Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nessin
Feb 7, 2010

evilweasel posted:

Congress has the power to mandate the voting method for senate and house seats, including the power to ban single-district winner-take-all elections, under Article I, Section 4, which is a power that has been nearly forgotten but is extremely powerful and gives a basis for a lot of these proposals. Congress has the power, for example, to ban gerrymandering by states but has not done so for decades.

That's a very broad interpretation of the what constitutes power to regulate elections vice interfering with time, place, and manner. I think if you were to go to a court, especially the current Supreme Court, you'd find a drastically different interpretation would hold. I agree on the gerrymandering but as to a voting method or direct interference with the process? I doubt that would hold up even in a polar opposite court to what we've got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread