Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Now that we have a new thread is jivjov ever gonna answer my fuckin question about Rothfuss' treatment of female characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

It doesn't matter how the show turns out either. Rothfuss fans and apologists, as well as the legion of people who think Hamilton is awe-inspiring, will hail it as The Show To Watch When GoT Ends regardless.

If we're lucky everyone involved with the project will decide to ham it up, Hercules and Xena style, and we'll end up with another mediocre show like Legend of the Seeker. If we're *really* lucky Rothfuss with throw a fit and demand the show be Game Of Thrones 2: (a beautiful) Game Harder, causing the show to never get produced and Rothfuss to be exposed as the mediocre writer who happened to have a book in the right place at the right time that he is.

But since the show is just based in the world (which lets idiots like Lin-Manuel talk about how wonderful Rothfuss's middle school student D&D campaign-grade worldbuilding is) and lets them actually write stuff, it'll probably get made as long as Rothfuss is just there to get paid more money than he deserves.

Okay but Xena was amazing and if we got something in the style of Xena it would be awesome. (but we won't because Rothfuss is allergic to writing interesting female characters.)

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

I'd much rather see a Craft Sequence series, as the "Magic as lawyering" is better and more integral to the plot.

God drat this would be so, so loving good. And Gladstone deserves it miles more than Rothfuss does.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

City of Brass was alright. It needed some polish, and I expect the next one to be better in that respect.

As for Sanderson I finally picked up the first Stormlight book on the recommendation (read: constant loving badgering) of a friend and I'm about 250 pages in and I'm wondering when the plot actually starts to happen or when a character I give a poo poo about will appear. It's bad enough that he's apparently TurboMormon and I won't see any gay people in the drat books, c'mon.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If its explainable and rational it's not magic, just a different law of physics

Depends on the setting.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not really

If magic is rational it is mundane. Why aspire to the mystical if you only want to bring it down to earth?

Okay, let me rephrase: it's cool that you prefer to see magic and mysticism written in a certain way but that is not the only way to write it and pulling some No True Wizard poo poo does not make your position the one true way to do the thing.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

He's saying it's not magic at all, period, regardless of how it's regarded and written in the setting, but rather some kind of Advanced Physics thing.

I can think of like, several books off the top of my head where this definitely isn't the case in-setting. Even real-life "magical" traditions you'll find really methodical bullshit.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

There are books written by east Asian authors which use Asian-inspired settings but which are written and intended to be read in English. A lot of silkpunk, for example.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

^^ I was thinking of JY Yang specifically myself. But yeah there are tons of examples.

I also think you guys are confusing over-explaining magic within the narrative like you see in books like, well, TNotW and everything Sanderson writes, with the magic in-setting being something that is codeified and relatively well-understood by the people using it.

The former is bad because over-explaining that kind of poo poo in general is bad. The latter is fine if that's the role magic is serving in your story; it hasn't stopped being magic just because the people using it know what they're doing.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

The difference between Lynch and Rothfuss is that Lynch can and has taken criticism about it and has actively tried to be better about things while acknowledging how flawed his past work has been. Rothfuss meanwhile stands as a monument to Look At What a Good Male Feminist I Am.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Different kind of good time.

Sometimes I'd rather have diet coke than a good wine, you know?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Sham bam bamina! posted:

What I'm saying is that Reene should have read my mind and mentioned beer instead.

Okay fine.

Sometimes you just feel like having a Tecate instead of a complex open-fermentation sour.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

The corollary to that is that Le Guin didn't need seven hundred pages because she could tell the same story much more pithily in 200. If you handed the plot of The Left Hand of Darkness to Sanderson or Jordan or (ugh) Rothfuss you'd end up with an unreadable trilogy of eight hundred pages per book. And the story, even if the key points were intact, would frankly lose something in the conversion. The density is part of the telling.

That said...sometimes the empty, verbose bullshit hits the spot because you'll slide off something more dense that day. So I do see the appeal of the sparse, meandering bullshit that takes ten pages to say what a good author could in one.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Andrast posted:

I like sparse, meandering bullshit because I can listen to it at work without it affecting my work

Yeah, Sanderson is the kind of poo poo I read when I'm going to sleep. I just prop up my kindle and drift off.

I wrote a big shpiel about Sanderson after finishing Stormlight which boiled down to: his books are incredibly interchangeable to the point that if you've read one Sanderson book you have really read them all, he clearly wants to be writing screenplays based on how tightly he cleaves to setup-reminder-payoff, and he's writing a story/setting, not characters. That's why the characters are such flat archetypes (Kaladin is Dude What Has Depression, Renarin is Nice Kid With Autism, Shallan is the Strong Abuse Survivor, etc) because they're just set pieces that do the bare minimum of whatever they need to be doing to move the story he wants to tell along.

This is actually pretty forgiveable if not extremely entertaining if you're really into character-driven stuff (like me) until you get to characters like Hoid, who both fails to exist within the confines of the story as it's being laid out and serves as the author's surrogate to explain the plot to readers he clearly doesn't think are smart enough to pick up on what's going on.

Reene fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 18, 2018

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Alas, Twitter ate it. But I'll see if I can piece it together from notes when I get home.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I am forced to disagree with the notion that there is any part of Reamde that was not extremely boring.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

It's hard to say how much of that is due to his inability to write consistent, coherent character arcs and how much of it is the fact that the book is a series of disjointed vignettes written at wildly different points in time that were poorly stitched together after he realized he needed a second book.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Doctor Faustine posted:

https://www.ohjoysextoy.com/patrick-rothfus-charity-comic/

For anyone who ever wondered about the (completely irrelevant) sexuality of any of Rothfuss’ characters.

Merry Christmas, y’all.

Ohhh god and it's Oh Joy Sex Toy

It's like poo poo meets vomit, a pair made in hell

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Malpais Legate posted:

Okay so I know Oh Joy Sex Toy is dumb but as someone who only ever sees it occasionally linked on the web, I don't understand why it's so frequently referred to so disparagingly.

Did it have a comic about using racial slurs to spice up your sex life or something? I just don't quite understand the revulsion surrounding it.

Lmao that Rothfart would think that this was a good idea though.

She's friendly with TERFs and neonazis, and is a transphobe herself that has written comics about how she likes to fetishise trans men but it's their own fault bc they're just so hot.

She's married to a cishet guy she "gave permission" to call gay women dykes while asserting she's still a lesbian and not one of those bis.

There's a lot more but she made comics about those two things.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I will fight you Lynch is way better :colbert:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Lynch has admitted he has done bad with regards to fridging Nazca and Ezri which is something that writers like, uh, Rothfuss won't even do. And has tried to do better in each successive book, which I think he has; Zamira loving owns, and the way he wrote Sabetha is probably the best way he possibly could have written her after two books of buildup. The next book has promised to have lots and lots of queer people in it, so that's something to look forward to as well. As for the third book, it's a transparent bridge novel, but the real story was the Esparra poo poo anyway.

Also there's nothing wrong with YA. :shrug:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I am still laughing at the idea that 24/hr isn't a ton of money for an NPO of this nature. (source: worked at an NPO for a long time)

But yeah, please let's not let this take away attention from Rothfuss being a loving sex pest.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

how you been avs

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Sham bam bamina! posted:

You could... log off Twitter??

If you're not familiar with who Lindsay Ellis is, social media is kind of how she makes a living, and she's explicitly referencing how this might hurt her ability to get future writing gigs as well. It's a legitimate fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Daric posted:

I'm so confused about why they were rapidly expanding. You're just...making tables. Get a big warehouse and pump them out. You don't need to expand.

:capitalism: