Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Rothfuss wearing that Joss Whedon shirt sureeee takes on a different meaning after the whole revelations that Whedon was never a true believer in feminism and just did it to bone young actresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

It's one thing to read a book absent of the opinions and views of its author. Sure tons of famous fantasy/SF authors turned out to be horrible human beings, but it's not like Marion Zimmer Bradley wrote into her books how it was okay to sanction and participate in the abuse of children or Orson Scott Card wrote a bunch of stuff about brutalizing and killing gay people, so you could still enjoy the core content of what they wrote without being fed their own personal hosed up life ideas.

I'm prettyyyyy sure you're wrong there.

Though he did seem to go back and forth on this.

You aren't wrong about Rothfuss though, except for the 'always a hair away from calling her a whore' as he literally does that at one point because he gets mad.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Yeah. Bradley thought it was "okay" to "sanction" child abuse (it's not like she raped her daughter or anything), while Card is apparently some kind of serial killer.

Edit: I just love that because pentyne agrees with Bradley's ideology and not Card's, Bradley's goddamn loving vileness has to be downplayed as much as possible and Card has to be the real monster. In a post about being level-headed in spite of ideological differences. :ironicat:

I will be fair to them: The fact that Bradley took part in the abuse and rape is a pretty newly known thing, compared to knowing that she was okay with her daughter (EDIT: and son I wish I didn't need to edit that in) being abused and raped, which people have known for like decades. EDIT: Bradley being a rapist was only known a few years ago. While Card's particular brand of evil has been known for like 17 years.

Also while I don't think Card has murdered anyone, he has totally written about how super evil gay people are and how they deserve death and encouraging oppression and worse.

So he has been kind of open about being an evil monster, unlike Bradley.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 8, 2017

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's true. Thinking spiteful and stupid things about a group of people makes you a monster, just like raping your daughter for years. And three years is a blink of an eye on the Internet, far too short a time for word to get around.

Attempting galvanizing people to hurt entire groups DOES make you a monster, even if you aren't successful. It's not like it can't have an affect, like Scott Lively convincing a country to make being gay punishable by death.

And it's not like everyone is wired in on every awful thing an author has done, especially someone who has been dead for decades. Hell, you appeared to be as unaware as I was that she molested her son.

So I'm fine with cutting someone some slack.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Card hates homosexuality because he believes that it is morally wrong. Depressingly misguided as it is, he's at least following his conscience (informed by a lifetime lived in the Mormon faith). When Bradley spent years and years raping her daughter, it was because she had a black, sucking void where a conscience should have been. That is a loving monster, and don't trivialize that by trying to equate Card with her.
I wasn't saying they were equals at all. They're both poo poo. Just on different levels. Hell, I was the one saying that Card WASN'T a brutal murderer, remember?

Also "he thinks it's right" reallllyyyyy doesn't make Card less of a lovely person. It just means it's going to be that much harder to realize he is an awful terrible person.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The way I remembered it, she got their daughter and her husband got their son. If that's not true, blame it on my reading the news three years ago, although I don't know how much grace that gets me since that might as well have been this morning apparently.

Unfortunately, no. According to Marion's daughter, Marion was far worse then her husband and had many more victims beyond the two! :suicide:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Card is a lovely person because you have to be a person to be a lovely person. Bradley was an exemplary monster.

Now we're just arging degrees.

To underail, at least so far Rothfuss hasn't been discovered to use his fame to bone fans or something.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Haha I was looking through Orson Scott Card's Wikipedia page and he apparently wants tolerance from people for his attempts to get gay people jailed now that he's definitely lost his struggle to criminalize being LGBT. What a fucker.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Bradley and Breen left a lot of wreckage in their wake...

It's sad it took long after their deaths for it to come out. Like, I get the daughter's reason for remaining silent after she put her dad in jail, but she told people and no one said a word.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
At least he's right to compare it to Harry Potter. Just not in the way he thinks.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
... Are there actually any complex schemes or plans or cheating in the Kingkiller Chronicles? His most complex one is with the school treasurer and it makes very little sense. The rest is just "I hid in the back room and spied on question time!" or "I took a drug that made me not bleed."

