Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

oh drat. i thought i heard some streamer say that player scavs will have / not have a pouch item or something along those lines. do AI scavs loot like player scavs?

Oh yeah, they have the pouch slot. I thought you were asking how to tell if it was a player scav that killed you.

Also, if you see a Scav with 2 weapons, it's a player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
If you're doing scav runs, don't kill other scavs. Doesn't matter if they're player or AI. Doing so will make every AI scav aggro you, and your chances of a successful run drop dramatically.

Also, being a scav and getting killed by another scav is loving infuriating. Work together and gently caress some PMCs up.

As far as keys, there are only a few worth keeping:
114 (for The Rapist quest, then toss it)
Checkpoint
Factory
Zx-014 (or whatever the gently caress it's called)
Bunkhouse (for Prapor quest, then toss)

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

The factory key is the rarest and most important key. If you ever find one shove it in your secure container straight away.

It lets you bypass the checkpoint area of customs completely, and also opens 2 additional exits on Factory.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

AbortRetryFail posted:

The factory key is the rarest and most important key. If you ever find one shove it in your secure container straight away.

It lets you bypass the checkpoint area of customs completely, and also opens 2 additional exits on Factory.

Speaking of the factory key, I was farming for about a hot 30 hours trying to find one on Customs. Couldn't find poo poo. Was doing naked hatchet runs to the dorms, then checking the dead scav in the factory and lockers. Couldn't find it.

I'm watching someone stream 10 minutes after I turn the game off, and dude finds loving 2 of them in one raid. I remarked on it, and he told me to hop on and he'd give it to me for free. Good dude. Streamers name is Phobze, or something like that. Usually on late night. Cool dude without a huge following, so he's generally pretty chill and will interact with chat.

For reference, the key is worth about $5k USD, so I dropped him a $20 tip in appreciation.

Edit: jokes on me, the wipe will probably happen next loving week :lol:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
30 hours should have made you more than enough USD to just buy the key.

Speaking of USD, some dude just gave me $50K for a checkpoint key. Said he killed someone with a trizip full of USD so he was just giving it away.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Akion posted:

30 hours should have made you more than enough USD to just buy the key.

Speaking of USD, some dude just gave me $50K for a checkpoint key. Said he killed someone with a trizip full of USD so he was just giving it away.

Well, between the bullshit nothingness I'd find as a scav, and the dying with nothing to show for it, I made about $3k. Nobody on the tarkov trading Reddit was coming off it for less than $5k USD.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Get on the official Discord, get with a full group, and farm factory for a few hours. A good run will net you between $500-1.5k.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Akion posted:

Get on the official Discord, get with a full group, and farm factory for a few hours. A good run will net you between $500-1.5k.

Been considering grouping up lately. Usually I run solo because none of my buddies want to buy in to another early access game, but I may have to start running in a squad, even if it's randos.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The Discord is great. You'll end up finding some folks to play with regularly, and they very much enforce a no teamkilling policy.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I don't know how many rushes I made to the dorms just to see if a key was there but it took months. Of course it showed up the minute after I believed the existence of it was an elaborate hoax perpetuated by the community.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
From the EFT Reddit:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The dorms is the worst place to find the key IMO.

Best way is to Scab in on customs, check the dead scav on the couch in the one factory building, the blue locker behind him, and the car trunk at checkpoint. It's 4 spawn points all within two minutes of each other. (Locker, couch, scav inventory, car trunk)

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Ive had this game a few weeks and I have no idea how to play or what youre supposed to be doing but taking the grips and sights off guns is cool.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

StabMasterArson posted:

Ive had this game a few weeks and I have no idea how to play or what youre supposed to be doing but taking the grips and sights off guns is cool.

:same:

help me understand raid times thread. let's say i look at customs. the raid time there says 60 minutes. the way i understand it, player characters spawn in first, then after a while player scavs get added to the map. meanwhile AI scavs spawn at the start and also in waves along the way. is this correct?

do more players get spawned in once the original 3 to 7 have all died or extracted? let's assume I spawn in as a scav, find a hiding spot and wait half an hour. at that point wouldn't it basically be safe for me to loot the entire map, with the chance of player characters still being around being very low and me and the other scavs being buddies?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So, a Raid has a time limit, after which you become MIA (lose all your poo poo if you didn't extract). You can check current remaining time with the O key. This is what you see above the player count. There is also the Time Sequence (usually one day, one night), this is just the time the Raid starts.

Each Raid has a min/max player count. The Raid won't start unless you have enough players "It will sit at 'Awaiting Players' until you do.

Once the minimum Player Count is met, the Raid starts. For up to the first 5 minutes, additional players can spawn in up to the max player count (taking into account how many started).

So lets say you do Customs (5-7 players) with a 5-man group. You at most have 2 other PMC's to deal with who may spawn in at the same time, or up to 5 minutes after you. It's possible (though not likely) on Customs that you will actually be alone with your group. This means that watching your backs is always a good idea.

Now, Scavs spawn in waves. There is an initial wave that populates on Raid start. These are all AI. At varying times (Raid dependent, usually 5-10 minutes, then 10-15 minutes, then 35-40 minutes) additional scav waves spawn. These secondary/tertiary waves can include both AI and player scavs.

Factory is a really good place to see these mechanics in action. If you spawn in with a full 5-man group, you only have one other PMC at spawn to deal with. Then you have the first (spawn) wave of AI Scavs (5-6 of them). Then at 55 minutes remaining, you will get Scav wave 2 (5-6 AI + player scavs), then at 35 minutes you get Scav wave 3 (same as wave 2).

Akion fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 12, 2017

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Keep in mind the game is kind of janky about it. Connectivity is messy and the differences between joining a raid and actually getting in game means that with a crash or a hangup or bad latency you could load in as a PMC or Scav like 10 minutes late.

So don't rely on the timer to think "ok no more PMCs or player scavs because if you do you'll lose a fully geared MP5 to a late loader when you go use the bathroom.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, generally my group policy is "When we've killed all the other PMC's that could have spawned, we stop watching our backs as much."

It's still possible to get buttfucked by a Scav so it's always a good idea to have at least one person watching the rear. Group tactics can be very powerful in this game. Splitting up and taking sides as you move up roads instead of walking up the middle in a group (grenade bait). Having one guy open a door while another person is aiming at it prepared to fire if there is a mook behind it, etc...

The inverse of that is that a scav with a Makarov and some patience can literally wipe a fully-geared 5-man if he is careful.

The best way to play if you just want to win is in a 5-man on Discord, with one person being the "commander" who decides when you go somewhere, where you are going, and who is doing what. That said, a 5-man can reduce the challenge somewhat if you are all on your game.

Akion fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 12, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
alright, thanks for the explanations! i am still pretty much exclusively playing scav rounds to learn the game & maps, so it's nice to have an idea of what state the game is in when i spawn.

also a nice PMC came and gave me his VSS when i was camping the dead guy on the sofa in customs :3:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

alright, thanks for the explanations! i am still pretty much exclusively playing scav rounds to learn the game & maps, so it's nice to have an idea of what state the game is in when i spawn.

also a nice PMC came and gave me his VSS when i was camping the dead guy on the sofa in customs :3:

Nice! The VSS is a murder machine on factory. Ammo is expensive though.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I think Im too retarded to keep all these systems in the back of my mind while playing but I did stab a guy in the rear end earlier so def worth the price of entry

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
A lot of it is way simpler than it sounds.

At its core, shoot mans loot mans.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I think the sweet spot for raids is 4 mans. But I like fighting other PMCs for that sweet sweet loot. I've done a a lot of two man factory raids and it feels so good to wipe squads.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i'm starting to see how limiting the stash size is. i bought the standard version, and i can pretty much give up on the idea of ever storing backup weapons it seems. there are a shitton of keys you can collect, and my rubles take up a ridiculous amount of space. i'm actually a fan of inventory tetris, but this is the first thing about the game i really dislike.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

botany posted:

i'm starting to see how limiting the stash size is. i bought the standard version, and i can pretty much give up on the idea of ever storing backup weapons it seems. there are a shitton of keys you can collect, and my rubles take up a ridiculous amount of space. i'm actually a fan of inventory tetris, but this is the first thing about the game i really dislike.

