Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Some other Mizzou fan around here chastised me for being pissed that Odom couldn't get along with Kuligowski and basically ran him off back when that happened. Or maybe the story was Kul wanted to be promoted to DC or something. Anyway it was their theory that Odom is more important than Coah Kul.

Which makes sense in a vacuum, I mean you need to let the HC run the program or you should never have hired him more than you need to keep the DL coach happy.

But less than 2 years later Missouri is more awful than they've ever been on defense since at least the 80s, Barry Odom is marking time until he's fired, and Kuligowski is predictably absolutely owning things as usual.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Where is the Apple Cup this year?

At Washington, I looked it up wondering if maybe Wazzu would have a chance at gameday but nope. Their only other even slightly possible gameday game would be against Stanford, but #1 Stanford cannot lose before that game and #2 the rest of the games that week would probably need to kinda suck.

They might have had a shot with Colorado if they were goodish again this year but they just dropped three straight so that isn't happening.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

RumbleFish posted:

Good poo poo, Cocks.

Saw a stat earlier that you'll probably enjoy, this isn't up to date but at some point in the second quarter today Missouri had been outscored 130-20 since they led South Carolina 10-0.

Missouri was likely bad anyway, but if there was a turning point where the season absolutely went to poo poo it's when they decided to kick to Deebo.

Oh poo poo gently caress me, I'd completely spaced on Deebo breaking his leg, so that probably isn't a stat you'd like :(

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 8, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

RumbleFish posted:

This kind of makes me sad actually, because I miss Deebo.

Yeah I actually just now was editing that post because I completely spaced on that. That injury sucks :(

Do you know if he has a shot at a medical redshirt? Although he might not stay long enough to use it anyway I guess.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Haha, this is not the difference in the game at all by any means and it's Missouri's fault for calling a play that was easily tackled in bounds for no meaningful gain but check out the umpire here:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/916869320612904960

Smart move by that UK guy if he casually hit the ball on purpose, it seems unlikely that Moore would have dropped it on his own, or at least dropped it in a fashion where it rolled all the way over there.

e: Not sure why that isn't embedding.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I lust for Big 12 death.

This just confuses me, it isn't like the Big 12 is holding Texas hostage.

Well they kind of are with the grant of rights I suppose, but that only happened because Texas decided they wanted the Big 12 to continue existing enough to sign it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sab0921 posted:

Fans have different opinions than administrators. Most fans think LHN is stupid and never watch it, but the admin loves the $30MM we get every year. The admin does not want to schedule A&M as an OOC game, the fans all want it. The fans think the Big XII sucks and would much rather be in the Pac-12, but the admin likes the Big XII because it allows them to collect their money from LHN.

I can appreciate that, but knowing that the Longhorn Network isn't going away until ESPN can get out of it (at which point ESPN will run away screaming and laughing), and knowing that it's a complete non-starter for the Pac-12 as far as joining them...shouldn't you guys want the Big 12 to survive as the most viable conference it can be in the meantime?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ur in my world now posted:

People are starting the "Well, Mizzou looked pretty good yesterday. Maybe Odom deserves a third season???" poo poo already. Hopefully it gets quashed when we lose to UConn or Idaho (or both).

If you're talking about Bill C's column this is bolded in the middle of it:

quote:

This is not a post intended to pump sunshine, by the way. You could argue that this is almost the worst-case scenario.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--Or that if you want to be 'reasonable' I suppose

all-Rush mixtape posted:

How the heck is Utah still ranked?

Played too late and people already had their rankings done and were too lazy to change them?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

quote:

ALSO RECEIVING VOTES: Georgia Tech, West Virginia, Louisville, Utah, LSU, Florida, Kentucky, Iowa State, Texas A&M, Memphis

:lol:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Tennessee has announced it has benched Quentin Dormady, and redshirt freshman Jarrett Guarantano will start against South Carolina.