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
You know, I was rereading some of it on a lark and the entire scene with the Chandarian early on just kind of... ruins their whole supposed mystique. And is out of character from everything we're told. Though that seems tobe a constant with their two appearances. It's like Rothfuss heard that to be mysterious you never have to show up... but still included old story fragments where they did and then just acted like generic villians.

Like I think Rothfuss wrote himself into a corner with the whole "They kill anyone who talks about them and destroys all records of their existence" considering this would make it incredibly hard for Kvothe to know who they were. And of course leaving Kvothe alive just... is against their MO.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

I like how they had to flee before killing kvothe because the Amyr(?) were on to them, even though the chardrian leader is supposedly unkillable and and insanely powerful Namer on top of that.

Also the Amyr never show up. And I'd be surprised if the Amyr got word of them killing a bunch of bards in the middle of the woods within like 5 minutes. It's super obviously a "Oh I'd kill you but LOOK AT THE TIME" and they definitely had plenty of time to set him on blue fire before they left.

EDIT: Like he finds them just hanging around the wagon campfire and are like "Sup."

Kchama fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 20, 2017

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

They didn't kill him because the story couldn't have that. It would have made more sense if he just spotted them from the woods and overheard everything.

Yeah it's one of those things where it's very obvious poor writing. And then you get to Tarbean where Kvothe forgets he knows magic, Ben stops existing, and Kvothe forgets he has amazing wilderness survival skills and decides to stay in a city that hates him instead of hanging out in the woods like he did before without any trouble.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Tarbean made no sense with its timeline. And I know it fits with the rest of the dreck, but it was so jarring that it stood out against the heavy recommendations I had received for the books.

He has no reason to be in Tarbean for even a week, much less the months (years?) he spends there. It's abject misery, a poor fantasy boy's travelogue adventure that seemed and seems to be from an entirely different series. Much like the bulk of Book 2.

THREE YEARS. Three years he was there! And he basically made no attempt to find either of the guys who could or would adopt him.

I've heard theories that it's one of those prewritten stories that he just dropped in, and that's why it didn't fit in at all. Like when he murdered the fake Edema Ruh later on, which is told in an entirely different style and acts like Kvothe is a mysterious molester stranger we've never seen before.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

PJOmega posted:

*Is it really spelled Mayor? I figured it was Meijer or something. Audio book problems.

It's 'Maer', but his job is mayor and he's called 'The Maer' so people out of the books just say 'mayor' because it's easier to remember.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Yeah, I think that theory is pretty on the nose. Every writer has random thought pieces they'll jot down. It would explain the lack of magic. The lack of relevance to the world at large. The difference in world feel.

Same with, as you mentioned, the fake not-gypsies. Or world war 1 in the forest. Or sex ninjas. Or sex faery. Or love and war in the time of Go. They're all tonally dissonant and feel like they were written as separate pieces that got round pegged into the square hole that is his "completed three book epic."

So pretty much most of Wise Man's Fear that wasn't a retread of Harry Potter.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Pretty sure I bitched about this in the first thread too, but the Tarbean part not only makes no tonal sense, it directly undermines actual poo poo that happens later. "You don't know what it's like to be truly poor," says Kvothe about how embarrassed he is to not have enough shirts or not being able to afford to go out to eat with his friends... conveniently forgetting that time he beat another kid's brains in with a brick on the corner of Rape Street and Starvation

He has to retcon part of this in Wise Man's Fear even! Where in Name of the Wind he goes "Yeah I got raped by rapers". But in Wise Man's Fear he makes a big fuss about how he managed to beat them up enough to escape.

He also set a kid on fire, don't forget that. But no, the TRULY POOR can't go out to eat and drink beer every single night with friends.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ZeroCount posted:

pretty sure rothfuss actually hates poor people. Tarbean is framed as basically a descent into actual factual hell only all the other street urchins are inherently evil and Kvothe doesn't associate with them until his inherent virtue allows him to simply shake off his poverty and rejoin the middle class in about a day. He doesn't deserve to be down here, you see. The horror here isn't even about being poor, it's literally about how Kvothe was poor when he didn't deserve to be.