I can hold 4 primary weapons, a couple of handguns, and a couple chest rig/backpack pairs. Add in magazines, loose ammo, and meds, and yeah, that's pretty much all the space.

That said, it doesn't really bother me. Loot is easy come, easy go. Take fun stuff out on raids until you lose it.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

Yeah, it's kind of punishing. They're going to add the ability to expand it at a later date (I would guess in December maybe).

Best thing is to turn your rubles into USD via Peacekeeper (buy guns from Prapor for Rubles, sell to Peacekeeper for USD). Once you level Peacekeeper up you can just run M4's and have a stack of USD to buy them. Then you just need rubles for vests from Skier and maybe ammo from Prapor.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I can hold 4 primary weapons, a couple of handguns, and a couple chest rig/backpack pairs. Add in magazines, loose ammo, and meds, and yeah, that's pretty much all the space.

That said, it doesn't really bother me. Loot is easy come, easy go. Take fun stuff out on raids until you lose it.

Yep. Just keep 2-3 of your favorite decked out primary weapon so you just need to get armor and get back into the fray.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I think my favorite part is having the game take 10 minutes to load and then you dying within 30 seconds

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Akion posted:

Yeah, it's kind of punishing. They're going to add the ability to expand it at a later date (I would guess in December maybe).

Best thing is to turn your rubles into USD via Peacekeeper (buy guns from Prapor for Rubles, sell to Peacekeeper for USD). Once you level Peacekeeper up you can just run M4's and have a stack of USD to buy them. Then you just need rubles for vests from Skier and maybe ammo from Prapor.

:eyepop: oooh that's smart, i hadn't thought of that. i'm gonna do that.

StabMasterArson posted:

I think my favorite part is having the game take 10 minutes to load and then you dying within 30 seconds

put it on an ssd. from clicking "ready" to shooting mans takes me 30 to 50 seconds, depending on the map. and the game is so ridiculously small in size that i actually have enough space (looking at you, warhammer total war 2)

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

StabMasterArson posted:

My favorite part is using my super-speed of having an SSD and killing scrubs with the game installed on an HDD as they spawn in.

botany posted:

:eyepop: oooh that's smart, i hadn't thought of that. i'm gonna do that.

Unless you specifically need Rubles, USD are easier to manage. Any guns I find in the raid generally get stripped down to their constituent parts and sold in peices to Peacekeeper, with anything he won't buy going to Skier. Make sure you empty the chamer (inspect and drag the round out) before selling to Peacekeeper, or he won't buy it.

Arms trafficking to swap your money between USD>Rubles or back does have a cost as you lose value on resale, but whatever. You can literally wreck poo poo with a stock AK + some bullets about as effectively as someone kitted to the gills if you play smart. I ran into shoreline with a Makarov the other day and came out with 3 AK's and 2 shotguns.

Akion fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 12, 2017

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

botany posted:

put it on an ssd. from clicking "ready" to shooting mans takes me 30 to 50 seconds, depending on the map. and the game is so ridiculously small in size that i actually have enough space (looking at you, warhammer total war 2)

It doesnt seem to matter much if I'm going to keep spawning surrounded by people with AKs pointed at my face

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Stop playing Factory then.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

The only level I've been on is customs cos my mission is there lol

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
You must have some really bad luck. Customs spawns are pretty spread out.

What quest is it?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Whatever the first one is, kill 3 scavs and bring their shotguns back or something. I always just spawn in a pile of bodies and then get promptly added to them

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I would strongly advise getting on the discord in OP. A 5-man can walk you through that quest in a single run.

The shotguns can come from wherever. Essentially you need to kill 3 scavs on Customs, then turn in 3 shotguns from wherever. I'd strip the shotguns down to the receivers and sell all but that if you need cash, then just turn in the receiver.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Re: Stash size

BSG has already been talking about a new system being implemented with the release of the open beta in December, called the Hideout. It'll be, I'm assuming, something like the tower in Destiny, a social space if you will. They have said that the ability to increase stash size will be implemented into a mechanic in the hideout. There's a pretty general consensus on the official EFT forums that this will be accomplished by buying stash space with rubles.

Also, the devs have already stated that there will be absolutely no loot crates or any bullshit like that in EFT, so good on them for taking a stand against predatory business practices.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zipperelli. posted:

EFT... taking a stand against predatory business practices.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Quick tip that can save your life: Tapping the Tilde (`) key bring up the console. If you scroll through it, you can see people extracting (it lists a bunch of items being destroyed).

Now, here's how that saves your life: Are you running geared and solo on customs/shoreline/woods/whatever, and know there is another group that is geared in the map that knows you are there too? Well, if you don't want to get murdered crossing the train bridge on customs by a well-laid ambush wherein you walk into a kill box, then wait till they extract.

This is the story of how my friend got Fort armor a Kivr, and an MPX on his 3rd run ever in EFT. Poor guy we lit up walked right into it.

Akion fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 13, 2017

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Double-posting cause BSG:

BSG Facebook posted:

Battlestate Games reported on upcoming update of pre-order packages that will be released with the nearest patch. Starting equipment and stash resources will be improved, pre-order packages description will become more detailed, but its price will remain the same. The stash size will grow on 30 slots for every pre-order version as well.
Thus, players are guaranteed to get these new stuff:
in Standard Edition:
- +100000 roubles
- AKS74U + 2 magazines
in Left Behind Edition - all new added stuff to Standard Edition and:
- АК74N + 2 magazines
- first aid kit Salewa
- grenade RGD5
- additional backpack (MBSS - 4x4 slots)
in Prepare for Escape Edition - all new added stuff to Left Behind Edition and Standard Edition and:
- SMG Vityaz or HK MP5 + 2 magazines (depending on selected faction)
- 1000 dollars
- Kiver helmet
- reflex sight Pilad
- first aid kit IFAK
- handguard to АК74 M1-B Ultimak
in Edge of Darkness Limited Edition - all new added stuff to the previous packages and:
- 3000 dollars
- first aid kit Grizzly
- Alpha tactical rig
- additional large field backpack TriZip
- injector with morphine х2
- sniper rifle SV98 + 1 magazine
- hybrid silencer Silencerco Hybrid 46
- adaptor hybrid silencer Silencerco Hybrid 46
- pistol case
- body armor 6B43 6A
- submachine gun MPX + 2 magazines
- handguard M4 LVOA-S
The next important stage in the project development will start with the Open Beta, which is scheduled for launch at the end of 2017. By that time, the game will be expanded with new game mechanics and improvements of existing ones, even more optimizations of graphics and network components, as well as additional game content, including new weapons and locations.
Learn more about the project testing plans and the estimated completion time frame, and pre-order on the official website of the project https://www.escapefromtarkov.com/preorder-page.
By following the official Twitter of the game, you will get the current announcements about in-game events and scheduled maintenance works https://twitter.com/bstategames.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Akion posted:

Double-posting cause BSG:

Wait, so are they saying in a roundabout way that the wipe isn't going to be until the open beta in December?

Orv posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I stand by my statement. Releasing a game in early access for the specific reason of getting community testing is a vast difference from paying $60 for the game, then $40 for DLC and having to pay another $50+ if you want any sort of chance of finishing the game this century because of a poo poo grind.

Yeah, early access games have a bad rep right now, but that doesn't make them predatory models.

Zipperelli. fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I suspect the next patch will be by the end of October. They've said Open Beta goal is EOY 2017.

So next patch = rest of shoreline + AKM + probably Peacekeeper quests and bug fixes.

Patch after = Interchange map + Hideout + Open Beta.