Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SoapyTarantula posted:

Yeah.. a few days ago I had about 6 hours of constant bad luck and lost around 700k rubles worth of poo poo. :negative: Another reason why I prefer going in with as little gear as I can.

The 12x scope is really ridiculous enough that I can't see why you'd ever take the 24x. I don't really run with any of the magnified sights very often anyways. I'm not sure if they've changed it but last time I used the HAMR scope it had such bad scope shadow at higher FoV that it was almost unusable, as well as the the weirdly exaggerated front-end wobble that happens once you slap a sight onto a gun.

The only time I really run magnified optics anymore is a PSO on an AK or OP-SKS, since they are fairly plentiful. My normal gun is an AK with a PSO + offset red dot and that big spiky muzzle brake because :black101:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I just end up running the AK SMG with a a suppressor and red dot. poo poo works stupid well, has almost no recoil, and is quiet. Waaaay safer to use than something loud ice found.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The full-sized AK costs only a bit more than the AKSU and is way better at range.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Akion posted:

The full-sized AK costs only a bit more than the AKSU and is way better at range.

I was referring to the Vityaz, the 9x19 SMG that Prapor stocks.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
My new meta is a suppressed TT. Skiier sells a threaded barrel and the silencer at level 2. poo poo is dirty.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

MohawkSatan posted:

I was referring to the Vityaz, the 9x19 SMG that Prapor stocks.

Ahhhh. My bad.

Zipperelli. posted:

My new meta is a suppressed TT. Skiier sells a threaded barrel and the silencer at level 2. poo poo is dirty.

Yeah, the Tokarev eats armor. It'll be interesting if they add any SMG's in 7.62 Tok. And by interesting I mean bloody.

Akion fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 9, 2017

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Please tell me the PPSh and PPS are coming at some point. :pray:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I saw a bit of the customization of this game and it got me wondering.

Can I fully skeletonize a gun? Like, all parts exposed and some poo poo.

Other than that, I might get this later on.

Orv
May 4, 2011

widespread posted:

I saw a bit of the customization of this game and it got me wondering.

Can I fully skeletonize a gun? Like, all parts exposed and some poo poo.

Other than that, I might get this later on.

Right now the only real skeleton you can expose is removing the dust cover on various AKs and AK derivations. They'll fire like that, and you'll see it work, because these crazy motherfuckers decided let's model the entirety of the internal workings of guns, in Unity, in a high speed multiplayer shooter. So that's a thing.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
If it's a non-critical component, the gun will run without it.

So you can pull the dust cover, stock, and rear sight off your AK and it'll sill work. Won't work without handguards or a pistol grip.

M4 will run sans stock but not sans buffer tube.

You can take the grip panels off of pistols, and sometimes scavs will spawn with a P226 with no sights.

Also, if you want to be a total dick after killing someone, you can strip their gun down into constituent pieces if you have a multitool. Then you extract with all the little bits (or leave them behind and take the receiver) so they just get part of the gun they can't use back from insurance.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Akion posted:

Also, if you want to be a total dick after killing someone, you can strip their gun down into constituent pieces if you have a multitool. Then you extract with all the little bits (or leave them behind and take the receiver) so they just get part of the gun they can't use back from insurance.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea you could do this. Troll level 9000.

Also, my best TT run so far:

Went in with nothing but my TT and 2 mags. gently caress yes. (I insured everything once I got back to the inventory screen. Take no chances)

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Nice. Dude deserved to lose his poo poo for that atrocity of an M4.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You can insure mid game?

So I can loot, insure, dump off a bridge??

Orv
May 4, 2011

Phi230 posted:

You can insure mid game?

Nope, pre-game only.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Phi230 posted:

You can insure mid game?

Can't insure in-game, but you can in the loadout screen. I insure everything once I leave a raid.

Also, yea, the M4 is poo poo, but it looks like someone without too much experience was attempting to mod it out. It's silenced and has a baller optic, so I'll use it.

Zipperelli. fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 10, 2017

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
The thing I hate the most about battle royale games is dying early in a match and wasting all the time spend preparing/loading. How does that fare over here in EFT?

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

The M4 is extremely powerful in my experience. It's 5.56 FMJ deals a lot of damage. If you are using ball it is pretty bad though.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Umbreon posted:

The thing I hate the most about battle royale games is dying early in a match and wasting all the time spend preparing/loading. How does that fare over here in EFT?

Well you can die basically at any moment to a few bullets to some dude or even an AI and lose all your stuff, so I guess that would be a problem. In larger maps if you are trying for maximum dumb sprinting out in the open directly at another player spawn you can get killed as early as 30 seconds, but realistically you might encounter an enemy within 2 minutes or so.In the murder box map Factory you can die in 10 seconds or less, but if you are going in there after pondering your equipment for 30 mins beforehand you're doing it wrong.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

AbortRetryFail posted:

Well you can die basically at any moment to a few bullets to some dude or even an AI and lose all your stuff, so I guess that would be a problem. In larger maps if you are trying for maximum dumb sprinting out in the open directly at another player spawn you can get killed as early as 30 seconds, but realistically you might encounter an enemy within 2 minutes or so.In the murder box map Factory you can die in 10 seconds or less, but if you are going in there after pondering your equipment for 30 mins beforehand you're doing it wrong.

So I guess I want know know how long it takes from after I die until I'm back on the ground in a new match(or respawn?)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Umbreon posted:

So I guess I want know know how long it takes from after I die until I'm back on the ground in a new match(or respawn?)

From a purely clicking buttons to enter a game standpoint, barring any glitches or bugs, you can get in a new raid in under two minutes. The thing that takes up the between match time is inventory management and equipping new gear when you lose your previous loadout. Once you're comfortable with the inventory that'll only add another minute or two.

The issue that might come up for your preferences is that while you're learning the game you might run out of weapons to the point where you need to buy more, adding more time.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Ugh, this loving game. Just ran 6 raids in a row and died every time to some bullshit or another.

gently caress, I hate this game. But I also love it. God drat it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You can't escape from Tarkov's Syndrome.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Zipperelli. posted:

Ugh, this loving game. Just ran 6 raids in a row and died every time to some bullshit or another.

gently caress, I hate this game. But I also love it. God drat it.

Just keep going. Eventually I'll have all your gear.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
just bought this. i'm not a big fan of the cooldown on scav missions. i want to learn the game but also carry poo poo home with me! :mad:

other than that, i'm having fun so far. spawned in the tunnels in factory, waited until the shooting subsided, killed some stragglers (one player, couple of AIs) and made it out with some weapons and a key, plus some stuff i sold.

i generally tend to sneak and wait rather than get into firefights in these kinds of games. how doable is that sort of playstyle?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

just bought this. i'm not a big fan of the cooldown on scav missions. i want to learn the game but also carry poo poo home with me! :mad:

other than that, i'm having fun so far. spawned in the tunnels in factory, waited until the shooting subsided, killed some stragglers (one player, couple of AIs) and made it out with some weapons and a key, plus some stuff i sold.

i generally tend to sneak and wait rather than get into firefights in these kinds of games. how doable is that sort of playstyle?

Fairly doable. Which key did you get? If it's a Factory Key, you just won the lottery. :)

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
One goonfriend bought the game and got a factory key in his first 4 hours. Another reset his account and got it on his second scav run. I've been playing for over a month and a half and I haven't even seen the key.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I got mine on my 3rd or 4th scav run in the warehouse on customs.

That was a loving intense run to extraction.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Akion posted:

Fairly doable. Which key did you get? If it's a Factory Key, you just won the lottery. :)

nah, some room key i think. the nameless trader sold another one, so it can't have been that valuable.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Ah, yeah. Some keys are worth it, others are meh.

203, 303, 214, marked, customs, checkpoint and factory are the big ones I believe.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Akion posted:

Ah, yeah. Some keys are worth it, others are meh.

203, 303, 214, marked, customs, checkpoint and factory are the big ones I believe.

thanks! that's good to know.

also i got slaughtered in my next two games :xd:

one question: when I went in with my PMC character, I got insurance on everything I was carrying, but I didn't get anything back it seems? My gun, my ammo and so on is still missing from my stash and my character.

actually second question: have the devs said anything about adding additional player models?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

botany posted:

one question: when I went in with my PMC character, I got insurance on everything I was carrying, but I didn't get anything back it seems? My gun, my ammo and so on is still missing from my stash and my character.

My understanding is insurance takes up to 36 hours to get your stuff back to you and isn't reliable. If someone murders you and takes your stuff, insurance won't get it back.

IMO it's mostly pointless. Loot is easy come, easy go.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

thanks! that's good to know.

also i got slaughtered in my next two games :xd:

actually second question: have the devs said anything about adding additional player models?

Insurance takes 12-36 hours to return your items (depending on if you used Prapor or The Rapist). You can't insure ammo so it's never coming back. If someone takes your stuff and extracts, you don't get it back.

Common practice in a group is that when a player dies, you throw their poo poo in a bush/off a cliff/in a river so that it comes back via insurance.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
oh poo poo i had no idea! is that stated in the game somewhere and i just missed it?

also akion you should ask one of the mods to change the thread tag.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if it's mentioned in game, but yeah it's kind of a "Maybe" thing. Like, I just got back a bunch of shot-up PACAs and vests and bags, but no guns.

Sometimes I get guns back, though.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

botany posted:

oh poo poo i had no idea! is that stated in the game somewhere and i just missed it?

also akion you should ask one of the mods to change the thread tag.

It's sort of explained in the messages you get from the insurer. Prapor will say something to the effect of "My guys went to look for your stuff" and if they fail he will message you "Someone beat my guys to your stuff"

But no it's not really explained in any useful way.

Generally a good tactic is to dump your poo poo into a bush once you find a replacement, most of the time if someone kills you they take your insured geared and never get it back

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Thread tag fixed. Added a FAQ to the second post. Feel free to let me know other items to add.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Akion posted:

Thread tag fixed. Added a FAQ to the second post. Feel free to let me know other items to add.

since i'm the latest noob: how do you know if the scav you shot is a player or an AI? also thanks for the controls, i'm still figuring those out.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
No real way to tell, TBH.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Akion posted:

No real way to tell, TBH.

oh drat. i thought i heard some streamer say that player scavs will have / not have a pouch item or something along those lines. do AI scavs loot like player scavs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

AI scavs do not loot.

The inventory of player Scavs will have an empty equipment slot for a secure container labeled "pouch" while AI scavs will not have that as part of their possible equipment slots.