Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Malazan is trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Ok, what makes Malazan great?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Benson Cunningham posted:

Malazan is grim dark anime fanfiction. There are some prerequisites to liking it:

1. You probably need to know what a Space Marine is or have played Warhammer 1+ times.
2. At one point in your life, you were enthralled by Dragon Ball Z.
3. You haven't read any long grimdark books in the last 3-4 years.

If you fulfill those criteria, Malazan is a blast. If any of them are not true, you probably don't like Malazan.

Ok, this explains a lot. I mean, I will cop to being a 40k fan (there are a lot of Necrons currently encamped in my house) but 40k works much better as an over the top satire then a real grimdark setting in my opinion. It's fun, but I wouldn't rate the 40k universe as a place that makes a lot of sense or has any deeper meaning.

I legitimately find Sanderson better because if I'm going for brokebrain entertainment (my usual purpose in reading fantasy novels) I can actually follow his stuff without slogging through a zillion fake made up names, unmemorable characters, or desperate attempts at being edgy that come off as dumb (Children of the Dead Seed, anyone?). Sanderson is popcorn, Malazan feels like that crazy uncle earnestly explaining QAnon and the Deep State.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

You'd really think a company of Polish Winged Hussars would fit right in, but noooooo...

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Tolkien did it/world-building.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

A human heart posted:

its actually declined because the increasing marginalisation of actual literature and the publishing industry becoming more and more uniform has meant that genre writers now only read older genre works, whereas back in the day some of those guys would have read books that didn't come free in a cereal box at some point even if they wrote pulp.

It's just another form of internet bubble.

This is why truly dreck fantasy authors get to be featured at the front of the fantasy section.

You would think it would be possible to take all these mythological themes and make real literature, but apparently not.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Only in the fantasy section of the bookstore can you get by with "setup books".

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I would ask if that's actually Rothfuss, but...yep.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Tall, clean-shaven, and wearing his dark master's robes, he reminded me of the enigmatic Silent Doctor character present in many Modegan plays. I fought off a shiver, trying not to dwell on the fact that the appearance of the Doctor always signaled a catastrophe in the next act.

Ugh, is that supposed to be a Doctor Who reference? Eragon pulled that poo poo as well as I recall.

pentyne posted:

Fun question: Has anyone gone over what Rothfuss wrote for Tides of Numenora? That was a big deal to him and he was a big part of the KS campaign. I kind of wonder if Rothfuss is one of those creative minds who excel best under a good director/editor reigning in his worst excesses like Kurt Sutter.

Didn't that game flop really hard? I remember restarting it 3 times and just bouncing off how bad the gameplay was and how the writing seemed to be weird for weirdness sake. It's like they wanted to do Jack Vance style pulp but didn't get what made it fun (having witty characters react to the bizarre absurdities), took the absurd part, and just made everything stupid.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Of note is that Fela obviously doesn't save herself, kvothe just talks poo poo about how she totally could have.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

One of the big problems is that people want to write about power fantasy mages, but you need to keep up the pretense that this isn't a masturbatory power fantasy. Very few authors are going to actually make their wizards fantastical and it's much more difficult to write about the Raven King rather than "me but if I could set jocks on fire and impress women".

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Tim Burns Effect posted:

they are robot wolves with Dr Doom hoods, lightsabers and exploding Harry Potter snitches. All of these things are mentioned by name

But how is the prose?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I've posted this before, but loving up "Teinkle Twinkle Little Star" isn't a joke, it just makes you incompetent.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I have no idea how you make it look difficult without it sounding bad, and I'm a string player too.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

:yiikes:

I don't even know, but I'm surprised he approached a woman after writing Kvothe.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Someone besides me read the priory of the orange tree.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I wrote a bonfire post. I think it's interesting and worth discussing at least.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

You'd think it'd be easy for all these well-off authors to just gently caress in real life.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Sham bam bamina! posted:

That's his wife "girlfriend" (they've lived together for a decade and have two kids). I believe that she's still with him because her judgement is impaired in some way, possibly by olfactory means.

