Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Assuming it's ever released. It might not be. Maybe Rothfuss decides to go into poetry or some other poo poo he's unqualified to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Reene posted:

City of Brass was alright. It needed some polish, and I expect the next one to be better in that respect.

As for Sanderson I finally picked up the first Stormlight book on the recommendation (read: constant loving badgering) of a friend and I'm about 250 pages in and I'm wondering when the plot actually starts to happen or when a character I give a poo poo about will appear. It's bad enough that he's apparently TurboMormon and I won't see any gay people in the drat books, c'mon.

Yes, hello, that will never happen. The Stormlight books never get interesting, as of at least the last current book in the series. I got so bored I actually just dropped the book and didn't bother finishing the last 100 pages. The Mistborn trilogy was definitely better and more engaging, but this is my personal opinion subject to bias etc. etc.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

incredible flesh posted:

i am felurian irl and let me tell you, i suck rear end and can't keep a job

That's weird, pretty sure people will pay you to suck rear end. Tried putting on clothes?

Karnegal posted:

But if you enjoy take downs of bad books, here's a single session helping for WMF if you don't want to read a chapter-by-chapter http://ferretbrain.com/articles/article-751

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to include an excerpt: 'Oh Felurian. Where to begin.

Felurian is that staple of fantasy novels, the deadly naked sex monster. She's the most beautiful, most alluring, most sexually attractive woman you'll ever see, and she will totally kill you with sex.

Felurian is the sirens, and Artemis and pretty much every other sex-death-nudity chick from mythology or fiction rolled into one. Kvothe catches her, bones her, breaks free of her sex-death-nudity mind control, completely whips her rear end in a straight fight, then bones her again, then plays music that makes her think he's awesome, then writes half a song about her that is so awesome that she agrees to let him go so that he can finish it, then disses her sexual prowess, which prompts her to get really insecure and tell him what an amazing lover he is, then they have sex some more, then she sews him a magic cloak, while he goes away and talks to a prophetic tree which turns out to be evil.

Then they have sex some more, then he comes back to the real world and is all “bros, I totally did it with Felurian” and everybody is all like “no way, you'd be mad or dead” and he's like “no I totally did it with Felurian” and then the hot barmaid from earlier is all like “no he's definitely telling the truth because I am a woman and I can see that he has got totally sexed up since we last met, because I tried to sex him and it freaked him out, but now it looks like he wouldn't be freaked out and also he would be totally awesome at sexing.” Then Kvothe does sex with the hot barmaid and he is totally awesome at it, and he explains how doing sex with the hot barmaid is totally as good as doing sex with Felurian, because women are like music and sometimes you want to listen to a beautiful symphony and sometimes you just want a nice simple jig, and by the way this definitely isn't sexist, and if you think it is then you know nothing about music or love or him.'

Yeah it's loving stupid. It's not the worst writing I've ever seen (I reserve that for Lev "aptly named" Grossman and the fox sex bullshit) but it's wayyy up there.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ulmont posted:

Check his rap sheet and cross-check his avatar text.

That is just cruel and unusual.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ornamented Death posted:

The "charity" paid him three times more in rent than it gave out for charitable reasons for the most recent year data is available. Just because he isn't drawing a salary doesn't mean he's not using the charity to enrich himself.

So guy's a piece of poo poo. Gotcha.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Names are a big deal.

Which is why he named his first book :fart:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mzuri posted:

Cut your nails, Patrick. gently caress.

I doubt he does either.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ccs posted:

Read some Christopher Buehlman. His new book The Blacktongue Thief has similarities to the good parts of Kingkiller alongside actual control over pacing and payoff.

Seconding this, also pick up between two fires as well as some more of Buehlman's work. He's very good, and unlike ol' Pat he actally writes.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ccs posted:

The first book was a great read back in my freshman year of college so in my mind there is a nostalgia-stained "good" version of The Name of the Wind. I still think there are nuggets of good ideas there, but many of them were employed much better by Christopher Buehlman in his recent book "The Blacktongue Thief".

It helps that Buehlman is a hell of a lot better as an author. His other works are also pretty damned good.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I should reread Between Two Fires, now that you mention it, absolutely fantastic book.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Notahippie posted:

Yeah, Blacktongue thief is more or less traditional fantasy, done well. Between Two Fires is Bosch in writing.

Honestly, all his books (except maybe some of the latter vampire books) are really, really good. The Necromancer's House is one of my favorite modern fantasy books.

Did he write more vampire books than The Lesser Dead? Anyway, that book is probably his weakest work I've read so far, but that's mainly because of the beginning. By the end of the book I had a strong favourable opinion of it, so it definitely is a book that asks for a little faith and patience to start off.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I read his bio and was startled to realise I already knew of him... as the insult comic from a Florida Rennaisaunce festival I went to back in college.

>The Patrick Rothfuss Thread: Even The Insult Comic Can Do A Better Job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Pat bad; we mad