I can't say you're wrong, as I've heard Tarbean's poorer areas described by people as 'supernaturally dangerous' and that's not a wrong description, considering the literal roving bands of child rapists and murderers. Like 99% of Tarbean was just so Kvothe can suffer and look better for it. And LITERALLY the moment he decides to leave, he takes a single bath and suddenly he looks like a proper Rich Person he was destined to be all along.

EDIT: OH and then in the middle of the Tarbean section he goes and visits a local storyteller who tells him the True History of the Chandrian, but the dude doesn't get murdered by blue fire. No, an inquisitor takes him away. Because they exist. And basically are never mentioned again, despite Hogwarts being like a couple days travel away.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 21, 2017

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
It's almost impressive how obvious it is that the Tarbean section was just dropped into the Name of the Wind with only adding in the frame-work bits around it. Like, I think this was actually written before his parents were brutally murdered, which is why the story keeps insisting that even three and a half years later he's still completely numb and in shock and unable to think about their deaths when he doesn't act like it 90% of the time. And then the narration suddenly turns third-person to tell us to forgive Kvothe for not TRULY knowing sorrow just yet, despite having your family and everyone you know killed probably being a PRETTY good lesson on sorrow.

And then he gets a bath and bullies some poor people into giving him free stuff like clothes because after a single bath he looks like a super-handsome and perfect rich boy despite having not eaten well for three years (but also homeless enough for a cobbler to realize he's homeless) and literally everything that happened over the last three and a half years just 'washes away' and he becomes cool and suave and able to con anyone and everyone (and suddenly he's afraid of crowds despite having been in them literally hundreds of times over the last three and a half years because blah blah nonsense about never truly being IN the crowd until then because the fragment is over and Rothfuss had to scramble to explain why he's suddenly acting completely differently.

And then he gets to Hogwarts and I'm pretty sure it was suppose to be Literally Hogwarts instead of Hogwarts College age-wise because despite him being several years too young to be admitted into the college by normal measures, literally no one points this out and everyone treats him as the same age as everyone else despite him being like 3-7 years younger then the rest of them.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Aughhh. Rothfuss, make up your mind if Kvothe isn't a Smooth Charmer or 'shy around women'.

Though I don't know why Fela (IIRC? It's been a few pages and none of the girls at school except Auri have any individual personality) even stands Kvothe after his whole "Maybe you should go rape her in an alley so she'll be justified in being upset at you raping you raper!"

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Definitely would have been better. Sociopath Harry Potter is a good concept. DracoAmbrose bring an insufferable rear end? Burn him alive in his rooms in the inn he purchased out of spite. Arson you say? On what evidence! What a horrible tragedy.

Ambrose is one of the biggest reasons why I think it was originally suppose to be a high school story or Kvothe was suppose to be older. Dude does not treat Kvothe like the little brat he is, but like someone his own age being a poo poo.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Cicero posted:

At least the series spawned a rad game: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LFA7QFK/

I've played it a handful of times and it's pretty fun!

Wow, 41 bux for some cardboard and random wooden blocks?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

This is supposed to be about his writing process but he spends 90% of the video plugging some charity website, so he can't even get that right. :psyduck:

Pretty sure it's because he doesn't have a process to really talk about. That'd explain where book 3 is.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ccs posted:

Films AND a show?! Geezus.

Will people realize how silly certain things in the series are when they try to put it on film? Will the show end up being much much better than the films because they're written by professional Hollywood writers and not based directly on the novels?

So many questions.

Kingkiller could work as an anime though. In the fantasy/harem genre.

Can't wait to see the Felurian Sex Scene Movie. Or the Sex Ninja Sex Scene Movie.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pakman posted:

Can someone do me a solid and link me the blog posts that prove rothfuss is s garbage human? It had to do with the felurian stuff and good weird rear end views i think.