It won't make any difference, but this is a good QB name tool team.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Scarf posted:

I'm not gonna create a thread for it, but Troy is looking lovely against S. Bama

Letdown game?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

We Gators may be gigantic downer babies, but you won't see any of us bragging about losing 'with dignity.'

Woof.

To be honest I'm kind of proud of Missouri losing by an acceptable score last week, so I guess I don't have any place throwing stones in this argument.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

Toretta and Crouch are the most egregious in my lifetime. Maaaaaybe Troy Smith, but he did have a pretty big year before UF eviscerated him.

Crouch got a career achievement award for being okish to good on a very good team for 4 years because Grossman was just a sophomore really. Thankfully I think we've moved past the "no freshmen or sophomores can win the Heisman" but it was a real thing forever.

There's no doubt in my mind if Grossman was a junior that year he would have won.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

euphronius posted:

What happened to crouch in the NFL. Did he get hurt or just suck

He loving gave up.

No he actually just really quit because he was so depressed they wouldn't play him at quarterback after a few weeks playing receiver in training camp/preseason. The guy who never passed for more than *checks* 1510 yards in a year in college and had a 51.5% completion rate and had a paltry 29/25 TD/INT was stunned that he wasn't handed an NFL quarterback job.

e: He tried to come back later on a couple of times, but yeah he sucked when he did. So a combination of sucking and quitting.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 12, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

euphronius posted:

Oh I think I was thinking of Couch not Crouch

Oh, Couch just got Brownsed. And expansion Brownsed when they really didn't have anything to put around him. In another world he might have been something.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

This might be your worst post yet :mad:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sab0921 posted:

The old Big XII was cool as gently caress :(

You really have no one to blame but yourself here.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

So the SEC is a two team conference?

:thunk:

Three teams including Auburn until proven differently.

Auburn losing to LSU who just lost to Troy would prove that pretty well, but that has to happen first.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sab0921 posted:

I still don't accept the "Texas is at fault for everything" reasoning for the Big XII falling apart. There were plenty of stupid actions by petty men that led to its disintegration.

The team that killed the SWC killed the Big 12.

Honestly though no one who left had any problems with OU or whoever, everyone thought Texas was destabilizing the conference. Mainly because they were. And will again in a few years.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sab0921 posted:

Texas also didn't kill the SWC. I don't want to rehash this for the 100th time, but the Longhorn Network isn't the reason the conference fell apart, it fell apart because the members who left didn't want to be a part of it anymore (and had been that way for a long time pre-dating LHN).

There was a reason those teams were unhappy earlier, and that reason was mostly Texas. Yes it didn't start with the LHN, and no it didn't really start anywhere other than Texas.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

Unis look less-awful in these pics but @gatorsfb appears to have taken acid

Less awful is...damning with very faint praise. And I'm not sure if it's actually true.

Who do they get to do these shoots by the way? First off is it a model or some actual player who's hanging out with the gator. And how do you go about booking a live alligator (I assume, since it's walking in one pick) to do a photo shoot?

I'm imagining them just dragging a likely looking one out of a swamp and carting it over to, er, the Swamp. But I'm sure that's not how it works.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 12, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Fifty Three posted:

It has teeth sticking up from the bottom, though- doesn't that mean it's a crocodile? :confused:

It's all about the snout isn't it? Like crocs have thinner jaws and gators have wider ones like that?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sab0921 posted:

I guess - as a Mizzou fan, explain what it is that the Texas admin did that made Mizzou want to leave the conference - pre LHN, because as you said, this apparently has little to do with LHN.

Well Mizzou is possibly a bad example since we'd been trying to get into the Big 10 forever for whatever reason. But never super seriously until we wanted to get away from you. The conference was rock solid for, what, 60 or 80 years? Big 6 to Big 8 included I guess.

The expansion happened and it screwed everything up. Texas wanted a bigger piece of the pie and got it. They were unwilling to even think about some equal sharing thing, and yes, the other schools were dumb to let that happen.

