Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
In this thread, let's talk about proportional representation, why it's superior to the alternative, and the ways it could be achieved in the USA. Also, we can also talk about various other types of electoral reform, like how to fix gerrymandering, what is "fair redistricting", and so on.

Why do we need electoral reform?

Basically, there's a big problem with the USA's "operating system". The First Past the Post system was essentially something the founders copied from the existing English model, and it virtually guarantees that a two party system evolves and that whoever we pick to represent us -- be that the President, Congress or local representatives -- is the choice that the fewest people actually like. It encourages strategic voting, to deny other people their candidate, and for people to choose "the lesser of two evils" rather than going with what they truly believe.

For a great explanation of what this is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7tWHJfhiyo

(Actually CGP Grey's videos on this subject are all really interesting and worth a watch)

Political scientists and mathematicians have gotten together and devised a number of algorithms that fix this problem. So far, the best solution, invented in the mid 19th century, and put into place in many European parliaments, is proportional representation. This is something we desperately need here in the USA; we can't keep running a 21st century society on an outdated operating system.

What is Proportional Representation?

I'll let this political scientist explain:

quote:

What is "proportional representation" and why do we need this reform?

Douglas J. Amy
Mount Holyoke College

Americans continue to be disillusioned with politics. Cynicism about candidates and parties runs high and voter turnout is abysmally low. A number of proposals designed to revitalize American elections have been made, including term limits and campaign finance reform. But a new reform is also beginning to get some attention: replacing our present single-member district, winner-take-all election system with proportional representation (PR) elections. Political commentators writing in The Washington Post, The New Republic, The New Yorker, The Christian Science Monitor and USA Today have endorsed this reform. Grassroots groups in several states are now organizing to bring proportional representation to local elections. Leaders of most alternative parties, including the Libertarians, the Greens, and the New Party, are also pushing for a change to PR. And many in the voting rights community, including Harvard Law professor Lani Guinier, have concluded that proportional representation would be the best way to give minority voters fair representation.

So why all this sudden interest in proportional representation? What exactly is PR, how does it work, and what are its advantages over our present system? Describing how it works is simple. Proportional representation systems come in several varieties, but they all share two basic characteristics. First, they use multi-member districts. Instead of electing one member of the legislature in each small district, PR uses much larger districts that elect several members at once, say five or ten. Second, which candidates win the seats in these multi-member districts is determined by the proportion of votes a party receives. If we have a ten-member PR district in which the Democratic candidates win 50% of the vote, they would receive five of those ten seats. With 30% of the vote, the Republicans would get three seats. And if a third party received the other 20% of the votes, it would get the remaining two seats. (For more information on the various types of PR systems, see How Does PR Work?.)

At first glance, this voting process might seem a bit strange to many Americans. We are used to our single-member district system, in which we elect one candidate in each legislative district, with the winner being the candidate with the most votes. But while we view this winner-take-all system as "normal," in reality our approach to elections is increasingly at odds with the rest of the world. The vast majority of Western democracies see American-style elections as outmoded and unfair and have rejected them in favor of proportional representation. Most of Western Europe uses PR and a large majority of the emerging democracies of Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union have chosen PR over our form of elections. The United States, Canada, and Great Britain are the only Western democracies that continue to cling to winner-take-all arrangements.

Is there any organization that is supporting this?

Yes! Currently Fairvote.org is the leader in promoting this reform. There's a lot of other helpful and enlightening articles on the site that go into depth explaining how proportional representation works, and how it could be implemented.

Problems

There's a few problems that I'd like to throw open the floor to discuss:

• How do you convince the currently-existing parties, within the current system, to implement a system that is to their disadvantage?
  • How do you teach ordinary Americans how this concept works?
  • We must update our legislature to ensure that it's more representative, because the country has more than 300 million people. How many more representatives do we need? How do we make the legislative process more efficient when there will be ten, or even a hundred times as many legislators?

News

I was really excited when the ballot initiative in Maine to try to enact proportional representation passed. However, there's been an unfortunate, though not unpredictable, setback:

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/05/23/maine-high-court-says-ranked-choice-voting-is-unconstitutional/

quote:

Maine’s highest court rules ranked-choice voting is unconstitutional

The advisory opinion means lawmakers must start the process of amending the Constitution to allow the voter-approved law or repeal it, which is more likely.

AUGUSTA — Maine’s highest court concluded Tuesday that the nation’s first statewide ranked-choice voting system violates the Maine Constitution even though it was approved by the state’s voters in a referendum in November.

