Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Atlas Hugged posted:

But given that he's a Mormon and the last well known Mormon sci-fi author is most recently best known for his insane rants, Sanderson probably figured keeping his drat mouth shut was for the best even if he happened to be (comparatively) liberal.

Sanderson has made bone-headed comments in the past (though not even approaching Card), but was called out on it and did some self-reflection and apologized and, most importantly, accepted such events as learning experiences and worked to be a better person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It seems like it'll be Ambrose, what with the little sections detailing how he's moving up the line of succession.

That could also be a misdirect, but I don't think Pat is that talented.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

TV Zombie posted:

Now I really wish I had picked up a signed copy of TNOTW at my local BN so I could scribble over the signature myself.

If you can get something signed by Rothfuss for cheap, flip that poo poo on eBay. I made like $500 on some books and stuff last year.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ccs posted:

Did Tor publish the book? if so anything on their blog would have to be effusive. It's advertising.

If the blog author really did like the book that much, well, I guess it's good that people enjoy things.

It was published by DAW.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I also think the third book will come out just in time for Christmas.

You have to include a year for this to be a valid entry in the Doors of Stone release date pool.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

FYI there's a new Black Company book coming out this year. It's set sometime during the second trilogy I believe.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

M_Gargantua posted:

Alternate Alternate ending: Kote the Tarbean orphan who escaped a life of poverty and once met denna on a caravan was never kvothe. Denna was the real daughter of the lackless runaway who hitched with an Edema Ruh, was the one who went to the university and does magic. Now they're crafting a stooge to take the heat of the law off Denna who killed a certain royal dandy. They're making the story of Kvothe up nearly from scratch based on all the men who chased Denna throughout her cursed life.

That actually sounds like an interesting story.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Yeah it's this. I used to resent him a lot when I was younger because he's a legit bad author but he has a ton of hustle, which is more than you can say for a lot of similarly bad authors(like the one this thread is about)

I'd argue Rothfuss has a lot of hustle, it's just all dedicated to doing anything other than writing book 3.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

pentyne posted:

Seems to love any chance to write with or for famous sci to fantasy writers/developers.

Didnt he write a character for Torment that was actually not bad just sort of bland and 1 dimensional? I also think some of his attemepted participation fell flat.

Wasnt Rothfuss one of the people who lost a large sum of money in the handcrafted wooden gaming tables too?

Regarding Torment, his character was alright from what I recall. Decent story, loving pain in the rear end mechanically though.

And yeah, he was a big investor in Geek Chic, so he lost whatever he put in.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

BananaNutkins posted:

'You smell so good. Its stupid' is a reference to a blog post Pat wrote ages ago about not knowing how to phrase those words for best emphasis. I think it was supposed to show us what a wordsmith auteur he is that it takes him six hours to compose six words.

I hate that I know this, but it's something his wife said to him (or so he claims, anyhow).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

latinotwink1997 posted:

To me, if a story can be told in only two hundred pages, there isn’t enough build up and engaging elements to be of interest.

Well that's certainly something.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

pentyne posted:

Fun question: Has anyone gone over what Rothfuss wrote for Tides of Numenora? That was a big deal to him and he was a big part of the KS campaign. I kind of wonder if Rothfuss is one of those creative minds who excel best under a good director/editor reigning in his worst excesses like Kurt Sutter.

If I'm not mistaken, he wrote the companion Rhin. She's alright, but from what I recall doesn't particularly standout as either good or bad.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Was that the pirate adventure that gets mentioned in WMF? I'm convinced that whole thing is a calculated move by Rothfuss to market a novella at some point.

Well, was, since he's seemingly given up actually writing.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Never accept a PB&J sandwich from Rothfuss.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Those glasses are a choice.

Someone made those.

Someone thought they were a good enough idea to sell them.

And then Pat Rothfuss thought they were a good enough idea to buy and wear them.

A choice of three parts, if you will.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

TV Zombie posted:

Does signing other people's books a habit he picked up from someone else,perhaps?

There have been random social media posts through the years of one author signing books by another author. The key difference in literally every single one of those cases was that someone purchased the book prior to the signing and it was done tongue-in-cheek. Rothfuss, being a consummate moron, missed the point and is instead a complete dick.

I have something like 800 signed books, only one of which is signed by someone that did not work on the book. It was done as a gag at the suggestion of the guy that actually wrote the book because it was a running joke between the two authors for that specific book. You don't just show up at a bookstore and start signing books you had nothing to do with.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Although I remember Rothfuss' character being the best of the companions, which is either damning him with faint praise, or just plain damning.

That's an interesting point. His best work, such as it is, is stuff written with hard deadlines: the Bast short and the NPC.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I believe he teaches at whatever university is close to him.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I think they were doing ok with the furniture, but bought some other failing business and trying to prop that up killed them.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I honestly cant think of another fantasy author that has seen THAT much success from their first two books. Even folks like Martin and Sanderson took years or decades to see that level of financial success, and authors that are demonstrably better than Rothfuss, like Jemisin, are not nearly as financially successful.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I think I'd actually be surprised if he wasn't publishing other stuff under a pen name.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

pseudanonymous posted:

He's an incredibly lazy self-aggrandizing liar who isn't a good writer. What makes you think he's hard at work concealing his true identity and doing work? Somewhere else?

