Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly amazed there hasn't been a new soldier of fortune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Liquid Drink posted:

Dungeon Keeper.... ultima.... gently caress
And Myth. Holy crap was I bad at that game but I loved it so much.

I added Douglas J. Morgan because most 80's kids had a Commodore 64 but I had a TRS-80 with probably not even a hundredth of the library, but somehow this loving Sorcerer made a first person, real-time RPG with sound effects to help locate which monsters were closer when they weren't being sneaky which haunt my dreams to this day, Infocom-inspired text commands in a five-level labyrinth. The game came out in 1982 and was eight kilobytes in size. Dungeons of Daggorath, Color Baseball and Rogue (dived deep, but never beat it) defined my childhood. Mr. Morgan hasn't really made any other games I know of and has been too busy being an executive for decades to do so.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it would be cool to have a light RPG based game where a DM character introduces challenges, monsters, and story beats for a group of players. i think something like this existed, but it was really just moving sprites around a stage.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Bell_ posted:

And Myth. Holy crap was I bad at that game but I loved it so much.

I added Douglas J. Morgan because most 80's kids had a Commodore 64 but I had a TRS-80 with probably not even a hundredth of the library, but somehow this loving Sorcerer made a first person, real-time RPG with sound effects to help locate which monsters were closer when they weren't being sneaky which haunt my dreams to this day, Infocom-inspired text commands in a five-level labyrinth. The game came out in 1982 and was eight kilobytes in size. Dungeons of Daggorath, Color Baseball and Rogue (dived deep, but never beat it) defined my childhood. Mr. Morgan hasn't really made any other games I know of and has been too busy being an executive for decades to do so.

That’s badass

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

it would be cool to have a light RPG based game where a DM character introduces challenges, monsters, and story beats for a group of players. i think something like this existed, but it was really just moving sprites around a stage.

The new divinity has a DM mode I've heard really good things abour

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Honestly amazed there hasn't been a new soldier of fortune

sometimes I wonder about the alternate timeline where everyone went for exploding bodies instead of ragdolls

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

Sounds like Card Hunters

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's mostly phil spector's idea, but i've always liked the one city block idea, where you set an RPG in a comparatively small, but super detailed and well simulated area.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Lucas arts producer: we have an exciting line up of star wars games, from a first/3rd person action adventure where you play as a student Jedi, to a fast-paced space combat sim, and a party-based RPG with turn based combat...

Disney executive: 🤔But what if....... they were all one game???

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

it's mostly phil spector's idea, but i've always liked the one city block idea, where you set an RPG in a comparatively small, but super detailed and well simulated area.
Um... did you mean warren

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

A sequel or spiritual sequel to Alpha Protocol in the Fox engine

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Um... did you mean warren

lol, yeah

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's cool to imagine phil spector's dream game, though

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

its pretty much an open world game where theres so many low quality mechanics going on at once it seems awesome

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

trying to jack off posted:

its pretty much an open world game where theres so many low quality mechanics going on at once it seems awesome

fitting that he works for rockstar

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Yes! Yes!!!

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

fitting that he works for rockstar

heh

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

I've been hoping more games would do this ever since Hitman.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

sector_corrector posted:

Hatred

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

:pray:

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I really just want Westwood back

yah

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I just woke up and I still have this dream seared into my mind of a FFT remake with way better cutscenes than the PSP one, updated graphics AND an alternate story where I could recruit the Knights Templar and other enemy NPCs :negative:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Metal Gear Solid 3 remade in Metal Gear Solid V's engine.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Metal Gear Solid 3 remade in Metal Gear Solid V's engine.

while were at it, lets get someone to recreate the mona lisa in ms paint?? tear down the statue of liberty and rebuild it in minecraft? jesus loving christ................

Soral
May 30, 2009

i havent read the rhread but has anyone said super mario[ yet

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

Consortium is kind of like this, it's super detailed and all set on one small ship. unfortunately it's completely insane and kind of sucks but it's compelling at least

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Consortium is kind of like this, it's super detailed and all set on one small ship. unfortunately it's completely insane and kind of sucks but it's compelling at least

this seems kind of cool, but i don't know that i'd have the patience to play it

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

A game like Theme Hospital except your Josef Mengele from the famous Holocaust

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
a game where you're in some hacky FPS open world action RPG, but the main meat of the game is finding and exploiting console commands to shape the world around you instead of loot and grind.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

a game where you're in some hacky FPS open world action RPG, but the main meat of the game is finding and exploiting console commands to shape the world around you instead of loot and grind.

This is how real life works for rich people

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

vaginal facsimile posted:

A game like Theme Hospital except your Sanchez from the famous Darkplace

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

sector_corrector posted:

this seems kind of cool, but i don't know that i'd have the patience to play it

There's a kickstarter backed sequel called Consortium: The Tower that just got a demo released this weekend, check it out . Seems more polished than the first one

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Bump

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I've always wanted an open world rpg where you can have or adopt a kid and then play as your kid after you die or get wounded. Not really as an predetermined plot point but something you could choose to do.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I've always wanted an open world rpg where you can have or adopt a kid and then play as your kid after you die or get wounded. Not really as an predetermined plot point but something you could choose to do.

its called a roguelike, just use your imagination friend

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

its called a roguelike, just use your imagination friend

I want a persistent world, basically I want whatever game Dwarf Fortress will be in another decade

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Romancing SaGa 2 might have done this too.

And I think Broken Chalice was supposed to as well, but I could only play so much of that without getting bored.

(You could argue that neither are open world and I won't fight it)

Faerie Tale Adventure for the Amiga would have qualified, if it were successors instead of three brothers.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Bell_ posted:

Romancing SaGa 2 might have done this too.

And I think Broken Chalice was supposed to as well, but I could only play so much of that without getting bored.

(You could argue that neither are open world and I won't fight it)

Faerie Tale Adventure for the Amiga would have qualified, if it were successors instead of three brothers.

Saga 2 did. Dragon quest 5 kinda too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was gonna mention DQV yeah. One of my favorite video game narratives ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

A MGS game that fills the story of the diamond dogs between ground zeroes and phantom pain where you have to rebuild your army. It wouldn't be a stealth game but a squad based strategy game mostly like xcom but a bit more dynamic. Turn based but in between turns the soldiers will still shoot from cover and suppress and stuff, a little like company of heroes. Key characters (like miller or ocelot) would be playable based on the missions and would have special abilities, but getting them critically injured or killed would be game over.

You would kinda pick up contracts like you did side ops in 5 if anyone paid attention to how those were written. The difference would be that they would be linear in terms of story and would have real world conflicts attached. Lots of history to exploit there; Iran-Iraq war, Lebanese civil war, Ugandan civil war, and even the early stages of the conflicts depicted in 5 to tie it all in. Get cool cutscenes and a soundtrack of soft rock and earlier new wave stuff and it would be p deece.

my morning jackass fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 30, 2017

• Locked thread