Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

M_Gargantua posted:

Definitely would have been better. Sociopath Harry Potter is a good concept. DracoAmbrose bring an insufferable rear end? Burn him alive in his rooms in the inn he purchased out of spite. Arson you say? On what evidence! What a horrible tragedy.

This already exists. It's called Wizard People, Dear Reader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaVht51JhVk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard_People,_Dear_Reader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

"My parents breathed humor and forgotten songs. I was robbed of these things before I was extraordinarily interesting."

“"And he killed with an unnatural room filled with eighteen rocks and dread hundreds of sicknesses.” I said dryly. “I am not pleasant.”"

"I went to bed with the Earl of Stew and let his mouth aroma into the root of my virtue."

"He demonstrated to me what the difference is between amusement and judgment. They were the same."

These are all amazing.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

The artist for that Rick & Morty comic was at a local con. I asked him what it was like working with Patrick Rothfuss, hoping for some dirt. He said Rothfuss was great to work with and that he was a really busy guy and that obviously this was a major passion project for him since this his time was so precious.

I think he picked up on the fact I wasn't going to buy anything and wasn't really interested in his answer so the conversation died off from there.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

I read that whole thing and still don't know what adventure zone is. Is it like a Chucky Cheese?

It's a podcast where three brothers and their dad stumble through a lengthy D&D campaign. It's not perfect, but I was entertained (up until 'The Suffering Game' arc).

It became successful enough to have a graphic novel made, retelling the mostly-improvised story from the beginning. It was cute.

My friend gave me the book as a gift. I read the introduction aloud to him and told him both he and Rothfuss could go gently caress themselves.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

https://www.wired.com/2016/08/wired-book-club-patrick-rothfuss-interview/

Patrick Rothfuss posted:

Do these characters constantly occupy your thoughts and tell you things?

Ah, you're touching on the myth of the author. There are certain things our culture believes about authors that just simply aren't true, to the detriment of both authors and the readership. People will say, "Oh, I was writing this scene, and the characters just ran away with the story." When somebody says that, I think of parents who bring their kids to a restaurant, and they're little demons running around, they're knocking over the fern, they're screaming. And the parents just sit there: "Oh, I just, I can't do a thing with them. They're so out of control." Before I was a parent, I would look at them and be like, "No, you can loving control your children. You nail that down. You do your job as a parent." And now that I am a parent, I think the exact same thing.

This quote will always be the most offensive thing regarding Rothfuss.

If your characters are controllable, then why the gently caress would I waste my time on them?

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Pacho posted:

Characters do ran away with the story, tho. To be fair, this is mostly a theater/scriptwriting thing where there's more distance between the character and the author, but the whole "get in the shoes of your characters and dare to go where they want to go, not you" is a thing I was taught in a university class by a legit playwright

BananaNutkins posted:

Sometimes you realize, after developing a character over many chapters, that they would never make the choices that your outline requires. That's pretty normal unless you're a robot or Brandon Sanderson. It just means you have to stop and rework the outline to find a way for it to be consistent with the character growth you couldnt forsee. Good writers do a little bit of improv while writing to keep things fresh, so everything doesnt seem like its coming off a teleprompter. There's nothing weird or special about this concept.

This is more the attitude I came in with. If twee bad writers need to reel that poo poo in well then there you go. But I'd think good writing requires an element of discovery even for the author.

PJOmega posted:

Hope there is more to this story, cuz otherwise it serves only to make you look like an rear end.

He laughed and said 'gently caress you too'. :)

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Of course Rothfuss would be the type that'd turn up his nose at 4th Edition.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Reminder:

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Considering that this thread will be starved for content until the heat-death of the universe, someone should do a Let's Read of that comic.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

PJOmega posted:

Fair enough. I don't bounce around the forums much but if he was threads hitting that much his good is heavily outweighed. Thanks for the responses everyone!

Were there any other good BotL posts outside this thread? (Both a serious/snide question.)

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

In RP1, everyone fixates on a dead man's favourite passions in the hopes they'll get rich and escape poverty. Meanwhile culture has stagnated for decades; no one makes new art because everyone is so focused on 80s trivia, and not because they like it, not because they understand it, but because it is the only thing worth money.

It is so close to being a damning criticism of nostalgia. The movie should have been directed by Paul Verhoeven.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Yeah. Neil Gaiman is a hack.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Sorry man, that episode was just awful in an otherwise mediocre series - and came across just as self-congratulatory as Rothfuss and Whedon etc out to prove who the REAL feminist was.

The more Neil Gaiman I consume the more I'm convinced Coraline was thanks to everyone else on that film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

mewse posted:

I read these books and it's a metaphor for decolonization, much like the Baru books, and

Decolonization? drat near wrecked the toilet!