Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

I do wonder how much COVID messed up the chances of Green Arrow and the Canaries. Things just kind of ended up in the air when everything went on pause.

The way Green Arrow and the Canaries was treated as such a sure thing only to wind up being an ephemeral TV fart is just so strange. It was either a colossal miscalculation on the part of the Arrow showrunners, going all-in on something they thought was already in the bag and just misreading the CW brass's poker face something terrible, or yeah COVID absolutely crashed clean through it like a freight train through a pick up truck stuck in a rail crossing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
On top of what nine-gear crow mentioned, covid filming protocols also made it more difficult, expensive, and restrictive to film things especially with anything like a crowd scene or what have you. And generally put extra weight on all levels of production. None of that is unique to the Arrowverse shows, but it still all adds up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Also I don't know if there was ever a plan for any sort of Green Lantern show in the Arrowverse, but HBO Max announcing their own basically put the kibosh on any sort of mention of them or chance of making Diggle show up as one in a cameo on one show or another. The Arrowverse has been getting kneecapped for a while but COVID was definitely the nail in the coffin that hit at just the right time to gently caress everything right up.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The DC CW crew has proved me wrong before, but Green Arrow and the Canaries felt like it was going to be a huge flop to me.

The backdoor pilot was waayyy too reliant on all the fuckery was coming out of crisis. Just being set in the future wasn't enough for them. It was a future that was somehow experiencing ripples from a completely different future! A future that was exhaustingly dour when it was presented in the Arrow flash-fowards.

Why couldn't they have done the simple thing and make the spinoff based in the present with Mia being transported into the past for REASONS and gone from there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

nine-gear crow posted:

other Arrowverse spin-off/replacement shows getting smothered in their crib too like Painkiller.
Absolutely no loss there.

oh jay posted:

The DC CW crew has proved me wrong before, but Green Arrow and the Canaries felt like it was going to be a huge flop to me.
Yeah, I never saw the appeal.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wild Dogs bad wig killed the spin off

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WhyteRyce posted:

Wild Dogs bad wig killed the spin off

But the Arrowverse was the land of bad TV wigs! They put Neal McDonough in so many of them too :negative:

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Used to have fun flipping between Arrow, The Americans, and Key & Peele for the tonal whiplash wiglash over the disparity in hairpiece quality.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
darkly hilarious that the first ever comic based on the show came out today

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Neat that it featured most of the ex Legends. Especially funny that the only characteristic Carter has is his hatred for Savage.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I'm gonna miss this dead gay show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So which one is blondie and which one is hot pants?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
One of things that really made it a shared universe was characters from one show popping up in the other just to help. Like Cisco showing up in the Arrow Cave or Felicity helping out in the Cortex or GA calling in Flash to rescue his friends or showing up to help Flash and Firestorm fight Thawne. It didn't always need to big crossover events to help demonstrate the shared universe aspect. Even Supergirl's finale would have been a decent time for a couple of Legends or Killer Frost to show up to help.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Flash getting Supergirl ice cream was such an innocent time.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

ruddiger posted:

Flash getting Supergirl ice cream was such an innocent time.

When all the arrowverse shows were ok -to-good

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXmq7YcvfaI

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

V-Men posted:

One of things that really made it a shared universe was characters from one show popping up in the other just to help. Like Cisco showing up in the Arrow Cave or Felicity helping out in the Cortex or GA calling in Flash to rescue his friends or showing up to help Flash and Firestorm fight Thawne. It didn't always need to big crossover events to help demonstrate the shared universe aspect. Even Supergirl's finale would have been a decent time for a couple of Legends or Killer Frost to show up to help.

Don’t forget Ray Palmer courteously giving Arrow some nanites.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just remembered that there is another Arrowverse show still in development, "Justice U" where Diggle is going to be training new heroes.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I just remembered that there is another Arrowverse show still in development, "Justice U" where Diggle is going to be training new heroes.

Oh God, what heroes in training are they going to pull for this probable dumpster fire??

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Oh god, that sounds miserable. Like, gently caress whatever you think about the recent output of these shows or the idea of GA&tC, they sound infinitely better than that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume it will be like latter day Legends where they just kind of do their own things that are barely based on established characters.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What did Dig do to deserve this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a lot of lovely DC characters they can use.

Like Xenobrood or the Dan Jurgens Teen Titans.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I think it's still in the pre-pilot stage so it's still on the unlikely side than the likely side.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Good. First time I've rooted for a show to get killed pre-production instead of crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rewatching Happy Endings. I wish Nate brought that Hip Hop Santa back to the wave rider

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Apparently someone or a group of someone's bought a billboard in Manhattan.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Spandex_...00%2Fframe.html

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
They should at least let them finish the series with a TV movie, ideally on hbo max.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Apparently someone or a group of someone's bought a billboard in Manhattan.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Spandex_...00%2Fframe.html

Well, that's tragic.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/MattMitovich/status/1525537353539936256?s=19

JohnnyQPublic
May 5, 2022
I'm sad but not surprised that that LOT was canceled. Out of all the Arrowverse shows lately this was by far my favorite. It was one of the few shows that never took itself too seriously. It looks CW is going all in on prequel shows with the Prequel for Supernatural and Walker on the books. I can see the fascination with a Supernatural prequel but do we really need a Walker prequel?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

JohnnyQPublic posted:

I'm sad but not surprised that that LOT was canceled. Out of all the Arrowverse shows lately this was by far my favorite. It was one of the few shows that never took itself too seriously. It looks CW is going all in on prequel shows with the Prequel for Supernatural and Walker on the books. I can see the fascination with a Supernatural prequel but do we really need a Walker prequel?

Someone at the CW has tried desperately to make Kat McNamara a star.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

She's got an exec at gunpoint going "you motherfuckers promised me a show and by God I will get one" :argh:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Lucy Hale gave up after 2 failed shows. How many more heartbreaks can Katherine withstand?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

JohnnyQPublic posted:

I can see the fascination with a Supernatural prequel but do we really need a Walker prequel?
Is anyone even watching Walker? I tried and it was bad.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I joked about thinking Canaries was in the bag because McNamara was supposed to be a hot commodity but I guess my feeble small brain didn’t anticipate CW just throwing her on a different garbage show

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Is anyone even watching Walker? I tried and it was bad.

It's one of the only shows they didn't axe so clearly someone out there is. Maybe the Supernatural fans who kept that show on the air for 15 drat years decided they're just gonna watch anything Jared Padalecki does.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Medullah posted:

She was good on Shadowhunters. Yes, I watched that nonsense and I loved it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TwoPair posted:

It's one of the only shows they didn't axe so clearly someone out there is. Maybe the Supernatural fans who kept that show on the air for 15 drat years decided they're just gonna watch anything Jared Padalecki does.

It took basically COVID to kill Supernatural in the first place, so there might be some credence to that theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

JohnnyQPublic posted:

I'm sad but not surprised that that LOT was canceled. Out of all the Arrowverse shows lately this was by far my favorite. It was one of the few shows that never took itself too seriously.
Legends was also better-written in the serious parts, outside of that first season. There's never any character writing as dumb as you see on the Flash.