Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Patrick Rothfuss is the celebrated author of the best-selling fantasy series The Kingkiller Chronicle. The success of his series has made him something of an icon. He’s had side-projects like writing for the game Torment: Tides of Numenera, and probably even greater things after he’s finished with Kingkiller.

Here’s a link to his official website.
And here's the previous thread about him and his works.

The Kingkiller Chronicle

quote:

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me.

Name of the Wind (2007)
Wise Man’s Fear (2011)
Doors of Stone (Still being written!)
Slow Regard of Silent Things (2014) - A novella

The series recounts the life and adventures of Kvothe, legendary sorcerer, musician, assassin, lover, and adventurer, who is currently living in obscurity as a humble village innkeeper. The story is all about his quest to solve the mystery that as a child cost him his family. The series is currently unfinished, but includes two great books, a novella, and a few short stories.

There’s now an anniversary edition of The Name of the Wind, and it looks sweet! It also has some awesome-sounding ancillary material in it, like details of the world’s calendar and currency systems.

There’s a television adaptation of the series at works, to be produced by Lin Manuel Miranda, and it will no doubt be quite a show whenever it comes out. It’ll be as cool and satisfying as Game of Thrones :)

Why should I read this guy’s books?

Rothfuss has unique opinions on art, stories, women, life, and magic. His prose is one of a kind. He’s a master of eroticism. Kvothe is a very multifaceted character – at times you have no idea what he’s supposed to be. The final novel of the trilogy will be a real spectacle.

I’ve heard bad things about this author and these books.

Some might call his writing flawed, but others will vouch for him. Just read these recommendations:

quote:

[THE WISE MAN’S FEAR] was worth the wait. I gulped it down in a day, staying up almost to dawn reading, and I am already itching for the next one. He's bloody good, this Rothfuss guy.

- George R. R. Martin, author of Tuf Voyaging

quote:

No one writes about economic reality within this genre like Pat Rothfuss. The real-world weight of the sometimes impossible distance between the things you want and need and what you have in your pocket.

No one writes about music like Pat Rothfuss. The way it sneaks into your soul, the way it feeds you like nothing else.

No one writes about stories like Pat Rothfuss. How the right story at the right time can change the world, how the teller can shape a life.

No one writes like Pat Rothfuss. Full stop. Read this book.

- Lin-Manuel Miranda, creator of Hamilton

But if you’ve never read Rothfuss, I doubt you can understand what his writing is like. Go ahead and get to it!

Is the third book ever coming out?

While Rothfuss promised that the whole trilogy was finished before publication, but that proved to be an optimistic estimate. He’s still working on it. There’s no date set, but we’ll have our hands on it soon enough!

What are the seven words that will make a woman love you?

“Have you read Patrick Rothfuss, my lady?”

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You're missing out!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I would go as the Felurian.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Or possibly as Josn.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe you should have had faith in the healing power of literature lol

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think Kvothe would call Homestuck 'a beautiful thing'.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Please, let's distract ourselves with something funny instead

---

I kept hearing about a new fantasy novel by first-time writer Patrick Rothfuss, called The Name of the Wind. I'm leery of starting new trilogies whose later books have not been written -- how long have we been waiting for George R.R. Martin to finish his? And who can even think of Robert Jordan's endless Wheel of Time?

But finally the pressure grew too great. I opened The Name of the Wind and started to read.

Folks, this is the real thing. Though it's considerably darker than the Harry Potter series, this is also a bildungsroman -- the story of the childhood, education, and training of a boy who grew up to be a legendary hero.

The structure is odd -- the story is narrated by the hero himself, who has apparently fallen on hard times and is now in disguise as an innkeeper in a country village. He still does heroic things (unbeknownst to others) but mostly he simply tends bar as his magical skills wane.

He is always accompanied by a disciple who happens to be a dangerous creature in his own right, and he tells the story to a scribe who is known for recording true stories. The frame story is so interesting that you don't mind when the narrative switches back and forth between the tale of Kvothe's growing-up years and the current events in the inn.

This book was so exciting that I couldn't resist skipping ahead to the end to make sure that the writer didn't end it stupidly. Yet the process of reading it was so pleasurable that even knowing how the book ended, I still went back and read every single word, so as not to miss a thing.

