Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Bravest of Lamp's avatar is the exact face he was making while creating this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

pospysyl posted:

The obnoxious chaptering encourages a "one more chapter" mentality.

Wait I'm on board with the other stuff but how is putting stuff into chapters obnoxious? Or is there a specific way Rothfuss uses chapters?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

One day that last guy is gonna come across a book written for young adults that does have a believably written world and his head is gonna explode.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I thought of an ending to the series last night. Kvothe finally gets off his rear end and tracks the Chandrian to a palace. He confronts them, the Amyr show up and a big fight happens. The king, who secretly funds the Amyr, is killed in the process. Kvothe manages to kill the weakest of the Chandrian. After the fight he wants to join the Amyr's badass group but they're like "lol no" and peace out.

Kvothe gets blamed for killing the king and gets all depressed since his quest is over and he wasn't accepted by the badass guys. So he opens an inn.

Denna does not appear in the book.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The "unreliable narrator" and the "it was all rumors" thing are real get out of jail free cards for the series. If Kvothe doesn't actually get around to doing some of the things, he can say it was somebody else but attributed to him by rumor. If things are really unsalvagable Rothfuss can pull the unreliable narrator card.

Also the longer between books, the more anticipation fuels continued interest. A finished series doesn't keep fans on tenderhooks and checking every new blog post the way an unfinished one does.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Haha drat, I always thought that expression had to do with meat on hooks for some reason. Actually has to do with drying cloth.

Tenterhooks.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Films AND a show?! Geezus.

Will people realize how silly certain things in the series are when they try to put it on film? Will the show end up being much much better than the films because they're written by professional Hollywood writers and not based directly on the novels?

So many questions.

Kingkiller could work as an anime though. In the fantasy/harem genre.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Did Tor publish the book? if so anything on their blog would have to be effusive. It's advertising.

If the blog author really did like the book that much, well, I guess it's good that people enjoy things.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So they're apparently making movies out of this series right? So Rothfuss can just wait for Hollywood writers to make the third books as a TV show for him, then take the bits he likes and write that as the book and say it was his idea all along.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Now now let's not get hasty comparing Kingkiller to Twilight.

Twilight actually finished.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Read The Emperors Soul, if you don't like it you're forever lost to the world and going to claim "Genre fiction is trash" to your deathbed. You'll exclusively read high brow literature and still be constantly disappointed, but at least smugly disappointed, at it.

Emperor's Soul is best Sanderson but not best of the genre.

I don't know who is best of the genre, maybe Gene Wolfe. Though Joe Abercrombie is probably my favorite.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This is some of the funniest NotW fanart: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qVQRa

If only he had hair like that in the adaptions. Sadly most of the covers depict long flowing locks and much less chin.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 6, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I want to see that page of notes.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Haha 50 loving pages. Geezus. I forgot it was that long.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Writing a popular stage play doesn't magically make Miranda any less of an idiot. Maybe Miranda is one of those people who was a massive primadonna growing up and would actually throw stupid music tantrums like Kvothe.

Or it's one lucky hack praising another. :shrug:

If Miranda was a one hit wonder I'd think so, but In the Heights was also pretty good, and his music for Moana was great. He's just also susceptible to the lure of Twilight for Boys.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ah, now he has an out for why the third book won't wrap things up the way a series that was supposedly complete sans editing a decade ago should do.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

In a plot ripped from the headlines, Kvothe becomes the youngest professor ever at the University, but his habit of foisting his "amazing fairy sex skills" on female students leads to his disgrace and destitution from hefty legal fees.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

At least people in that reddit thread are getting hung up on the fairy sex and Adem sections. Those were the parts that made me stop. However I definitely did enjoy Name of the Wind on a first read.

Either my English major failed me or I failed it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I see he has a co-writer. Good move on the publisher's part if they ever want to see that book in print.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Rothfuss' book topped another list of best fantasy novels (of the 21st century.) https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/04/the-50-best-fantasy-novels-of-the-21st-century.html?p=2

There are a lot of actually good entries on the list, like Perdido Street Station, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, and Pratchett's Nightwatch, but somehow BOTH of Rothfuss' books in an incomplete trilogy get higher rankings.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

PJOmega posted:

The rest are insulting but this is aggregious.

I wish we were getting a Night Watch series instead of a TV an film adaption of Kvothe Tuition Adventures.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 17, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It could be like Harry Potter where Kvothe is at the University and every year he gets a lead on a different Chandrian, goes out a-killin, learns some things, then goes back to start the next term. Slowly build up the tension with Ambrose, and have each film end with old Kote polishing glasses with just the hint of a gleam in his eye. Truck in on Kote's sword, cut to black.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If only Joe Abercrombie's work could get an adaption with this kind of funding behind it...

But his is less wish fulfillment, more "everybody suffering."