I'll have to dig through a lot to find it, but I could try soon. The one I'm definitely thinking of is the one where he compares the Star Wars prequels to meeting your childhood sweetheart who you crushed on from afar but never really knew as an adult and finding out she is a DIRTY AWFUL BITCH WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOREEE WHORE.

And suddenly all those lines of Kvothe about whores make sense. Like the one where he 'helps' Fela by telling Ambrose that if he wants to rape her like she's a whore, he should go do it in a backalley so she'll be justified in screaming.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

tastyburrito posted:

The troupe masquerading as Edema Ruh that Kvothe encounters and kills after leaving Ademre should have been real Edema Ruh. It's kind of bizarre that they weren't, actually. The story's supposed to be some kind of tragedy where the world is brought into disarray by the hero's own arrogance. Much of Kvothe's pride rests on his identity as an Edema Ruh, and having Kvothe's pride shattered from the revelation his people aren't the noble entertainers that he remembers from his early childhood would be a crucial point in his character arc. Or maybe his own family are the odd ones out, but most Ruh are in fact the thieves and bandits that their reputation makes them out to be. It would also be the right point in the development of the story (ie. Luke confronting Vader at the end of Empire). I guess they could have been actual Edema Ruh, and Kvothe was acting as an unreliable narrator and whitewashing the whole thing. If that was Rothfuss' intent, it wasn't apparent to me. The whole segment was bland and seemed to serve no long term purpose other than the prompt the Maer's wife to banish Kvothe from the castle.

This is entirely because he was ripping them off from Wheel of Time, and also real-life Romani (who Wheel of Time was using too). So he might have felt it was a bit too racist if they were Literally The Stereotypical Thieves Everyone Thought They Were and went too hard making them Pure Noble People.

You can see the seams of how that was actually the first story he wrote about Kvothe, because Kvothe straight up poisons them all lethally before he even finds out about them being rapists or fake Edema Ruh because they were thieves.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

quote:

DEADLINE: And you’re leaving Lionsgate as The Kingkiller Chronicle is gearing up with the hope of a new franchise.
WACHSBERGER: The book is great. It’s massive and such a rich universe. This is the goal for every single studio: How to get a franchise. I remember for us at Summit the first one was Step Up and then Twilight and Now You See Me and Divergent. On this one, there is no question it could be a minimum of three movies and could be as many as six. Patrick Rothfuss is writing another book now and it’s going to be a big book in terms of size. I have no idea when he’s going to come out with it, but it’s such a great, amazing universe and that’s I think probably one of the reasons Sam Raimi took it, and he was not the only one who wanted it. And Lin-Manuel Miranda, that was an incoming call. Usually on movies you try to go after a director and other people. On this one it was coming our way. It took a long time. We had to go to Comic-con to basically track Patrick to convince him to do a movie and to do it with us

From a 'recent' (last month) interview with the Lionsgate CEO as he's on his way out.

How the hell are you getting six movies out of the books? Less than one book worth of stuff has happened so far.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Has there been like, any news on Kingkiller Chronicles at all. The books I mean. Not the series/movies that might not ever happen and will probably turn out like the attempt at the live-action Noir Starz series.

Except in this case that might be an improvement.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

He DID? I assumed that it was another instance of Mean, Unjustified Persecution.

I'd actually be surprised, considering he literally said that people who wanted to know when his book was going to come out were literally smelly and deserved to die, so...

Unrelated, but lol his TV show and movie are never going to happen. They have Raimi to direct but Raimi will literally attach his name to anything for a while. Like that thankfully ill-fated Noir TV show adaptation by Showtime, which he was going to direct.

Thankfully also went nowhere.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Rothfuss posted:

Book 3 will complicate the overall Kingkiller Chronicle even more. �There are things in Name of the Wind you can�t understand until you�ve read Wise Man�s Fear. There�s things in both of those books you won�t be able to understand until you read Doors of Stone,� Rothfuss said. �That�s the way I wrote them very deliberately, and it makes for a very long-lasting reading experience. If you read my books only once, you kind of miss most of them.�

Wow. Amaze us with your wonderfully new storytelling techniques.

Though I can't say that that's particularly the case, I don't remember anything beyond "poo poo that just has no explanation whatsoever finally being explained".

