Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
A technician at my new job lent me the KKC audiobooks and I just finished NotW and, uh, wow. poo poo's rough. Is Wise Man's Fear any better? I've been holding off on starting it because I can only take so much Weird Old Innkeeper Graphically Describes The Bodies Of Underaged Women From His Past, And Also His Weird Violent Fantasies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Unreliable narrator works for me, because the way Kvothe describes everything just sounds like some poo poo he made up on the fly and isn't consistent at all. Like when he was in the Archives with the candle and got punished for it even though there's no reasonable way for that to be his fault within the story but everyone conveniently ignores that fact, that's just a person who's bad at lying underselling what they did that got them banned from the Archives because they want you on their side.

Similarly when the Fishery caught fire all of a sudden the Dangerous Plot Liquid became a lot less dangerous incredibly quickly so that the contrived rescue could happen, you know, like he lied about how dangerous Plot Juice is or lied about the events of the rescue and had already forgotten how hard he sold the Plot Juice two hours earlier.

The sexualization bugs me because it's a dude in like his 40s just waxing philosophic about all the women he wanted to gently caress but didn't, which is pretty normal, but also emphasizing how much he definitely still wants to gently caress those teenagers. Are the sex ninjas at least adults who are adult-coded and written as adults? Because that would be less bad.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Kvoth is just an idiot, I've decided. Both young and old. I'm ~5 hours into WMF and Kvoth has just been accused of distributing charms, which he literally did, he gave a little girl a thing he called a charm at the beginning of the book and told her it would fend off demons. He has no recollection of this event, which given the breakneck pace of these books may have been two weeks ago. He's just an idiot.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
If you think Bast will contradict Kvothe then you missed the end of the first book where Bast loses his poo poo on Chronicler in his room because the point of tricking Chronicler into coming was to convince Kvothe to stop being a sad old man. That's the point, the only goal, and telling the story is incidental to that.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I'm in Chapter 53 of WMF and it's obvious that Rothfuss is afraid to write anything but poverty-stricken Kvothe, but simultaneously has no experience with poverty, so it means nothing. Every stime he talks about money it's "very little" or "a lot" (but not for long) with numbers meaninglessly substituting for those words, and every time he gets money he throws it away ASAP on nice things he doesn't need or loses it or has it stolen so we can get back to Poor Kvothe. This is the behavior of a deeply depressed person engaging in self-destruction, but the narrative never acknowledges that, much less addresses and corrects it.

Kvothe boards a ship with ~18 Talents in his pocket, a minor fortune by his own explicit description, then ends his journey a couple span later with no money and nothing he had packed save for his lute and its priceless case, which he immediately pawned. None of this is for any benefit, we don't even get to hear how it happened, just that it happened. It seems like Rothfuss couldn't deal with the Gram or the Cloak Of Holding in a good, creative way so these end up at the bottom of the ocean and cut to bandages respectively because Kvothe must return to poverty and helplessness or Rothfuss won't be able to write him anymore.

He also clearly doesn't understand professional musicians, despite choosing to make that Kvothe's occupation (at least that's what he says). Outside of the inns he works at and specifically the Eolian he doesn't perform professionally, which is why he's in poverty constantly, he just emphatically refuses to do his job for money like a professional musician would do. It's the solution to all his problems and he cold clock never does it.

He also pawns his lute, a mere half-dozen chapters after his lute going missing after a night of debauchery puts him in a cold panic. Pawning his lute is my hard out, it's foolish to give up your only way of earning money and part of your identity as a musician, especially when you haven't even tried to get your feet under you in a new place yet. As someone who has known musicians my whole life, no professional musician would handle that situation the way Kvothe did, it's ridiculous.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 15, 2024

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Goffer posted:

Ugh, made me look it up again:

>When Murbella, an Honored Matre, tries to sexually bond Idaho, he entraps and enslaves her, revealing the Tleilaxu purpose: To conquer the Honored Matres by using a better version of their own sexual techniques.... Idaho and Murbella are confined to a no-ship on Chapterhouse. There, Idaho trains young men to go out into the universe and enslave Honored Matres.

That's in heretics dune, a Frankie original. Lol it's pretty... in depth https://theboywhocan11.tumblr.com/post/162920655227/heretics-of-dune-the-smut-scenes-on-pages-434-to . For context, is Duncan the hero at this point?

Yes but Torrannor said "Herbert's masterpieces," of which Heretics is decidedly not one.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
The problem with money being a driver for the plot is that it hangs around too long. For nearly the entirety of 2 books, money is the biggest or (more often) only problem Kvothe has. We're told he's a talented musician and (after the first book) a talented artificer, and indeed he does make money from these things, but it's never enough except when it is. He could even tutor other students, presumably for shitloads given the way tuition is assigned and the mass of noble failchildren enrolled. The entire money subplot therefore revolves around Kvothe simply choosing not to do the extremely profitable work he can do, except when he has literally no other option and deadlines are looming, and choosing instead to pursue extracurriculars like chasing women.

It's a lack of growth. He doesn't conquer money, because being poor is something Rothfuss feels comfortable writing. He loses everything over and over, reduced back down to the clothes on his back, but it's still not growth because the person underneath is still the same stupid shithead.

Think about it, halfway through the second book he goes to Vintas and finds out the Mayor is being slowly poisoned. There's little urgency here, as this has been going on for months at a minimum, but he injects himself into the problem immediately to no benefit. When his plan derails because the birds seemingly won't die, he proceeds to leave the grounds without permission, which is the most suspicious thing he could do short of stabbing the mayor. There are other, better options, of course, but he doesn't take them, and then he has an outburst and the situation happens to solve itself because we happen to find out that the manservant has been disposing of dead birds.

If Deus Ex Machina did not step in there, Kvothe would be dead. This is evidence his wits and smarts are insufficient to protect him from a situation he created after a book and a half of what should be personal growth. How is he supposed to help others when he digs himself holes he cannot escape? Why doesn't he get better at this by the midpoint of Book Two Of Three?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Kchama posted:

It's great as he clearly came in here expecting it to be a fanthread and thought we were trolling him or something. I'm probably the only idiot here who has actually fully read the books.

One more week and I'll have listened to the first two. I'm at the fuckfairy part now and it's rough, slow going but I think I'm past halfway through.

Or is there more?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Chronicler is just there to gather as much information as possible so every half-legitimate hero within five kingdoms can figure out how to most effectively kill Kvothe The Bloodless Prick, Bringer Of Misforutune. The irony is, he already has all he needs by the midpoint of the second book: send in a harem with knives. gently caress him 'til he can't stand then hack him to pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

TheLoquid posted:

The frame story is stupid in a huge variety of ways, but it also makes no sense that Borge is such a legendary figure within like five years of his exploits.

He was a legend before the halfway point of the first book. It's like a book sequel to the Fable games.

"Aye you, chicken-chaser!"