Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

cumpantry posted:

seriously though it's time to unban lamps.

Nah.

Chicken Butt posted:

I can’t believe this thread finally roped in an actual living breathing Rothfuss fan. Clearly, this is the spice that we were missing.

It's great as he clearly came in here expecting it to be a fanthread and thought we were trolling him or something. I'm probably the only idiot here who has actually fully read the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Chicken Butt posted:

I can’t believe this thread finally roped in an actual living breathing Rothfuss fan. Clearly, this is the spice that we were missing.

It's always funny when they run out of steam and just bail on the thread. That always happens at some point and they they go 'goons grrr!' On reddit or whereever rothfuss fans hang out

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Willeh posted:

It's always funny when they run out of steam and just bail on the thread. That always happens at some point and they they go 'goons grrr!' On reddit or whereever rothfuss fans hang out

The problem with this thread for fans over say a "friendly" place like Reddit is that we're more interested in picking at the bones of the books and analyzing Rothfuss's business dealings rather than theory-crafting or telling each other how smart we are for liking the same thing.

Coming into this thread, a thread built on a deep literary critique of the books as examples of the written word, and telling everyone that they are in fact good, actually, requires extraordinary evidence and frankly there's just not enough substance in the two books and two novellas to argue that for more than a couple of pages before you'll simply have run out of text to cite despite just how loving long those two tomes are as very little actually happens to them.

We don't care about what little story there is or the two-dimensional characters that inhabit the handful of paper cutout buildings Rothfuss has propped up for them to exist in, so beyond getting dunked on there's little point in engaging here if you're a fan.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Kchama posted:

It's great as he clearly came in here expecting it to be a fanthread and thought we were trolling him or something. I'm probably the only idiot here who has actually fully read the books.

One more week and I'll have listened to the first two. I'm at the fuckfairy part now and it's rough, slow going but I think I'm past halfway through.

Or is there more?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Evil Fluffy posted:

add prequel poo poo to the end of ROTJ including a sad confirmation that Jar Jar's still alive.

Wait what did they do with jar jar

Kchama posted:

Nah I've read both books and the two novellas.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Chicken Butt posted:

Jivjov has been too busy to post here

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kchama posted:

Nah.

nah I read them too.

I was one of those people shocked a friend did not like the first book. Then when he said "you should read book of the new sun instead" I followed up by reading those and realized it was a matter of "consume enough poo poo and poo poo tastes good" for thinking that Name of the Wind was good or anything.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

pentyne posted:

nah I read them too.

I was one of those people shocked a friend did not like the first book. Then when he said "you should read book of the new sun instead" I followed up by reading those and realized it was a matter of "consume enough poo poo and poo poo tastes good" for thinking that Name of the Wind was good or anything.

It was the first and last book I bought at the recommendation of Penny Arcade.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

One more week and I'll have listened to the first two. I'm at the fuckfairy part now and it's rough, slow going but I think I'm past halfway through.

Or is there more?

The fuckfairy part is where it starts getting REALLY bad. So enjoy that thought.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I think I made it about 2/3rds through NOTW

Atlas Hugged posted:

When you are most definitely a critically thinking reader (edit: their stupid comic is 3 separate images for some reason so here's the stupid URL):

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/04/11/when-larry-met-mary

mp5 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 20, 2024

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Kchama posted:

I read the first two books and the Auri book. Haven't touched the new old remastered edition Bast book.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

mp5 posted:

When you are most definitely a critically thinking reader (edit: their stupid comic is 3 separate images for some reason so here's the stupid URL):

I like how they clarify that they had his approval to write that strip.

But they had a blog post at the very least for when NOTW came out and Gabe was absolutely gushing over it despite him admitting to having never really read a book before, and I think that basically sums up the fanbase.

Also, the comics are saved as three images because they have a panel randomizer that's kind of funny if you mess around with it and get a good combination.

Cranachan
Jun 29, 2023
A Penny Arcade follow-up, from 2017.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

They even made one talking about how sex-crazed Kvothe is. This is the vengeance-soaked man who will has no thoughts but revenge on the Chandarian.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Kchama posted:

They even made one talking about how sex-crazed Kvothe is. This is the vengeance-soaked man who will has no thoughts but revenge on the Chandarian.

Yeah they had a Rothfuss-based follow up for that one like 6 years later.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

God, that hurts to read. So smarmy.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

You go over to Rothfuss' fb page and its nonstop mockery.

These books being trash is hardly a subversive idea.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah, the r/kingkiller subreddit is about the only place I ever see positive takes on the books and/or Rothfuss.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

cumpantry posted:

seriously though it's time to unban lamps.

It really isn't.

Atlas Hugged posted:

The problem with this thread for fans over say a "friendly" place like Reddit is that we're more interested in picking at the bones of the books and analyzing Rothfuss's business dealings rather than theory-crafting or telling each other how smart we are for liking the same thing.

This place also isn't run by mods who will ban you for outlining the many issues with the books and Rothfuss. Reddit takes the echo chamber effect to the next level.

Vandar posted:

Wait what did they do with jar jar

At the end of ROTJ they replaced the original ending song with some boring poo poo and then also added a handful of celebration shots from various planets. One of those (the last one?) is Naboo and you hear Jar Jar yelling "we're free" or however the hell Jar Jar says it.

mp5 posted:

I can't imagine reading that strip and thinking it's anything other than a takedown of how stupid NOTW is. The idea something like this casts NOTW in a good light is just incredibly damning of the books' fans.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah I enjoyed a bit of BOTL's casual shanking of the book but also that guy was a joyless threadshitter so he should stay gone.

He got tossed out of BB and BSS even before the perma, didn't he?

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
I'm just glad I was alive to see this thread attract a bona fide Rothfuss-versteher. Their posts were like the taste of sand across a recumbent night sky. Wunderbar!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Kchama posted:

I'm probably the only idiot here who has actually fully read the books.

I read the books back in college, so around 12-ish years ago. Really enjoyed TNOTW, and I read WMF really fast too, but started to be like "huh? ...what?" at a lot of parts (sex fairy, the dumb ninjas who don't know where babies come from.)

Still, back then people were able to give Rothfuss the benefit of the doubt because there was an assumption all of this was part of a great plan. But none of it was, and then upon close readings all the nonsense comes through, and you realize even the metaphors which are the basis for his claims of great prose are incomprehensible.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Malpais Legate posted:

Yeah I enjoyed a bit of BOTL's casual shanking of the book but also that guy was a joyless threadshitter so he should stay gone.

He got tossed out of BB and BSS even before the perma, didn't he?

Correct on all counts.

Ccs posted:

I read the books back in college, so around 12-ish years ago. Really enjoyed TNOTW, and I read WMF really fast too, but started to be like "huh? ...what?" at a lot of parts (sex fairy, the dumb ninjas who don't know where babies come from.)

Still, back then people were able to give Rothfuss the benefit of the doubt because there was an assumption all of this was part of a great plan. But none of it was, and then upon close readings all the nonsense comes through, and you realize even the metaphors which are the basis for his claims of great prose are incomprehensible.

Well it makes me feel a little better that I wasn't the only one suckered into reading them. I was wary of them but hey, I was curious. My curiosity was never rewarded.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Pat bad; we mad

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Kchama posted:

Correct on all counts.

Well it makes me feel a little better that I wasn't the only one suckered into reading them. I was wary of them but hey, I was curious. My curiosity was never rewarded.

The early internet ecosystem where a handful of guys got stupidly lucky and turned their hobbies into massive platforms led quite a few of us down dumb rabbit holes, consuming media we never otherwise would have gone anywhere near.

Don't feel bad. If anything, our terrible experiences are valuable lessons for the next generation. I've noticed that people who grew up in the 00s and were extremely online are much better at smelling a scam than people who only got into the internet when Facebook and Twitter took off.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Atlas Hugged posted:

Same but a few years earlier I got World War Z on their recommendation which was honestly fine if nothing special.

Rothfuss is just a unique combo of awfulness

Carillon
May 9, 2014

One thing I never know how to react is when folks start recommending it to me. I'm at a job where someone on a slack channel recommends the series, and I don't want to like immediately tell them it's so trash, but I also don't want it to go unremarked.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I would probably be factual and avoid value judgments.

"This was really popular a few years ago, but is unfinished, and so there are some pretty big questions left unanswered and for me it wasn't very satisfying as a result. You might want to wait until it's done. In the meantime, read Dune (or whatever book/series you want to recommend)."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think we've been waiting for more than 10 years for book 3, with no signs of it coming out anytime soon.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Torrannor posted:

I think we've been waiting for more than 10 years for book 3, with no signs of it coming out anytime soon.

That's the trick. If you tell people not to start until it's finished, they'll simply never start.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Carillon posted:

One thing I never know how to react is when folks start recommending it to me. I'm at a job where someone on a slack channel recommends the series, and I don't want to like immediately tell them it's so trash, but I also don't want it to go unremarked.

"what else have you read recently that's good?"

You'll get a good sense if they are a fanboy of the book or an avid reader of schlock genre fiction in general. Conversely you can offer up something better, like Book of the New Sun, and mention how it does the general idea better.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Carillon posted:

Lean into it. Show them the blog posts. "I dislike Rothfuss both as an author and as a man. He is a terrible writer and a worse human being". Start pounding the table. When security comes, explain it to them too.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

i just wish kvothe (and by extension rothfuss) never discovered girls

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Raiad posted:

i just wish kvothe (and by extension rothfuss) never discovered girls

One of my reasons for wanting to make everything really gay is being really gay, but one of my other reasons is that stories including heterosexuality because it's apparently compulsory and not because they seem to enjoy it all that much is really boring.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I still think about (negatively, with disgust) that bit at the start of Name of the Wind where Bast is all "I learned why great lovers have better eyesight than great scholars". Just an annoying bit that sets the tone for the entire series as being a high-school level 'joke'.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So a coworker I tried to convince not to read this series a month or so back did read it, because all her friends kept telling her how good it was. But she recently finished The Name of the Wind and said "it wasnt very good, like it was readable but compared to Robin Hobb its like nothing happens in these books", and is going back to those books instead of continuing to Wise Man's Fear.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ccs posted:

So a coworker I tried to convince not to read this series a month or so back did read it, because all her friends kept telling her how good it was. But she recently finished The Name of the Wind and said "it wasnt very good, like it was readable but compared to Robin Hobb its like nothing happens in these books", and is going back to those books instead of continuing to Wise Man's Fear.

She's extremely right. gently caress-all happens in Name of the Wind, it is roughly 70% Kvothe loving around in Wizard College. Like, people should have known the series was never being finished in 3 books just from that. 1/3rd of the way through Kvothe's amazing legend and almost all of it is spent on pub crawling and shenanigans. What legendary acts did he even cover? Got his back whipped but didn't bleed because he took not-asprin that stops bleeding that they sell literally on campus. Killed the 'dragon' by getting it really stoned until it killed itself. And got accepted into college early thanks to skipping grades in high school effectively.

EDIT: Right, I guess he played a song really good despite having broken a string on his lute. Which I guess is fairly impressive.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 1, 2024

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ccs posted:

I wonder if she's gotten to the Liveship traders books yet because the first 100 or so pages of the first book comes across as a competition where a bunch of characters are trying to out-rear end in a top hat each other though Kyle is the clear winner but then once things get moving it's fine. She's smart for stopping after NotW because WMF is just so much worse in ever possible way.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I generally quite enjoyed Robin Hobb's books, even if the author is a bit strange. It's a good choice. And I very much appreciate that not all of her books have Fitz as the main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Fitz makes an interesting contrast to Kvothe in that it's never certain whether his narration is simply Fitz putting himself down too much, or if everyone and everything in the universe really is actively conspiring to poo poo all over him.