Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I made someone I know have a minor tantrum about how "mean" I am and how I'm "negative about everything" simply by saying I don't like these books and think they're bad, and that the author is not talented.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

So what was it that caused the books to be liked by so many people after the first read like myself and, I’m assuming, a bunch of other people in this thread?

I dunno about some of you but part of why it was so popular is because it's yet another Baby's First Darque Fantasie Novele. To people who are new to the genre and have only read a couple of the Modern Bestsellers and one or two of the handful of older books that sit on Barnes and Nobel shelves, it seems innovative and this guy is totally a thoughtful badass who doesn't even WANT to be a legend, unlike any other fantasy protagonists, who are all lame do-gooders who pet unicorns.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I for sure won't.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

It really is the worst goddamn name

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Brinner posted:

Any news on book 3?

Day after the last star burns out

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

PJOmega posted:

Ffs.

Isn't this the same person who made Hamilton's music?

Immortal Technique never should have apologized for putting this dork in the trash.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A human heart posted:

I don't think the guy who made a stupid rap musical for dumbass rich people is brilliant at music.

Reminder that Miranda rewrote the lyrics to Insane in the Brain to be about Tim Kaine and was convinced this would get people to vote for Clinton.

Just because the Rock and the crab songs in Moana were good doesn't give him a pass. He is extreme trash.

Dienes posted:

Rothfuss has reviewed hundreds of books on Goodreads, and those that he's bothered to give a star rating are nearly always 5-stars. It really reeks of someone trying to suck up to other authors.

One of his 5-star reviews is for The Giving Tree. He has a couple sentences on how the boy is a selfish little poo poo but, hey, the tree is happy, life lessons are complex, the book is ambiguous for how we are supposed to take it.

It would be hard to suck up to noted dead person Shel Silverstein but I bet Rothfuss would try.

Aside from his creeper double standards, his understanding of literature is extremely mechanical and relies entirely on the surface aspects and rote plot events of everything. Not surprising.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

If the Kingkiller Duo is on top of Fantasy Books list, what are some good reads on that same list? Looking to read something new.

The "Best of Fantasy" lists that Kingkiller is on are basically nerd blogs writing down Lord of the Rings plus some bestseller crap from the last ten or fifteen years or so. Most people who read fantasy have goldfish memory in addition to clam chowder for brains.

Gollancz's Fantasy Masterworks series provides a pretty solid list. You can quibble with some of the entries (I'd remove Martin's Fevre Dream, for example) but they're all mostly good and won't waste your time. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_Masterworks

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

I just noticed that Buzzfeed list has the Riftwar Cycle as a single entry, while it has two different Robin Hobbs trilogies as their own entries. :psyduck:

Sure, some of the Riftwar books are petty bad (looking at you, Shards of a Broken Crown) but the original Riftwar trilogy is still a solid, if dated, series. Kelewan is also more fleshed out and detailed of a world than the one in Kingkiller and Kelewan isn't even the main setting of the books (except for the Daughter of the Empire trilogy but Feist didn't write those).

Feist is a pretty bad author, the Riftwar books are straight up transcription of tabletop RPG sessions fiction (Feist was part of an early third party D&D publisher) and the only reason Kelewan is interesting is because its a wholesale ripoff of Tekumel. Feist admitted it, but he still claims he was unaware when he wrote Magician. I don't buy it.

Betrayal at Krondor is a good video game though

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 3, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

I was referring to Twilight fanfic (50 Shades of Grey) being bigger than what it was based on and that KKC doesn't have some lovely fanfic-turned-blockbuster yet. Not that KKC is lovely fanfic (it's just lovely).

Is 50 Shades more popular than Twilight? It sold well and had a movie made but Twilight also sold incredibly well and had a super popular series of movies, while I actually forgot 50 Shades had a goddamn sequel

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

my bony fealty posted:

There's two sequels! Which I learned recently when I went to a local bookstore that had multiple copies of all 3 in a 3 foot high stack on the floor for some reason.

I meant the movie sequel. It came out in February and I totally forgot, but I'm intimately familiar with the fact that Twilight has a bunch of film sequels, sad to say.

my bony fealty posted:

I think he's a decent writer with some good to great works who very clearly has stopped giving a poo poo about what he's most popular for, which is mostly just funny

I think the only people who hate him are the ones who feel.....betrayed.....by that

I don't really like his books but I'm more annoyed by his fans who seem to believe he invented the idea of gritty political fantasy about war and that the genre was entirely unicorns frolicking in rainbow dappled meadows before he transformed it singlehandedly. His books that aren't about making GBS threads in the wastelands are better but still not that great. The Armageddon Rag is kind of a self-indulgent boomer fantasy too.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

HopperUK posted:

This kind of wildly fulsome praise for these books makes me feel as if I might be going crazy. It's one thing when people just flat out don't care about the quality of prose, whatever, I'm not a snob. If you get something out of the Da Vinci Code then more power to you. But these are people praising the beauty and effectiveness of what seems to me to be obviously mediocre prose and I am baffled.

Most of these people are just not very well read, not only in classics and literary fiction but in genre too. They are simply calling Rothfuss using awkward metaphors "poetic"

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I really want to sit down with one of the bafflingly large number of people comparing Rothfuss to Tolkien and have them have them give me a detailed breakdown on exactly what about it is Tolkienesque beyond just being fantasy.

"Tolkienesque" to these types simply means "a sword is in this book and there is traveling"

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Paladin posted:

If I knew more about his personality, I would assume that he purposefully made up an opinion designed specifically to annoy LOTR fans as a joke. He might have been entirely serious here though, I don't know.

He was a weird grouch so I assume both are true.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

Anyone interested in an opportunity to combine Penny Arcade fans, all things Patrick Rothfuss, and two hours of live action roleplaying?

https://tabletop.events/conventions/td-at-pax-south-2018

The fact that it takes place "inside the Fae" and involves meeting a "popular character from Pat's world" leads me to believe this is a sex dungeon.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

Hopefully the character will be played by Rothfuss himself!

You wanna gently caress Rothfuss? :yikes:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

My power fantasy involves Karen Lord physically beating up Fatrick Rothfuck

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Doesn't Goodkind claim his books aren't fantasy because they're about the eternal truth of Randroidism?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Benson Cunningham posted:

It's pretty sad that Sanderson and Rothfuss are the two best known names in modern fantasy.

Guy who writes endless stream of bad D&D adventures as novels and guy who wrote garbage but now doesn't write at all are perfect examples of the modern fantasy scene though.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Nakar posted:

I always wonder how that works, as there are more than a few such books in the genre. Is it one of the participants just straight up ripping off their friends by repackaging the story they created together and taking all the credit for it as "author?" This seems like something that could make for a really interesting lawsuit.

Yeah and there are situations like how the Riftwar guy ripped off an RPG called Empire of the Petal Throne for the bad guys that invaded his stock medieval setting but he claims he didn't realize it because it was based on a game he was a player in. This is despite working in the RPG industry before he became an author and purposely changing the names of things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I don't know if/when I'll start Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear or Book 3.

Never is always a good time for this.