I guess...explain to me how it's anyone's fault other than Texas desperately making sure they got all the money? Well other than being dumb and agreeing to poo poo Texas wanted? And yes, all the other schools were dumb and/or desperate. So are the other schools still in the Big 12 other than OU for keeping the charade up.

Inviting Texas to the conference was ultimately self defeating, even though it brought in some early money.

To put it shortly, thank loving god my school, as lovely as it is in sports, is no longer in a conference with Texas.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

tactlessbastard posted:

Arkansas killed the SWC.

Why did they do that?

To get away from Texas.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sab0921 posted:

You seem real mad. Hook Em'

:rolleyes:

quote:

Edit: everyone left not because they were mad at Texas, but because they got more money elsewhere. Done and done.

Once again, that was easy to do because of Texas.

Like I asked you why this was anyone's fault other than your school. You just said there were a lot of assholes involved. Which, sure, I guess that's a true statement. It's just not one that makes an argument in any fashion.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

buddhanc posted:

Okay it's all our fault, now we can stop the bitter rehashing and focus on how awesome it is that Iowa state beat OU.

Buddhanc you're ok. I'm sorry that I hope your team is beaten by 50 now that OU is poison to the playoffs committee.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Randaconda posted:

Blaming it on Texas is a bit hosed up when Aggy and Nebraska were just as greedy as Texas. They sure didn't have a problem with getting more money that Iowa State and Tech.

Do you blame the most self-entitled jerk in the room (who by the way just showed up a few minutes ago after everyone was getting along forever just fine), or do you blame the little jerks?

I think the bigger jerk deserves the bulk of the blame. The little guys are just idiots who didn't see exactly what was going to happen.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Um, sure. That's one incredibly wrongheaded way to look at it there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

If you think there's no difference between Nebraska and Texas in this scenario other than Nebraska being very dumb and Texas being very manipulative you're beyond convincing. So :allears: back at ya.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sab0921 posted:

I'm saying it's not Texas' fault because everyone was just chasing money. Texas didn't cause the Big 10 to offer Nebraska a much larger payday or cause the SEC to to have a huge TV contract.

If Nebraska or Mizzou or A&M had the option of making more money in the Big 12, they would have stayed regardless of how mean big bad Texas was. Also - it's not Texas' fault that the Big 12 never had the mass media markets that would pay like the the other conferences. Houston, DFW and Manhattan....Kansas isn't a recipe for a lot of revenue from cable subscribers.

Interesting that the Big 10 who does nothing but chase media markets thought that Omaha, Nebraska was worth adding. And the Pac 12 was all over Boulder, Colorado. And the SEC thought the St Louis & KC markets were worth their time.

The Big 12 didn't get a big tv deal when everyone else did because Texas didn't care about anyone else in the conference (other than slightly OU, since they'd like to keep playing OU) and wasn't willing to consider the option. Once one or two of either the grant of rights runs out or ESPN can drop the LHN Texas will 100% be shopping themselves around again or looking to screw their pet conference even more to keep it alive.

You keep calling me mad, I'm not as mad as you want me to be. I just see no reason to let a Texas homer get away with re-writing history. The Big 8 would have died anyway, I can agree with that. The Big 12 as originally composed died directly because of Texas, and teams not wanting to put up with Texas.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

Holy poo poo you guys

I prefer the old school version.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Neil Armbong posted:

A reasonable take from General Dog I can agree with.

Acting like Texas was the sole reason everything went down when we, like every other conference, are/were just a pack of assholes is hilarious.

If y'all want to say you weren't the only reason I can agree with that. When you act like you weren't the main reason is where I have problems.

Also you're reduced to agreeing with General Dog, so...yeah. There's that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Thank god you posted this because I lost the original. It's my only worthwhile contribution to the internet.

That was you? I knew it came from here somewhere, it's very good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Not the best look but Wheez probably would have approved of drunken posts calling him out.

• Locked thread