Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I haven't read these books and don't intend to, and I making a mistake y/n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The best three fantasy series written are The Lord of the Rings, Gormenghast, and The Book of the New Sun

and I haven't even come close to finishing Gormenghast, it's that good really

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah Im not gonna pay too much attention to a list that has Eragon above Gormenghast

Rothfuss sucks anyone mentioned that recently. When I was visiting my hometown a few months ago it warmed my heart to hear my friend's sisters, both big fantasy nerds, complaining about their dumbass male friends telling them they had to read The Name of the Wind and one of em said she tried and it was bad male wish fulfillment garbage. Thats actually what sealed the deal for me that I wasn't gonna read them books.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Cragon would be a better name for a book than Eragon

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

Is 50 Shades more popular than Twilight? It sold well and had a movie made but Twilight also sold incredibly well and had a super popular series of movies, while I actually forgot 50 Shades had a goddamn sequel

There's two sequels! Which I learned recently when I went to a local bookstore that had multiple copies of all 3 in a 3 foot high stack on the floor for some reason.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Is it cool to hate GRRM because everyone likes him, or have we reached the point where its cool to like him because everyone hates him.

I think he's a decent writer with some good to great works who very clearly has stopped giving a poo poo about what he's most popular for, which is mostly just funny

I think the only people who hate him are the ones who feel.....betrayed.....by that

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

SpacePig posted:

I thought this was a parody or something, but holy poo poo this is actually something he wrote about The Hobbit. What in the whole hell? What's worse is that there were probably tons of dudes who agreed with him.

Remember, this guy gets recommended as a """feminist fantasy author"""

Which is an indictment of the genre as much as the author, but still, Rothfuss bad

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

PJOmega posted:

On a tangentially related note is there a good write-up/analysis of Book of the New Sun? I mainlined them as audiobooks and they were wonderful but holy hell is my mind not wrapped around what I listened to. I know there are levels that I'm not even aware of.

Check out "Attending Daedalus" by Peter Wright and read through a 200+ page dissertation of somebody getting everything about BOTNS wrong

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ccs posted:

So they're apparently making movies out of this series right? So Rothfuss can just wait for Hollywood writers to make the third books as a TV show for him, then take the bits he likes and write that as the book and say it was his idea all along.

Yeah with Lin-Manuel Mirana leading the project

there's a quote from him about how the Kingkiller books are the most frequently re-read books in his household or something which tells you a lot about Lin-Manuel Mirana, and his house

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Sure. It's just a lot of being baffled by how other authors can say with a straight face that Rothfuss is something special and by how Wolfe doesn't seem to be well known outside of very specific circles.

Wolfe requires thinking and Rothfuss is, as was astutely pointed out here, Twilight for Boys

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Benson Cunningham posted:

Sam Raimi directed Legend of the Seeker, the TV show 'based' on the Sword of Truth series (fantasy bondage Randism)

There is no more fitting punishment a man like Rothfuss could receive.

Apparently the show cuts out the stupid Randian bullshit and is mostly a generic fantasy story that's vaguely based on the books

source: my sister who loves that show and is super lefty. maybe she's just making excuses.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Sanderson at least finishes his books, if anything he's too prolific. I have never read a Sanderson book so I can't comment on the writing but 'magic is a DnD rulebook that drives the plot' sounds like something I never want to read.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I read a bit of some Oathbringer sample chapters

...this is YA, right?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

HIJK posted:

It never gets better. What you're reading is peak Sanderson. He does not change or improve in any meaningful way.

Euurghhh. Well, makes sense that he's so popular, at least. Easily digestible and very "here is what is happening. here is how character is feeling."

I read plenty of iffy genre books with mediocre writing but something about this Sanderson fella feels so....lifeless. Sure he's not a predictive text generating AI?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Its perfectly normal to be good at one thing and have garbage opinions about another

see: Carson, Ben

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Following in the great tradition of Tolkien and his inability to complete The Silmarillion.

Let's just hope Rothfuss doesn't have a kid who publishes his stuff posthumously.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ccs posted:

Rothfuss' book topped another list of best fantasy novels (of the 21st century.) https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/04/the-50-best-fantasy-novels-of-the-21st-century.html?p=2

That's a funny way to spell The Wizard Knight 50 times

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Hot take - magic should be magical

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Hotter take - the specifics of magic only matter to the extent they undermine or reinforce the dramatic mechanics of the rest of the story

The only valid use of magic in fiction is to contribute to the worldbuilding

:pervert:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I never bought into the cliche that "any reading is good as long as its reading".

Books are not magical and inherently better than any form of media. A book only has as much value as a person's willingness to critically engage with it.

A person who reads 100 tom Clancy novels without ever engaging with the text critically is made no better by the reading.

Sure they are you can learn new words from the Tom Clancy book, and also new variants of tacticool realism

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

line manual miranda is gonna turn Kingkiller into a tv show and make Rothfuss millions so yeah its true that he will never write a book again. its a victory I will take.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Found this while looking for the TV Tropes take on the issue:

But here's their actual discussion:

that first paragraph, oof

why do you want magic to make seeeennnsseee

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

I don't know at what point in fantasy book history it became a thing to explain magic systems. I don't give a gently caress how it works, I just want it to be cool.

yeah I dunno? for all the influence LotR had its magic is explicitly not explainable beyond "the wizard is an angel and god does stuff sometimes" so it ain't that. maybe it's a side effect of D&D's popularity.

which points to Jack Vance as the culprit but The Dying Earth only has a system insofar as spells are too complicated to keep more than a few in your head at once. infact the very first story in TDE is about a mediocre magician trying to treat magic like science and having it fail miserably.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The joke with magic in Dying Earth is that the world is so hosed up that even magic has been broken and become inflexible rote memorization.

yeah I guess Turjan's "book of the last 100 spells mankind knows" makes that point right off the bat

and then contrasts it with the alien god wizard who explicitly is not on Earth

I like the part with the server banks

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

It's why Book of the New Sun is so loving good. It isn't even magic, it's just science- but to Severian, it might as well be magic, because he doesn't know how it works. Imagine how loving boring the books would have been if the Autarch had explained the teleportation portals in terms of quantum physics.

Instead, he just dumbs it down for Severian. "It's like a poo poo load of mirrors pointed at each other. It doesn't matter, dude, you step on here and blammo! You're halfway across the galaxy."

yeah and the real magic that there is in BotNS is basically divine intervention and incomprehensible, Severian tries to figure out the rules of the claw multiple times and fails cuz the source of its power is God and thats all you need to know

put it another way more fantasy authors should be Catholic (and less Mormon)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I know exactly one person who likes Rothfuss and that is my repressed Texan community college dropout cousin; everything else he reads is YA fantasy. Good lad, had potential, shame about his situation.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

your ex owned himself with that "thousands of books" thing given that LotR is the best selling fiction book of all time

and wrapping your personal identity up with Rothfuss, that too

what hath fandom wrought

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

lol no it doesn't

check out the Tolkien thread pretty soon it (a computer) will

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

GRRM had a long career with some legit good works before Game of Thrones so nooo waaayyy

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

overusing metaphors sure seems like the way to trick fantasy dorks into thinking something has "good writing"

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Tim Burns Effect posted:

and the quality reflects that

and yet still way better than Rothfuss

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Tim Burns Effect posted:

they are robot wolves with Dr Doom hoods, lightsabers and exploding Harry Potter snitches. All of these things are mentioned by name

and yet still way better than Rothfuss

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I wouldn't know I've never read anything by Stephen King

Dreamcatcher is a masterpiece of modern film though

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Imagine thinking Robespierre was a villain in the first place

any enemy of Hébert is no friend of mine

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

thesis: the quality of a work is inversely correlated with the amount of fanfiction it generates

variables: age of work, reach of work

conclusion: harry potter is balls

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

mewse posted:

Is that show similar to GoT?

it's a lot better

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

He's a fuckin creep how bout that

the one woman I know who likes Rothfuss is, sadly, an English teacher :shrug:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

nankeen posted:

i have a friend who's having health problems and i'm trying to be kind to him

yesterday while on mandated bed rest he read this great fantasy novel! have i ever heard of

what kind of drugs do they have him on

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Brandon Sanderson trying to write sounds like a total catastrophe

yeah

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

who could have predicted the guy who wears a "Joss Whedon is my master" shirt is a philandering creep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

yeah look at what dominates the Hugos and Nebulas now. this is a good thing.