Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

My theory is Rothfuss came up with the idea of fallen hero king killer Kovthe early on because he thought the King Killer Chronicles was a badass name and worked backwards from there. Once he started writing plucky street orphan turned prodigy Kvothe he either forgot about the original concept or figured he had all the time in the world to get there. Maybe toward the end of the second book he was like, oh yeah I should probably have a king somewhere in this story Kvothe can maybe kill?

I'm guessing he got to the third book and discovered the random tidbits he threw in to make his story mysterious weren't going to come together into an earth shattering resolution that would alter the reading of the previous two books, or would amount to something stupid. For example who's the king that Kvothe will kill? It could be Ambrose but having Kvothe's childhood bully be the ultimate bad guy sounds horrendously dumb... but who else would that even be if not a new character.

So yeah. I think Rothfuss is at a roadblock where finishing the story he wanted to write will take real work to fit together fragments of foreshadowing into a satisfying narrative, and it's work that should have ideally been done while writing those tidbits. Instead Rothfuss put it off for later and was happy enough writing two books full of self contained slice of life anecdotes of a fantasy college student. A better author would have had some kind of ending planned out and a more self aware author would have just written something, anything, to resolve the plot and get the book out.

Rothfuss isn't smart enough to plan ahead and isn't self aware enough to realize he won't find a magic throughline from the blocks of nothing happening in the first two books. Instead he'll keep working to make the third book perfect, which it will be as soon as he figures out one or two things out, promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

So it's a rewrite of a story he had already written and published? Wow I knew Pat was lazy but that's next level. Imagine being a mega fan waiting years praying for a majestic third book and then he finally releases a new book and it's a rewrite of an old short story.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I still don't know how you write a story called the King Killer Chronicles and then forget to introduce a king for the killing.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Kvothe is 25 probably because Pat came up with the idea at like 16 or 17 when anyone past college age seems seriously ancient. For this same reason he picked a badass name like the King Killer Chronicles even though the actual story doesn't have a single king anywhere in it, and for similar reasons his main character spends most of the story moping about unrequited crushes and scrounging for beer money.

You don't need Kvothe looking 25 but secretly being 47 in fairy years to explain that, and anyway I'm not sure how that would work within the story we've been given so far, unless I forgot a chapter where Kvothe is like wow I was in fairy world loving non stop for six weeks but it's still st Patrick's day weekend, or I missed chronicler saying oh you're Kvothe that guy from forty years ago

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It would be pretty bad if the story ended at that point yeah. Thankfully a third movie came out not too long after the second did and cleared everything up.