Not a word of the nearly-700-page book is wasted. Rothfuss does not pad. He's the great new fantasy writer we've been waiting for, and this is an astonishing book. I don't recommend it for pre-teens, mostly because it moves at an adult-fiction pace and has some truly disturbing events. But he does not describe gore (though the action is intense) and while there is some sexual tension, nothing is shown that would shock a teenager.

If you're a reader of fantasy or simply someone who appreciates a truly epic-scale work of fiction, don't go through this summer without having read it. At the very least it will keep you busy till the last Harry Potter comes out. But I warn you -- after The Name of the Wind, the Harry Potter novel might seem a little thin and -- dare I say it? -- childish. You have been warned.

- Orson Scott Card

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Malpais Legate posted:

Man that OP almost made me forget what this thread was about and who typed it.

How many times did you vomit while writing that, BotL?

I grinned, and then grinned more when jivjov shamefully closed his stump imitation of my OP.

jivjov is also welcome to explain why Kingkiller is well-written and how Rothfuss portrays women.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 9, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I've been reading Demon Princes by Jack Vance. It's a kooky, multipart revenge story about a very cosmopolitan interstellar assassin trying to track down five highly dangerous and legendary master criminals. The twist is that instead of legions of minions or fortresses, each of the criminals is protected by their jealously-guarded anonymity. So instead of the hero fighting his way to them, each novel is about him trying to identify one of them so that he can exact revenge. This involves careful investigation, deduction, outwitting and outmaneuvering dangerous people, and a lot of bravado.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 10, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I found a picture of a rothfuss fan:

jivjov posted:

Thank my lovely wife for taking the photo for me
'

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Don't waste your time on a rothfuck.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm testing the predictive keyboard app from Botnik studios.

The university was more luminous than the sky farthest from ignorance. Once I looked pointedly at the heart of books, I left wondering, goddamn boyish.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Interlude — About All Things

The Waystone Inn lay in stories, and I’m in stories. Magic of iron things was still blowing about the room.

Kote shrugged and looked speculatively at chronicler. ”I heard about two disparate tricks for channeling power ” he began rather testily as if warming the first fire of his voice for demons inside ice. ”With some satisfaction I saw the first: black stone beneath metal. Then the next night I drew the other: ash and all these accolades that I figured my father would have called nice stories.” he gave a faint smile. Chronicler dropped several layers of iron and nodded solemnly.

“And he would pluck something resembling a dozen swords spinning through my mother’s softly gentle drafts. I learned to keep fresh meat in her. My parents breathed humor and forgotten songs. I was robbed of these things before I was extraordinarily interesting. The Chandrian were a dozen performers that showed me that the stories paint scenery with blood" Kote sighed smugly and looked expectantly at Chronicler. “With the knowledge that followed quickly after, I realized numbly the wind continued without pausing. Only sign of my early noble steps."

Chapter Ten-thousand: History and When Nothing Happened

I tried with marginal conviction to think something resembling dramatic discussions as the wagon hit a long man with eyes that watched me with dark severity for a couple hours. He spoke crisply as if to a hundred stars glittering like golden coins. ”I heard that Kvothe Kingkiller was a malicious thing curiously bigger than anyone could know.”

I gave a slow nod. “And he killed with an unnatural room filled with eighteen rocks and dread hundreds of sicknesses.” I said dryly. “I am not pleasant.”

The man nodded thoughtfully. “The rocks were no good to these people. I learned the same way that you might have guessed. They belonged me. I have developed heroes and kings. I have bothered the Order of Engineering. I demonstrated animals to the mayor. I was never caught tickling the farmer of storm lumps. I went to bed with the Earl of Stew and let his mouth aroma into the root of my virtue. I don’t love books worth the price, devices of author’s addled brain, or the road that ran through ages.” He looked through my face.

“I am you."

Chapter Sixty Pounds: Black Leather

I finally pulled his shirt off as the puppets re-emerged from their cases. As Kvothe the Old gingerly finished with his fingers, I realized why his face changed with the dark. ”Earl of Stew! It was magic that pigs had!” I said calmly. The man I thought briefly to be the old Shadicar from the distant time to be cleaned up the tables with exaggerated care. Then he tugged off and began polishing the little cudgel I had introduced into the nameless void of the night. He leaned forward imperiously.

“I could feel my story told thoughtfully and wings of grease rattled through the trees. They chose the innkeeper" he said ominously.

