Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Communist Zombie posted:

Heres my wide ranging slate of reforms which range from realistic to fantastical. And i would appreciate explanations for why my more radical reforms are actually bad ideas.

Election Reforms
[*]Election day is universal paid day off: Making a (paid) day off means people are more likely to go out and vote since work wont prevent them from going, making it paid is just an extra touch to help the poor. For jobs that cannot have all have a day off, like emergency services, or for some other reason still have to go work then the employer must give all employees working on election day a paid day off of the employees choosing during early voting. And since a lot of minimum wage jobs are 'on call' or otherwise have schedules that change weekly there would be some sort of formula to determine how much they would have worked.

I think it might be easier if we had an election three day weekend rather than a single election day, with all employees needing to have at least one of the election days off. Maybe businesses could also be forced to give poll locations and voting hours to their employees ahead of the voting weekend. I don't know much of anything about election organizing, so if there's any reasons we couldn't hold elections over multiple days I'd like to know about them.

e: oh nooooo the new newbie av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread