Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Where in the previous thread is the story about HIJK's breakup over these books? HIJK would you mind reposting this story for the new thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

This whole post is awful, but LOTR is too boring but Tom Bombadil is amazing is one I havn't heard before.

If I knew more about his personality, I would assume that he purposefully made up an opinion designed specifically to annoy LOTR fans as a joke. He might have been entirely serious here though, I don't know. I DO know that he really, really liked the Conan stories and pulpy fantasy and didn't care as much about Tolkien. It's kind of fun to read about the early days of D&D, which fantasy novels influenced the creators and how those creators tried to pull the rules/settings their way.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

It also reads a bit like an angry rant at the end of a long argument so there is probably some missing context and rants are never the most coherent.

Oh, the context I can definitely provide. This was the mid-80s, TSR, had lost a few lawsuits with the Tolkien estate back in the 70s-- because even if Gary PERSONALLY didn't like LOTR, TSR was more than willing to sell "Battle of the five armies" expansions or something like that back when they thought they could get away with it. When this issue of Dragon came out (1985), the D&D cartoon was just coming to TV, and the company was making a big effort to present their brand as something different and unique. This was the moment when D&D was poised to become a super-mainstream cultural phenomena, only for it to recede back into fringe nerdom for a time due to a combination of a little bad timing and a LOT of terrible business decisions.

So, articles/speeches like this were meant to distract everyone from the fact that vanilla D&D was basically middle earth with bits of Conan and Elric.