Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

HIJK posted:

He was really eager for me to move on to Wise Man's Fear and knowing what I do now I'm scared as to why

Maybe he was just really really into Tak. Speaking of, the theme of one of my buddy's Halloween parties this year is The King Killer Chronicles. It's all the way out in the burbs, but if I go I promise I will take pictures and post them. Depends on if this girl I'm seeing wants me to go to her thing or not (probably).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'll slog my way through it just to finish the series. There's a not zero chance I'll flip to the last chapter and read that in the bookstore before deciding if reading the entire thing is worthwhile.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the Bast story is the best thing he's done. I think maybe Rothfuss would be an amazing Stephen King-esque writer, where he just pumps out tons of cool self contained short stories.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They didn't kill him because the story couldn't have that. It would have made more sense if he just spotted them from the woods and overheard everything.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

They're headquartered literally right down the road from not-Hogwarts as well aren't they?

Not only that, but have they come up at all in the plot since then? Were they part of the super interesting trial and shipwreck pirate adventure that was skipped over?

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 21, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So I decided I'm going to the King Killer party on Saturday. It's the second party I'm going to that night so I'll be rocking a light up suit since the other party's theme is "Prom" (ugh, got lovely themed parties this year). Gonna just say I'm a Chandrian because no one can say I'm wrong since they're never really discussed in detail. I'll post pics of my dorky idiot friends.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SpacePig posted:

Sorry to hear about this. Hope everything is okay.

It's an incredibly bad idea for a theme, but knowing my friends I doubt anyone besides the host is going to follow the rules. Especially since maybe like 4 of us have read it and it's just him that's obsessed with it. We'll be playing Tak though. We always do towards the end of the night.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I actually made a sort of effort post in the last thread. Well, effort for my lovely posting anyways.

And apparent;y I can't quote closed threads...here, just have the pictures:

"Takky"

edit:
It's kinda fun if you're drinking and not taking it seriously. It's basically connect four with a few more rules.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 25, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There is no such thing as a single book fantasy story anymore. Everything is always a series. Always. Take that self contained story poo poo and throw it onto your pile of garbage literature.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Still waiting for Kvothe to kill an angel.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eh, I kinda like tenderhooks better. Sounds more tense and uncomfortable anyways.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ornamented Death posted:

It seems like it'll be Ambrose, what with the little sections detailing how he's moving up the line of succession.

That could also be a misdirect, but I don't think Pat is that talented.

It's gonna be Simm or a king we haven't even met yet. Mark my words.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's not even good rap. It consistently fails in rhyme or rhythm.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Can you imagine that woman finding out that dude that kept putting those creepy poorly written love letters into her locker is now a famous feminist writer?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Remember when he responded to himself asking himself how many times he's read his own book?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

Cragon would be a better name for a book than Eragon

Cragon sounds like a hearty root vegetable stew.

"The barmaid ladled piping hot cragon into his bowl as he pulled off his wet riding clothes. Looking down he could see it overflowing with carrots, parsnips, and small chunks of a mysterious gray meat. Tucking in he couldn't think of a place he would rather be."

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 3, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just hate him out of habit.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just can't wait for GoT to be over so I can get an ending. I really really believe those spoilers that were leaked already are gonna be about 90% accurate too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ha! I had forgotten how stupid the 10th anniversary cover was.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

If your going to make money for charity off of prostitution so be it.

They're donating less than 10% of ticket sales. For $38 you could get a sad blowjob from a decent looking hooker or a decent blowjob from a sad looking hooker. Either would probably be more enjoyable and wouldn't take nearly 2 hours.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:eyepop:

Favorite line: "And he killed with an unnatural room filled with eighteen rocks"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm digging the predictive text writings. I tried playing with it, but wasn't getting anything good. I don't think I know how to use it or something.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's an amazingly interesting story about how the destruction of the genre came about, and, like most fantasy genre destruction stories, this one start with the inflationary trends of the Japanese Yen as compared to the globalized average inflation rate. You see, if we analyze this data from Forex there's

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ugh, if this is gonna turn into a sex fairy thread I'm gonna have to skip through it until it gets to the mean giving tree part.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pash posted:

I'm going to hate read the third book, but I'm not going to spend any money on it, I'm going to get it from my local library. But of course by read the third book I mean not read it because its never coming out and there is no third book.

I'm gonna have to read it. Sort of like when I go past the first 5 episodes of a show I have to finish out the season no matter how bad it is. I made it through The Finder, I can make it through this fantasy series.

If it ever comes out.

It won't.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

Wolfe requires thinking and Rothfuss is, as was astutely pointed out here, Twilight for Boys

I wouldn't say that. Things actually happened in Twilight.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think Kvothe renamed himself (completely) to Kote. It's foreshadowed way to much and Rothfuss isn't a creative enough writer to change it up. I'll make some predictions as well:

- The Chandrian will not show up, or if they do they will be the good guys
- Bast stays awesome and turns out to be the "End Boss"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dude, that was Kvothe. Not Rothfuss. Kvothe was super duper good at sex with the sex goddess and then she loved him because he was so good at sex with her. But he was also strong, but not totally stronger than her, but still stronger than her because he was strong and good at sex.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Benson Cunningham posted:

I legit think the next D&D adventure I wrote for my group is going to be better than Oathbringer or The Slow Regard. Not that the bar is very high.

Put it to paper and send it to publishers.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nakar posted:

I always wonder how that works, as there are more than a few such books in the genre. Is it one of the participants just straight up ripping off their friends by repackaging the story they created together and taking all the credit for it as "author?" This seems like something that could make for a really interesting lawsuit.

Pffft, easy. Create an LLC to act as your holding company with equal ownership and publish under a pen name.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

latinotwink1997 posted:

Good news for you (and me) then, BotL hopefully will never be back since he got banned.

Awwwww.... he was annoying as hell, but I hate it when entertaining messes get banned.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wasn't sex ninjas like 200.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't think Lin-Manuel Miranda thinks Rothfuss' writing about music is credible, but he's getting paid a ton of money. How often do you hear people say "The source material sucks, but we'll see if I can't salvage something interesting out of this mess" when discussing giant popular properties for a major network?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Someone in the thread nailed it when they said Rothfuss writes about missing music as if Kvothe lost his iPod and not like someone who has lost the music in his heart.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So I just watched Moana with my niece and it was pretty great. And I hate song filled new Disney movies. Lin-Manuel is pretty drat good when he's not ripping off Captain Dan and the Scurvy Crew.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Playing with less strings while making your own music and playing an established song written for all strings are two totally different things. It's incredibly stupid, but I don't have as big of a problem with that as I did with loving Denna being the girl that sings along with him and she's fantastic and she cares more about him than the guy she's with and she totally knows that and Kvothe totally knows that, and that stupid guy could never truly understand her the way Kvothe does because they went on a wagon trip once together.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I wouldn't mind hearing other stories from this world. Maybe they'll be interesting.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

May as well have a 16 year old master professor to fully embrace the anime of the series.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

Who wants to tell him?

I got this...

*clears throat

Ravenfood, what the thread and I are trying to tell you, and we all still love you just as much as we always have and this isn't your fault, but Rothfuss has a stupid ugly beard and probably smells like cured meat. Oh, he's also a bad writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LostRook posted:

Later books in the series follow Kvothe being distracted from writing his memoirs as he must do battle with the Chandarian by publishing passive-aggressive reviews of their books in the Arcanist Monthly.

Kvothe jauntily signs a copy of Haliax's book with the inscription "Way to kill my family when Iax'd you not to!" as he poses for Sim to quiclky paint a picture of him and the kid just trying to buy the damned book.