It gets better, there's a half page long rant in the first book about having kids while unmarried is actually the real way to handle True Love because Kvothe's parents did it, and is no way refusing to commit to the woman who bore your children.

I was not impressed.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

I thought Malazan was a random GURPS campaign?

Eventually, Dwarf Fortress is going end up creating better Fantasy novels than most authors. Hell it probably already does with the current worldgen and legend, you'd just have to edit and elaborate.

Started as AD&D!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Yea it's a cult.

I kinda want to check back and see if his FB page is riven between the people asking for the third book and the die-hard cultists.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm confused, what defense are these people making other than "well I like it?"

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

...are you sure that second isn't sarcasm?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I made thousand hands on my bar of Ramson steel. "A woman is like a symphony", I thought, knowing nothing about either. "When she says a minor chord, that means she's sad."

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Benson Cunningham posted:

Writing Excuses gives you the most real time updates available for how woke Brendon Sanderson is on hot, cultural issues.

This really does feel like a strong qualification to sell to white suburban nerds right now.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Solice Kirsk posted:

I liked it when he hosed the big titted bartender and said she was just as good as the sex goddess because all women are good at sex in different ways. Then he has sex with a few different sex ninjas, but the smallest deadliest one was his favorite. Then he doesn't have sex with his crush the prostitute.

It's a very complex and enlightened story.

Look he's trying to describe something nerds would find fantastical, namely sexual interactions with women.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Like Rothfuss could actually finish this shitpile in a satisfying fashion.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The Bechdel test is extremely important for Rothfuss . It sets him up as a fake feminist so he can touch boobs, and it is one if the few critiques nerds will recognize.

Incidentally, I'm doing a let's play of the Torment game mentioned in the LP, and it's just peak Rothfuss. Pretentious, bad prose, nothing to say, and Auri reappears as a little girl who made a rock god.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

my bony fealty posted:

a really neat setting, if you like dying earth. some of the characters are pretty cool. I didnt get more than a few hours in tho

So the setting actually conflicts with the story they want to tell, hard. MAJOR spoilers for the game and my LP "thesis": The game is ultimately your standard tale of an arrogant man trying to defy God and raise his daughter and how he's punished for his hubris. Unfortunately, this is undermined by the Numenera setting having all these dumb unimportant mysteries be explained by ancient science that no one understood at the time. The Sorrow that starts the game hunting you is ultimately just a robot built by some guys to prevent randos from using their Tides nanomachines, which the Changing God - your father - did to try to bring back his dead daughter. It would work wonderfully as a Kurt Vonnegut satire, but its a terrible myth.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I love how Cline manages to objectify women by trying not to objectify them. Good job!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

In Tides of Numenera, which Rothfuss at least partially wrote, the main quest has you go back in time to unrape a woman. Later a mentor character asks if you considered the rapist's feelings.

This is glossing over the quest where if you help an incel stalk a woman the game, the game awards you actual compassion points.

Lastly, to end the quest for the companion Rothfuss is confirmed to have written, you and an adult companion need to submit to date rape by a creeper.

Rothfuss has a terrible track record of this poo poo is what I'm trying to say.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Kchama posted:

wait what wait what

I cover it in more detail in my LP Thread. It's weird scifi psychic bullshit for everything except the creeper (who believes he has a right to the woman because he raised her from the dead) but its described in terms as "violation" and "forced me".

Tides of Numenera is a bad game.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Rothfuss just wants to be King Nerd and poo poo on the many women who have standards while pacifying the morons on Twitter.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I have promised Dirt Road Junglist I will do a let's read for the forums.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Sanderson is dull but he's not viscerally offensive.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

"They are beautiful Cheerios", said the pizza boy, with a smile that parted his face like sun rising over grey clouds.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm pretty sure it's a similie Rothfuss uses too tbh.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Even as a dumb teenager reading these books I got frustrated by how little the Chandrian appeared.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I suspect the Roman engineers would have words.

They would not be kind words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Well, that decisively kills the idea that Doors of Blah will be out in August or September, saving me a hate-read.

Is Brandon Sanderson finishing this trilogy too?