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Both the Union and Gurkhul (and Styria) are equally bad. Khalul just has a different means of controlling his people. The Emperor there was trying to negotiate peace with Glokta through his ambassador before Khalul had him killed.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The other side is using magic radioactivity that ends up killing one of the only actually honest characters in the whole series along with scores of others. Both sides are using whatever methods they can to get at the last vestiges of magic to use against each other, while developing technology to aid the killing in lieu of magic.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think Abercrombie became a better writer with his later books but I still like The First Law the most as a piece. I'm really interested in reading his new trilogy to see how his better writing gels with another 3 books to tell a complete story.

Also I was primed for the evil Muslim horde villains by the manga Berserk where one of the minor villain is this dude:

It's very similar to The First Law in that the main villain of Berserk is also a white dude who seems friendly at first.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BTW why do fantasy novels always fail to have fantasy settings. Its always poorly masqueraded mimicries of the real world. There is always a bunch of brown people with turbans in the east who live in a desert and always people from "the mysterious far east" whoo have curved swords and poo poo

Because they're telling stories about our world through the guise of fantasy. And because making up fake history is hard.

As a teenager reading these books you feel really clever figuring out the parallels between the fake nations and its historical equivalent.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The reason is that its fantasy.

Fantasy is not beholden to reason or to cause and effect. Why should fantasy be beholden to anything?

Magic by definition is irrational, why expect it to have clearly understood cause and effect?

Magic can be irrational or it can be a source of fictional power which is explained in-universe. Its fictional. You can have it be whatever you want.

Fantasy without cause and effect would not lead to a dramatically satisfying story, at least not for most people.

Sure you can write fantasy that doesn't need to be logical. It can be a lyrical journey through a nonsensical world and those kind of stories exist but I find them tiresome.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If its explainable and rational it's not magic, just a different law of physics

Okay then most fantasy magic ever is just physics.

HIJK posted:

Isn't this basically Finnegan's Wake?

Maybe, but most people don't enjoy or are even able to comprehend Finnegan's Wake.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I never bought into the cliche that "any reading is good as long as its reading".

Books are not magical and inherently better than any form of media. A book only has as much value as a person's willingness to critically engage with it.

TV consumption has been presented as a risk factor for Alzheimer’s while reading has been shown to decrease stress levels and ward off cognitive decline.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah it's probably correlative. Hard to point to any distinct causitive for Alzheimers when there's so many other variables that could interfere with the study.

But don't worry, according to this study you can ward off that cognitive decline by drinking heavily!
https://globalnews.ca/news/3648508/moderate-to-heavy-drinking-linked-to-lower-risk-of-dementia-study/

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm guessing he used the entire time to bitch about Trump and America's direction instead of discussing anything to do with his books.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Pounded in the rear end by my Magic School Loan Debt

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

drat, I'm not the scholar of Tingle I thought I was.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I looked up what the denizens of the internet think are the best lines from Kingkiller. I present them here for your analysis and/or evisceration:

“Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket.
But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”

“You see, women are like fires, like flames. Some women are like candles, bright and friendly. Some are like single sparks, or embers, like fireflies for chasing on summer nights. Some are like campfires, all light and heat for a night and willing to be left after. Some women are like hearthfires, not much to look at but underneath they are all warm red coal that burns a long, long while.”

“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts. There are seven words that will make a person love you. There are ten words that will break a strong man's will. But a word is nothing but a painting of a fire. A name is the fire itself.”

This one I actually like up until the last line, though it could do without "feet" appearing twice so close together:

“Go out in the early days of winter, after the first cold snap of the season. Find a pool of water with a sheet of ice across the top, still fresh and new and clear as glass. Near the shore the ice will hold you. Slide out farther. Farther. Eventually you'll find the place where the surface just barely bears your weight. There you will feel what I felt. The ice splinters under your feet. Look down and you can see the white cracks darting through the ice like mad, elaborate spiderwebs. It is perfectly silent, but you can feel the sudden sharp vibrations through the bottoms of your feet.
That is what happened when Denna smiled at me.”

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hey the Chandrian aren't even the spiders. They have another name I'm not going to bother looking up. That guy must be a fake fan.

Gotta wonder how Kvothe is gonna best 7 big bads within one book. In a sensibly paced series he'd have killed at least one of them by now.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

:thejoke:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I wonder if when the first book was published he actually gave the publisher drafts of all 3 and if this waiting is just while he tries to make it better because maybe the draft was weak. But that doesn't explain how the pacing can be so bad in the first 2. Or did he just tell the publisher that he had drafts of all 3 books before getting published when he only had very basic outlines or less?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I like that cover a bit more than the Eragon covers with their big goofy unappealing dragon faces.

What a confusing title though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

He has the unflinching self confidence that can only be achieved through home schooling.