Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Ugh, I play violin (amateurly) but even I can tell you that if a string breaks in the middle of a major concerto you're hosed. I remember a story about Joshua Bell playing when a string broke and he had to swap instruments with an orchestra member. In theory, yes you can play the same notes on different strings but no way in hell do you have the muscle memory to do that and if your G or E breaks you are literally losing range.

So loving dumb.

But yea, as the rest of the thread noted, nothing actually happens in the Wise Mans Fear is my point. Who's ready for the third brick?
At least on guitar, if you break a string, every other string goes seriously out of tune. So not only do you have to move notes to other strings, you have to adjust to a completely different non-standard tuning.

Thanks to my (terrible) guitar playing, I can appreciate what a great musician Kvothe truly is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

That's not fair at all Kirito is good at one thing, Kvothe isn't just good at music, and applies that to magic or something no hes good at EVERYTHING, except for relationships.

Basically he's a more lame version of a John Ringo protagonist, who's only flaw is getting laid too much.
But Kvothe is also so good at relationships that that one king had to hire him in order to pick up whoever that woman was, which thanks to Kvothe's genius worked. Kvothe is just bad at his own relationship with Denna, because of his tragic flaw of sometimes failing to take advantage of how completely awesome he is.

It's like when he was living on the streets, until he realized that he could effortlessly talk his way into free boots and admittance to the top magic school. Or when he was unable to pay for tuition, until he remembered that he was the greatest musician and could just go win a contest.

You could probably make an interesting story about someone with godlike powers but crippling self-doubt, but I don't think Rothfuss is the author to do it. Instead, Kvothe just fails to apply himself when it would otherwise break the story.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Maybe the whole thing with Felurian is Kvothe being an unreliable narrator, and she isn't an unattainable sex goddess so much as a deranged hermit living in the forest and thinking the trees are conspiring against her.

And he misunderstood when he thought everyone was saying that you couldn't have sex with her and survive, when they were really saying "sex with that deranged hermit would be a fate worse than death." Everyone wasn't amazed that he survived, but that he had sex with her at all, and even more that he dared show his face again to brag about it.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Rothfuss was creating his own magic world, so he could have actually decoupled sex and reproduction, and written about the ramifications. In fact, I'll just assume that's true and everyone just got tired of trying to explain to Kvothe that he was an idiot.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

It's not like believing that a goddess makes the crops grow, because that's unverifiable. It's more like not believing that planting seeds in the ground makes crops grow, despite seeing it happen plenty of times. Even the most primitive society can figure out cause-and-effect when there is actual observable data. The ancient Greeks may have believed in Demeter, but they still figured out to plant crops, because otherwise they would have starved to death.

So yeah, it's a pretty dumb excuse for promiscuous sex ninjas.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

I figured he was supposed to be Jimi Hendrix playing the Star-Spangled Banner.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

It doesn't matter whether he knows anything about music. All that matters is that he panders to people that know music.

It's like how he can declare a feminist and everything he writes is accepted because he's on their team. Ascribe everything he'd written to [some author feminists hate] and it'd be derided as misogynistic garbage.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

I would find his explanation more plausible if books one and two were intricate works that had been extensively edited and revised, but they appear to be just a bunch of loosely connected adventures that all center around Kvothe. Plus, making things coherent is what a story editor would do, so he could have handed off book three for revision long ago.

My guess is that he's gotten old enough to be embarrassed with whatever passes for book three, and since he hasn't been writing, he hasn't gotten any better so he can't fix it.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

In theory, sure, because there are plenty of competent writers that would anonymously write a book from an outline. In practice, no, because that sould require finishing an outline.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

All the delay will be worth it when it turns out the Kvothe kills King Joffrey in the most exciting writing collaboration ever.

I'm tempted to write a crossover conclusion to both series myself just to flex on two acclaimed authors. The catch is that I haven't actually thought about either series in years, so I can't remember what all the loose plots threads are, or have any mental picture of how to get the geography to overlap. Or even whether King Joffrey is still alive to be killed for that matter.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Well if I don't get to kill real Joffrey then it's hardly worth it. I'll have to continue practicing writing with original novels. Which I then discard because they're not good enough, especially without the.hook of being an amateur attempt to shove two unrelated franchises together which could at least be amusingly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

If Kvothe is an unreliable narrator and the real Edema Ruh aren't as inherently flawless as he claims, am I to conclude that Kvothe didn't actually restrain himself from raping the girls he rescued?

It'd actually explain a lot of the story if the reality is "incel gets magic powers and use them to go on a rape spree," like escaping from the sex fairy, the barmaid suddenly liking him, why everyone he knows now shuns him, etc. Except Bast still hangs around him, but he must be like those guys that idolize Elliott Rogers. Until a third book says otherwise, I think I'm going with this as my interpretation.