Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

akadajet posted:

The only discussion they raised with Edge is "why? why keep making browsers?"

I don't use Edge but I'm glad it exists

A WebKit monopoly isn't significantly better than a Trident monopoly. If you have multiple credible browsers then the specification for how things work is a set of written standards. If there is one credible browser then the specification is 10 million lines of C++.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

CommunistPancake posted:

always wanted to see more emulators to do this. the same concept existed for the og xbox since it was an x86 windows pc for the most part.

would be better if somebody did this for the ps4 since that's already built around an x86-64 cpu. lil bit of virtualization and a shader recompiler and you're done bim bom so simple

it's the only way we're going to get a pc version of bloodborne, at any rate.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

carry on then posted:

it's a good talk but god drat does he come across like he's smarter than anyone who builds things because he can tear them down

seriously.

the south bridge soc thing makes sense in a lot of ways, especially for connected standby.

the iommu thing almost worked but for one silly error on sony's part and he goes into detail later about how there's a lot of hardware-level protection in place to defend against dma attacks from gpu subversion. seems like a lot of thought was put into dma-hardening in general.

anybody who understands even half of what he's talking about in the first place is going to know full well that instruction set architectures are distinct from system peripherals so idk why he's being such a smug by pointing this out in great length while sounding extremely pleased with himself

the weird i2c scripting, the pcie hall-of-mirrors, these all seem like lovely silicon errata that some poor bastard had to work 70 hours/wk to frantically work around because when you have to ramp production from 0 to god knows how many tens of millions of units per (insert short time frame here) you really don't get many revs in which to gild the silicon lily before you go to volume.

"there's a security chip but it doesn't do anything, you can just ignore it lmao" this guy knows exactly what a tpm is and what it's used for, he's just being a cock

acpi tables aren't strictly spec-compliant on a device that runs only one first-party os ever lmao is this mf serious

yes i'm sure sony cared deeply about spending literal months polishing up their register and firmware interfaces to pass conformance suites to reliably run all those alternative operating systems on the ps4 such as

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
could be chip errata. to take a completely wild guess maybe the dma controller inside the sata core is hosed and corrupts memory if both channels are active simultaneously

but then why not put the slow BD-ROM on UBS MS instead of the relatively fast hard disk? maybe it's a copy protection thing? like if the BD-ROM was just a usb device then you could easily stick some microcontroller-based bridge to serve an ISO to the console and then install to disk so that it runs fast. that might be a bit harder to do if you have to emulate sata. but who knows.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

maybe later but not today

also i think if you had the old ubuntu for windows and you install ubuntu for windows from the app store you get two ubuntu for windows installs lol

e: yep two installs

tbf the initial build of linux4windowz was some extremely pre-release poo poo and you had to go out of your way to install the alpha version of it

so, par for the course for linux stuff really

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
agreed, x1s carbon are good

especially when they run linux

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

hifi posted:

is smb1 just the checkbox in the windows feature menu

in japanese versions of windows it is called doki doki panic

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm curious, why telegram instead of signal

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Maximum Leader posted:

whats a "column-oriented" dbms

something you use when you know you want to gather a lot of data but you have no idea what the gently caress you're actually going to do with it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Windows xp blyat edition

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

we have a guy in ops who finds all the weirdest edge case bugs and hes autistic enough to give us very good replication scenarios. he owns.

hold on to this person with both hands

fake edit: not in a weird way

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
uuugh god drat it, the moment signal's electron shitclient gains some sort of webrtc audio/video calling i am going to chaos dunk skype into the garbage

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it's good that pirates will always be around cuz they keep the entertainment industry at least somewhat honest

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
app stores were a mistake

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Agile Vector posted:

gonna say that yeah outlook on mac is a marked improvement somehow

windows is still the best with the default but i nurse an arcane conflagration in thunderbird of many old accounts and it is charming to see the insane desktop only ui they have while admiring that it too is better than outlook will ever be

:eng101: a conflagration is a thing that is on fire

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Perplx posted:

it only works if its the only way to install apps, and that only works if you release your os after the dawn of ubiquitous broadband

I'm sort of wondering if Windows Driver Signing didn't have the right idea here.

Release your poo poo wherever you want, but it has to be signed by a certificate issued by an EV certificate authority.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
makes sense yeah

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
somehow even hippy dippy RISC-V cores manage to eke out better benchmarks per watt than Cortex-A53s though so god knows what's going on with ARM's own-brand application processor IP

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
risc-v is the esperanto of ISAs

but hey, any day now...

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm the Apple and Intel grade microarchitecture engineer who would work for free just purely for the love of the craft, you know?

as opposed to working for one of those two companies and earning 7 figgies

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the posix layer in nt existed to defraud the us government, not to do anything useful. it didn't even support network sockets and it couldn't interact with win32 processes in any way.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
thx microsoft for unleashing a drunken swarm of retarded python programers upon the world

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
touch screen is useful for testing shameful mobile app poo poo but that is literally all it is good for

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i could develop a native android app and deal with the trench effect-fueled blue flamed dumpster fire that is the android sdk and its emulators, or i could do some cordova trash and instantly test it within chrome

doing a user interface using css and javascript is actually a preferable experience to trying to do one natively. that's how badly they hosed up.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the n64 controller was like the model t of game controllers man

i.e. insanely unergonomic and alien by modern conventions of human-machine interactions

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
wow what a lovely loving snipe

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
unified stbs don't exist because up until recently the entire platform was owned by cable companies, which are basically corporeal manifestations of spite and hatred

these days idk i guess you can have a ps4 that plays video games and also netflix, w/e. what's the big deal

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Wheany posted:

i'm more of a drink beer in my underwear while browsing the forums kind of guy.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ma...lignment-dance/

:psypop:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

jony neuemonic posted:

the only other good db client i've used is psql, and that's a terminal-only thing that comes with postgres. why are they all so bad.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i cant imagine how empty my life would have to be to decide to spend any part of my all-too-limited time on this earth creating windows fanfiction

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

same

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Boiled Water posted:

gee thanks windows, but why didn't you just delete these files if it's safe to do so? especially when they're 12% of my total drive space on this dell shitbox?

somebody who is good at the operating system please help me budget this. my computer is dying

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

k now do one for the mic

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

also just like to reiterate how much i appreciate microsoft taking the opportunity to install random shitware any time i add a new user on a win 10 pro pc.

thanks for loving peggle ultimate disney's age of minecraft all over my start menu you worthless fucks

umm have you considered living in a country that's too poor to be worth advertising to???

(other than america for some reason)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Phoenixan posted:

the answer is probably ~video games~

this but unironically

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i would actually rather deal with random poo poo breaking and being "maintained" by easily-distracted teenagers than have actual honest-to-god loving malware baked into the os

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
gosh i really can't understand why anybody would refuse to upgrade to windows 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah, god it's simple, if you get an NTFS-formatted external drive and plug it into your Windows computer you just need to go into the properties and reset the permissions

no, not that setting, that won't work. the other one

no you have to go into advanced settings

no the other advanced settings

yeah you have to reset it to your SID. you do remember what your SID is right? idiot