Rothfuss posted:

But more than details from the series, the movie, or Book 3, fans seemed to want to know how Rothfuss worked, how he pushed forward on such a complex project. For Rothfuss, it all came down to mental health, which is just as important to a writer as tools are to a carpenter. �Therapy. Everyone should go to therapy,� he said. �You would have Book 3 by now, had I started 10 years earlier.�

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

The entire story was allegedly one draft he submitted to a publisher. The publisher loved it so much they wanted it split it into 3 books. That was 12 years ago. This was told by the same person who said the pizza delivery guy recognized his stick game and gushed over how great it was.

It's more likely its like a "Frank Herbert left tons of notes, partial drafts etc." that Brian Herbert told the world when he and Kevin J Anderson started making GBS threads out a bunch of Dune novels but in reality it didn't really exist. Whatever Rothfuss has in 2005 was probably poo poo and since then he's just been stroking his own ego, basking in his "true author" nerd cred, and taking any opportunity he can to join Kickstarter campaigns as a featured writer.

Various stuff has more or less confirmed this. Like he at one point vague admitted that the draft he submitted was uh... a loving lie or something. Like his 'draft' of the third book was mostly empty and just had 'Ambrose does something here'. So probably the stor of the publisher loving 'the entire story' that was submitted as 'one draft' was probably nonsense. It kind of comes off as nepotism, because I dunno any publishing house that would handle Rothfuss's nonsense pre-fame. Maybe he knew someone who worked there, like Paolini.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
It's pretty impressive how the Rothfuss thread(s) went from breathlessly in love to hatred to complete disinterest in the time it took for the third book to still not come out.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Wheeee posted:

It's dumb, but it promises an adventure. What you get is... Not really an adventure.

Really the issue with Rothfuss is one that's become extremely common in Western cultures, that he's the stupid man's smart person. He's Elon Musk.

It's so pretentious and smug that basically in the end what can you expect but Smug And Pretentious Harry Potter?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
You know, a conversation with a friend actually made me question something.

ARE Rothfuss's books popular? Like, I know there's a fandom, but it doesn't seem to have near the one that Game of Thrones has. It's known very widely ad you can talk to most anyone and they've heard of it.

Most people I mention Kingkiller Chronicle to for any reason have never heard of it, and it doesn't seem to have gotten very audible acclaim that'd cause large public awareness.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

The only upside to the tv show is that it'll almost certainly make Ambrose in to some over the top villain because if it doesn't then people are going to probably relate with him and his reaction to a self entitled poo poo like kvothe.

As far as I know Ambrose won't be in the TV show. It's a prequel to the books (presumably because they realized the two books did not have a TV show worth of plot) about two bards. Though the fact that Sam Raimi is signed on makes me think it might be DoA, after the last licensed thing he signed onto. (Noir, which was going to have an absolutely dreadful live-action adaptation from Sam Raimi until it died in hell.)

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Wait, adapted from the anime Noir? I mean, it wouldn't take much to make that show a live action thing, but...enh. Let's not.

From the anime Noir, yes.

I mean, it wouldn't, since it basically is that kind of thing just animated.

Of course they were gonna change it up by adding male characters to be the actual protagonists and love interests of the titular Noir.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Ugh, is that supposed to be a Doctor Who reference? Eragon pulled that poo poo as well as I recall.

I literally thought the same thing, especially when he just called him 'The Doctor'.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
So anything been going on with these books? It kind of feels like everyone has slowly stopped caring about them entirely.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

They haven't, though Raimi quitting the show last month is probably the kiss of death. Same thing happened to the attempts to make a live-action adaptation of Noir. Raimi quit and everything died.

Good thing, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Listening to the second book on audible is a goddamn chore. Started skipping chapters and its basically this:

Feluri-

When Felu-

We spent the night, Fel-

After Felur-

I have so many complaints about this book, but it's not even worth the effort to write them down. I don't think I'm going to finish this drat book. I could just read The Book of the New Sun for the 3rd time instead.

Just post! It's worth the effort 'cuz we will enjoy it.