He's not that lazy, he's constantly jumping on other projects. He seems to actually enjoy writing, he just, for probably a number of reasons, isn't writing the third book in his main series. He's also very online, so on top of the abuse he gets (mostly deserved, mind you), he also sees the abuse hurled at GRRM whenever he works on something other than ASoIaF, so it wouldn't surprise me if Rothfuss used a pen name to write short fiction as a hobby. I'm not saying he's cranking out entire series under a pen name, I just suspect he submits a story of two each year and doesn't say anything about it so he can sidestep additional trolling.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ccs posted:

Since 2014 he's written 4 issues of a comic book and advised on a video game. That's the extent of his writing in the last 6 years. I wouldn't say he's busy "jumping on other projects."

Huh, for some reason I thought he'd been involved in more video games.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

In retrospect the tree is the only really interesting part of the series and I'm ki d of mad that Rothfuss came up with it, rather than a better writer.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Solice Kirsk posted:

We've seen them twice in two books. How much more do you guys need! Now the fact that the soon-to-be-dead king hasn't made an appearance...that's weird.

Seemed pretty clear that Ambrose is going to be that king, what with the asides showing him moving closer to the throne each time a relative died.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

If it's twist, I'm thinking Ambrose will get up to second in line and make some sort of deal with Kvothe for him to kill the king. Probably related to Denna and/or the Chandrian.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Horizon Burning posted:

What does someone like Rothfuss do for income? Surely the few books he's published can't be keeping him afloat? Is it all reprints and new editions? How does it work?

I believe he teaches.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ccs posted:

So he's fine as long as he invested wisely.

He invested in GeekChic.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Looking at those comments I'd completely forgotten about his charity that... doesn't come across as much of a charity to put it nicely.

This prompted me to go through their most recent tax filings and...uh...yeah, you hit the nail on the head here. Very Trumpian, assuming I"m reading this correctly.

$26k given out in grants and $524k in operating expenses against $700k revenue for 2018. Fuckin' yikes.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 28, 2020

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

On the one hand, he doesn't take a salary. On the other hand, the charity pays him $85k for rent.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

pseudanonymous posted:

It doesn't really seem to be a scam where he pays himself a lot of money.

The "charity" paid him three times more in rent than it gave out for charitable reasons for the most recent year data is available. Just because he isn't drawing a salary doesn't mean he's not using the charity to enrich himself.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

In the interest of fairness, a lot of authors and geek-related businesses donate stuff for Worldbuilders to auction off, so some amount of rent is not out of the question since that stuff needs to be stored somewhere.

However, almost $90k is absurd.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hughmoris posted:

Didn't Robert Jordan hire Brandon Sanderson to finish his final book? Maybe Rothfuss can be convinced of the same.

Jordan's widow, actually.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Daric posted:

Sanderson isn’t even able to write most of his own books anymore. He’s using partner authors to write most of the non-cosmere books while he focuses on Stormlight.

That's not even remotely true. I get that Sanderson isn't popular around here, but don't just make poo poo up to fit your narrative.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Daric posted:

“PART NINE: BONUS SECTION, THE FUTURE OF THE COSMERE
One thing you might have noticed in the secondary projects section is that I have a number of collaborations in the works. This is partially because I wanted the chance to work with some of my friends on books, which is a fun and different way to write. But it’s also because I’ve begun to realize that I need to keep more of my focus on the Cosmere.”

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2019/

Yeah let me tell you how I’m lying about things to fit my narrative...

Probably because working on collaborations is a very different thing than turning over your IP to co-authors.

Edit: To clarify, I read your initial post on this topic as Sanderson farming out his other series, which is not what he's doing, he's just not going to be focusing on them going forward. At the same time, he's doing a number of collaborations with other authors. These are two separate things happening in his career.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 23, 2020

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Captain Hotbutt posted:

When his editor called him out for not writing, I wonder if he reached out to contact her about things - an apology, a progress report, etc. - or if he scuttled into the dark and is avoiding the situation. No idea on the behind-the-scenes situation on that.

Search your heart, you know the answer.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Pretty sure that's a goon because I remember a similar breakdown of the book in this thread (or the previous iteration).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ulmont posted:

The amazing part is that Penny Arcade was there about a decade earlier.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/24/the-adventures-of-twisp-and-catsby

The comic itself was aping Kevin Smith having the classic "you can't criticize my art, you're not a writer/director" meltdown.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

BananaNutkins posted:

I disliked him enough to look into the reports of his charity, which is a charity to raise awareness of other charities, but I was disappointed to find that, at least in publicly available documents, he's not abusing the organization (but I am hardly an expert in this matters).

I looked into that a while back and it seemed sketchy on the surface. Like most of the reported income went towards rent on property owned by Rothfuss.

In the interest of fairness, some speculated that since Worldbuilders (ostensibly) funnels money to other charities, most donations aren't reported or are reported differently or something. I'm not an expert on charitable organizations and their taxes, so I can't comment any further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hughmoris posted:

And when he got tuned up by a couple of redshirts in his own place of business. Fraud.

See, this part could be cool if it was being written by a better author. The legends make Kvothe out to be a consummate badass, the story he's telling make him out to be a badass, but he gets his rear end whooped. What changed? There's an interesting story there!

Rothfuss will, of course, handwave it away and tell us we wouldn't find it entertaining, much like the pirate adventure.