Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Jesus loving Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'm pickle riiick!

haha lmao

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It's like running off of a cliff in a cartoon

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

P-Rotty posted:

He discussed how, yes, he had completed a draft of the entire Kingkiller Chronicle back in 2000 but described this early version as “a book you would not have liked, because it was just discernibly bad” 

So what's his excuse for 2007/2011?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Atlas Hugged posted:

When my ESL students describe their reactions to writing samples using terms like that, I typically fail them on the assignment.

This guy is a professional author and the best he can come up with is that what he read was witty and clever.

It was also fun and funny

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

That's Goon Meets. The other poster was looking for the sex forum: Goon Meats.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Patrick, if you wanna go do some "mad scientist poo poo" just go under your kitchen sink or in your laundry room and just mix random stuff from the bottles and containers you find in there. Preferably without your wife or child(ren?) home.

Parody, parody. Please don't mix random poo poo and then ingest it. One of the cool things about science and medicine is that they let us live longer and give us more time to appreciate art/music/lovely fantasy novels.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Idk, a lot of his identity seems to be "I'm a writer"

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It was hard enough to get any of my big nerd friends in the same room together before the pandemic, now it's even harder

e: to clarify we can all physically fit into the same room, easily.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Doctor Faustine posted:

The biggest bummer about the Kvothe books, other than Rothfuss’ dogshit prose, is that the idea of “legendary figure tells his own story and reveals it is all bullshit” is actually a really fun concept for a tight, 200-300 page novel... and that’s not what we got.

This concept but every other chapter is the equivalent of a Politifact/Snopes article

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

lmao freezer fireball

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It am a mystery indeed.

:iiam:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Nae posted:

It's weird that he went for fire as the metaphor when he's talking about how run down and wrecked kvothe is and rust is right there.

Yeah, embers would at least be a more interesting comparison, especially because it's a fire that's going out, but can potentially be stoked and fueled back to full.

Anyways, the lack of a third book is the true third silence

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Ready Player One is just incredibly frustrating to me, because it's one of the most dogshit books I've read and I just loathe it and what it represents about our media consumption...

..but everyone that I personally know who loves the movie/book are very kind/inoffensive, pretty much just say "I really liked it, it was a lot of fun :)" so I can't even be mad at them or argue with them about it

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

eXXon posted:

Here's my unbiased top 25 fantasy novels of all time ranking. Sorry, NoTW just missed the cut.

1. The Eye of the World
2. Gardens of the Moon
3. Deadhouse Gates
4. The Great Hunt
5. Memories of Ice
6. House of Chains
7. The Dragon Reborn
8. The Shadow Rising
9. Midnight Tides
10. The Bonehunters
11. The Fires of Heaven
12. Lord of Chaos
13. Reaper's Gale
14. Toll the Hounds
15. A Crown of Swords
16. The Path of Daggers
17. Dust of Dreams
18. The Crippled God
19. Winter's Heart
20. Crossroads of Twilight
21. Knife of Dreams
22. The Gathering Storm
23. Towers of Midnight
24. A Memory of Light
25. New Spring

Are these a mix of World of Warcraft quests/factions?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I think my favorite part of Pat taking so long to write the 3rd book is that he's WELL past what I would think is the smartest move if you're not confident in your ability to satisfyingly finish the trilogy: just put something, anything out and if it's poorly received say "I was rushed into finishing it! I really wish I could've taken the time this epic conclusion deserves but alas..."

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

So he's been reading about as much as he's been writing, huh? drat, what a sick author

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

the third silence is the book never comin' out!!! :thurman:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I don't really think it's toxic. There's no going into the subreddit and touching the poop or anything, and Rothfuss is definitely worthy of heavy criticism given the past decade+ of no real authorship.

I personally find it fun to get the occasional update on how he's putting off writing the book, what with promising to read chapters or do writings streams and whatnot.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Unbookmark the thread, then :shrug:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I'm just gonna say that I'll forgive all the sex god stuff if the reason he gets kicked out of school is that he won't stop making sympathy powered sex toys in the workshop

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

My name is Hamilton and I'm here to say,
The English monarchy's bad in a major way

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A few different people ahve suggested I close this thread, under the theory that it's just toxic rothfuss-slamming and there's little point in keeping it going.

Do people feel this thread is still serving a purpose or should I take it out back behind the chemical sheds?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Putting on my serious hat for a moment . ..

Does this thread really need to stay open? "Pat the write, Rothbook!" is fine and all but is that all this thread is staying open for these days?

Open threads aren't like leaving a lightbulb on or something, they can stay open even if they're not getting any posts! It's not like it's a drain on resources or choking out other discussion or something, and it'd be silly if something interesting were to happen in Mr. Rothfuss's life and/or career and we had to wait for someone to reopen the thread to discuss it.

Anyways, see you in 6 months!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Adapt it into a TV show and have it follow the books pretty closely until he gets to The University, then start sprinkling in scenes were Kvothe isn't present, or not the focus, and slowly reveal that he's pretty loathed/barely tolerated

Basically, an extended rehash of that one episode of 30 Rock where Lemon thought she was shy and everyone hated her in high school when in reality she was cruelly mean and everyone rightfully disliked her

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Patrick Rothfuss posted:

When I was first published. I thought communicating with folks online would be easy. I post an update, everyone reads it. Easy peasy. Right?

It only took a couple years to realize it doesn’t work that way. I can spend 10 hours writing a blog about how my Dad’s in hospice, explaining how the whole thing’s upheaved my life, been hard on my boys, and utterly destroyed any semblance of normalcy in my world…. Then later that day still get half a dozen people pinging me on different platforms asking me why it’s been years since my last book was out.

Maybe spend 10 hours writing the book. I'm sure he's grieving, but it's absolutely pathetic to use your dad's health as an excuse for why you've spent a decade procrastinating.

ESPECIALLY in the announcement for you starting an entirely different project! I guess you're not actually that torn up about it if you can find the time for a new novella.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I got my BS at 25 and my MPH at 30 :smith:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

pentyne posted:

Rothfuss is a Joss Whedon feminist especially for all the negatively that can be associated with that term.

"I love a woman's tits and rear end just as much as the next guy, but the part of her body that gets me the most ROCK HARD is her brain."

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The Bible (~100 CE) -> The golden plates from which The Book of Mormon was translated (~400 CE)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Kchama posted:

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/04/11/when-larry-met-mary

They even made one talking about how sex-crazed Kvothe is. This is the vengeance-soaked man who will has no thoughts but revenge on the Chandarian.

Yeah they had a Rothfuss-based follow up for that one like 6 years later.