marketing move to quell any impression that microsoft has generally moved on from windows (plus generally to drum up some coverage).

yeah that's what it looks like to me

calling this a "new" version might also let them squeeze out more money with licensing changes or some poo poo

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Perplx posted:

Of course not

wow i forgot about paul thurrott lol

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

hp, dell, and lenovo all make good laptops

they also make an absolute ocean of crap, from which you have to find the good ones. which models are good will vary from year to year. sometimes none of them are good, and you have to settle on "barely adequate".

yospos is also full of dumbasses who will loudly proclaim that $BRAND of laptop is terrible, when their only experience is from their work laptop which is underspecced trash because their company/IT department is run by cheapskate morons

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

that may be true, but we had a crop of elitebooks that were high spec dev machines with the worst failure rate i've ever seen. i was the only one without multiple board and part replacements out of seven on our team in three years time

that was almost a decade ago so maybe they've improved but it was a real bummer. they were also built like ugly tanks, then, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear they've improved measurably over the years. if you told me that was because they bought compaq and relabeled them for a few year I'd fully believe it based on how bad those were in the oughts

pc laptops were still impressively poo poo 10 years ago. intel had only just created the ultrabook concept, i'm convinced that it took their reference designs for pc manufacturers to catch up with apple

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

ah yes the loving weather display automatically added to Outlook by default for some reason, and the weather widget in the task bar that suddenly appeared by default for no reason. thanks michaelsoft!

the weather widget in the task bar that appeared to use its own font rendering because it was kind of weird and blurry

how and why the gently caress

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

the new task bar smells

this was a good post but honestly sounds like it could just be shortened to this

seriously lol @ the drag and drop fuckup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

mystes posted:

lolware, or maybe lmaoware

not as good as apple's lomarfware