I tried to burn quick. “I am not what you think— ”

He spoke quickly. “Lips spinning stories before putting them together " he said. "There are signs that showed themselves with your channeling of the wind. Three days ago I was coming close to completing a mythical geometric beard for the character of Ben. My curiosity throbbed like wasps in my Wydeconte. ”

“Ben’s bells! You're that arcanist stain from his prettier socks” I said evasively without inflection that would kill mountains themselves. He demonstrated to me what the difference is between amusement and judgment. They were the same.

“Fires dim in drunks.” The old burlap poet chuckled. “Lore with living memory is the troupers’ hero. I’m Soren and the duke baby as well. ”

“And the constable outside town? No wonder...” I said to the reasonable fellow. Then his head slowly pulled away from the room and he took out a handful of kings.

“I suppose you could have the whole purse. A true beginning” he said with some satisfaction. I held the first in my hand and nodded. I perfectly cut off a piece with my string of iron.

“The wind will break through the Arcanum and all folk will thank me that the Chandrian are particularly unhealthy and nauseous with a thousand smells from the room of glittering sharp stone” I said with grim efficiency. But the real magic was friendship from me.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 29, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Who is Matt Damon in this scenario? The Earl of Stew?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm digging the predictive text writings. I tried playing with it, but wasn't getting anything good. I don't think I know how to use it or something.

The secret is that you have to work at constructing the funniest sentence and shuffle through various suggestions. You have to spend as much effort as you would on writing something original, except you have a limited and semi-random vocabulary.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 31, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I am the Felurian.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

M_Gargantua posted:

Its a perfectly enjoyable trash fiction read as long as you don't think to hard about the subtle/blatant misogyny

You clearly don't read enough trash fiction enough to recognize the enjoyable stuff.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

M_Gargantua posted:

Enjoyment is subjective BoL, you can’t universally enforce your standards of acceptable enjoyment.

That's where you're wrong.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There's not that great a difference between reading Mieville and reading Rothfuss.

Perhaps they should consider reading some literature.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqkmI3ZdJ8c

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
:getin:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

M_Gargantua posted:

It’s hyperbole because of how often popular books get thrashed in here. Bonfire of the genres and all that. For a book to be great it must be enjoyable to the bulk of the people who would be interested in the subject matter. Yet there is still noticeable elitism about genre fiction and certain popular authors. Mostly it’s unfounded snobbery. The rest of the time it’s right (eg Rothfuss)

This is moronic. A book does not need to popular (that is what you mean) to be great, or even good.

Accusations of snobbery over genre fiction are false populism. There is no actual inequality at play, it's simply dishonest defence from well-off people.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I am an influencer.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

M_Gargantua posted:

You’re being disingenuous to my premise. Just because a book is popular doesn’t mean it’s great. But equally just because a a few people gush oversome obscure book doesn’t make that book great either. You can have the opinion that a book is fantastic, and that you wish it were popular. But unless that book actually appeals to a majority of readers who would normally appreciate the generalized content of the book then it cannot be great. To say that your opinion is better than that of peers regarding the same type of content is textbook elitism.

What the gently caress are you on about

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The point seems to be that what makes a book great is that they've heard about it and think it's deserving, hence they complain about "obscure" books.

It's an appeal to M_Gargantua's personal ignorance.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

M_Gargantua posted:

No, I’m restricting it to books that are successful within their target audience.

That's idiotic. You're saying that artistic greatness is defined by marketing category.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Things that make a book great: succeeding with its audience, having a positive impact

Things that have nothing to do with greatness: the writing

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ccs posted:

If only Joe Abercrombie's work could get an adaption with this kind of funding behind it...

Hopefully they'd also faithful to the bizarre Islamophobia

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm yes, it's not bizarre and terrible to show Islam being led by cannibal monsters because both sides are bad.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Torrannor posted:

One thing I love about Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive is that you can get halfway through the first book, until they describe the look of the Shin people. Who have unusually light skin color and unnaturally round eyes... and you realize that every main character except Szeth (he's Shin) is Asian :woop:

Why not simply read East Asian literature instead of genre garbage?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That one about a guy reincarnating in an RPG world, you know the one.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm happy with Rothfuss, I'm happy with my life

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The problem is that, as presented, the characters wrangling out a scientific method of magic is not funny at all.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Atlas Hugged posted:

So in short, people tend not to read those books just because it turns reading into quite a lot of work.

Oh my loving god :lol:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
People repeating the same nonsense about "bad faith" to me will never stop being funny

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Kvothe is dead. Kvothe remains dead.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Very edgy.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012