Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

pentyne posted:

Cheese is likely the most innocuous thing is his pack. Asking con girls to follow him up to his room for ice cream does not sound like someone who's just looking for pleasant chat.

Is this just rumors at this point? I can certainly believe it, I've just heard this before but only as gossip really, which I'm aware how of lot of lovely people get away with it for a while so not saying there's nothing there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

pseudanonymous posted:

A rumor's not a rumor that doesn't die.

https://lizbourke.com/2014/01/17/calling-people-on-thoughtless-sexist-sht-justin-landon-on-patrick-rothfuss/
https://mereader.wordpress.com/2012/04/04/sexism-in-the-wise-mans-fear-part-1/
https://jezebel.com/bestselling-fantasy-author-writes-icky-sexist-blog-post-5942221

I don't think anyone has actually accused him of anything yet. It just seems like there are the themes of misogyny in his books, his postings, his comments, his behavior at cons, and the fact he's apparently well connected in the writing community so people there are afraid to criticize him. It's entirely possible he's the equivalent of a virtuous pedophile.
I appreciate the links, definitely wasn't trying to say it was a only a rumor or had no validity.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

It also comes across pretty strongly that he doesn't view that woman as a person. Chris, what an rear end in a top hat.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

pentyne posted:

He can only process other writing that flows like neurons over a smooth brain.

:five:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Hughmoris posted:

Write the book, Patrick.

I'm not convinced the world would be better if he did.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Karia posted:

In a similar YA vein, I remember Year of the Griffin by Diana Wynne Jones being great. It's the second book in the series, but can be read on its own (though the first book was good too, just didn't touch on magic school.) The general premise is that the magical universe has been invaded by a capitalist rear end in a top hat from our world, who forced all the magicians to put on big tourist shows where they go on a pilgrimage, defeat a demon lord, etc. At the end of the first book they overthrow him and end the tours, but the world's been totally wrecked by the years of rampant capitalism and tourism. Year of the Griffin is about a bunch of students going to the magical school and finding out that it's totally dysfunctional: the school is broke, the curriculum is still geared towards teaching students how to run the tours, and the teachers have little interest in helping the students explore and follow their passions. There's a pretty strong anti-capitalist vein to it.

It's not particularly deep: it is a YA novel and spends a lot more time focusing on the adolescent main characters. But it's a fun time regardless.

Holy poo poo I've been trying got remember the first book in that series for ages, and you've solved it for me. Dark Lord of Derkholm is what I was looking for but couldn't find based on my searches with half remembered plot points.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Lottery of Babylon posted:

A plan that would have actually made some sense would have been for Kvothe to do well on his exams, but to arrange for the bursar to charge Uncle Mayor as if Kvothe had failed his exams, with Kvothe and the bursar splitting the extra. The university won't notice any discrepancies because it's still receiving as much money as it expects to based on Kvothe's tuition, and Uncle Mayor isn't likely to notice because he lives a very long journey away and the student is in on the scheme and won't tip him off. It would be a bit risky if anyone ever compared Uncle Mayor's books with the University's internal books, but it would theoretically be doable, and would be something the bursar couldn't do without a student's cooperation.

But that wouldn't involve Kvothe doing well by doing poorly, which is clever and subversive and shows how smart the hero and the author and the readers are and also lets him totally dunk on Professor Snape by getting his exam questions wrong, so Rothfuss went with the nonsensical plan instead.

. . . wow I guess I'd swapped it in my head because I legit remembered this was the plan and not the bad one that's actually in the books. As I read the actual description I said to myself, wait, that's not right, it wasn't that dumb. I haven't read it in a long time, but even now I guess I'm giving Rothfuss more credit than he's due.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Hughmoris posted:

I thought 2022 would be the year. We have one more month... write the book, Fatrick!

At this point why would want that?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Atlas Hugged posted:

Already a better book.

With an attitude like that you're definitely of the advance reader list!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

One thing I never know how to react is when folks start recommending it to me. I'm at a job where someone on a slack channel recommends the series, and I don't want to like immediately tell them it's so trash, but I also don't want it to go unremarked.