In a unanimous advisory opinion, the seven justices on the Maine Supreme Judicial Court acknowledged the validity of citizen-initiative ballot questions but noted that even citizen-enacted laws can be unconstitutional.

----------------------------

I am by no means an expert on political science, or voting systems, just someone who's interested in this subject and wants to discuss and see what other people think about it! Let's talk about this effort. Is it a pie-in-the-sky dream that will never happen? What do you think? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

Comedy answer: :thermidor:

Nothing is going to change until/unless Democrats start winning in waves as the GOP's whole strategy now is legislatively Jim Crowing the gently caress out of the electorate so that they don't get voted out.

I definitely think that the big blue wave that may or may not appear in 2018 and 2020 will be helpful to steering the country in a much better direction. That being said, though, do you think the Democrats would be "okay" with instituting proportional representation once in power? I mean, there's no real alternative but to go with that, of course, but I'm just wondering, like, what sort of arguments we could put forth to convince Democrats on the fence that a multi-winner / proportional system would be in their favor? Also, how would we explain it to the average voter?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Communist Zombie posted:

Would more extensive reforms than PR and removing FPTP be fine for this thread? Because I have a whole slate of ideas on how to fix elections, including some out there ideas.

:justpost:

I mean... as long as it's not, like, "Full communism now". Which, I mean, is obvious, but not real helpful!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

That's a really great point that you've brought up there, and was something I wondered along those lines as well -- would a PR Congress with ruling coalitions be, in the end, all that different from "Big Tent" party politics? Democrats and Republicans encompass a whole huge wide range of people all along the political spectrum, from left to right and authoritarian to libertarian (though probably no authoritarian leftists!) Just like coalition governments, even if the Democrats or Republicans win the House and Senate, they end up having to do plenty of horse-trading within the party to govern -- just look at the existence of the various caucuses like the Freedom Caucus or the Tea Party.

I'm not sure about this myself!

On another note, I read this interesting Daily Kos article.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2015/8/31/1416318/-What-if-the-US-had-a-parliament-with-proportional-representation

It gives some breakdowns on a hypothetical what-if scenario. Pretty interesting stuff!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Communist Zombie posted:

Heres my wide ranging slate of reforms which range from realistic to fantastical. And i would appreciate explanations for why my more radical reforms are actually bad ideas.

I think I'd be down for everything you posted except for the 16 year old voting and the none of the above thing. Our brains -- our logic centers -- are not even fully developed until around 25 or so, so a 16 year old voting would just be getting a completely uninformed vote. Of course, even with adult brains, you get tons of stupid people wasting their votes with throwaway votes, so I guess it wouldn't change things significantly.

California already has a couple of these too, like mail-in ballots, and being able to drop off mail in ballots at polling places on the day of. Mail-in ballots should just be standard everywhere. I can't remember the last time I actually voted in an in-person polling place.

ShadowHawk posted:

These sort of incentives completely change under PR systems. Winning the a gerrymandered primary election no longer becomes the most important thing for securing a seat.

Incidentally, this brings up the issue of gerrymandering, which is a separate one from PR. It's also a worthy electoral reform goal and there's a lot of ways to handle redistricting that we can discuss too!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

maskenfreiheit posted:

it might not be ethical to let some populations (eg: rural poor) vote. they're addled by opiates and failing schools, unable to give informed consent. we may need to move to a more parlimentary type system where you vote in a PM whose party elects other people who then go make decisions for the poors

:frogon:

Insanely classist tirades aside, so, actually the urban-rural divide is really kind of a myth. Regions matter more -- certain regions whether they be urban and rich or rural and poor tend to vote reliably for one side or another. Proportional representation would more fairly represent everyone, the true diversity of a country, without the need to resort to something as terrifying as mass disenfranchisement based on one's geographic location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Clochette posted:

Pretty sure they were mocking your opposition to letting 16+ year olds vote due to their brains not being properly functioning yet.

I don't see how that's a fair comparison. I mean, statutory rape laws exist because teenage children can't consent or make decisions informed at adult levels. 16 year old children can't legally serve on juries, or in the army, or work full-time. Voting should work the same way. It's that or lower the age of majority for everything to 16. 16 year olds should absolutely get the chance to participate in government in other ways, like through internships at the local level, volunteering, student government, and so on, but I am not sold on voting.

• Locked thread