Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Doki Doki Literature Club!

quote:

Hi, Monika here!
Welcome to the Literature Club! It's always been a dream of mine to make something special out of the things I love. Now that you're a club member, you can help me make that dream come true in this cute game!

Every day is full of chit-chat and fun activities with all of my adorable and unique club members:

Sayori, the youthful bundle of sunshine who values happiness the most;
Natsuki, the deceivingly cute girl who packs an assertive punch;
Yuri, the timid and mysterious one who finds comfort in the world of books;
...And, of course, Monika, the leader of the club! That's me!

I'm super excited for you to make friends with everyone and help the Literature Club become a more intimate place for all my members. But I can tell already that you're a sweetheart—will you promise to spend the most time with me? ♥

This game is not suitable for children
or those who are easily disturbed.

This game is free, roughly 2-4 hours long, and has some intense twists! Please enjoy it and talk about it here!

:siren: MARK ALL SPOILERS :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I trash anime a lot, and you guys are telling me this is a wild motherfucker of a ride. This better be good

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I trash anime a lot, and you guys are telling me this is a wild motherfucker of a ride. This better be good

:getin:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Spoilers aside, this game has a really good depiction of anxiety and depression. The writing is incredibly strong, even with the generic setup. I think I would've wound up liking it before it went, well. You'll see. Enjoy!

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
This game is special. End-game spoilers: I've played many horror games and few really messed with me like this one. I thought the game'd be about romancing up all the girls and then something haha-scary would happen at the end, so I started with Sayori first. When she revealed she was suffering from depression... it was heavy for some reason. I guess the writing really sold it. But when she hung herself later, I was legit unsettled. I couldn't fall asleep after that one. Then it got worse.

I like to say that any VN that has: a) school life; b) harem; c) both - is almost always guaranteed to suck. This game is the exception to this rule.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Why would you date Sayori first when Yuri is right there

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

My first thought was "She's the childhood friend,right? She's probably the canon route." Then THAT happened

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 8, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

StrixNebulosa posted:

What the heck are both of you talking about? There's only one right choice, and that's Just Monika.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

StrixNebulosa posted:

I started from the top.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

I just wanted to ask-does this game have any gore? I got a little worried when Yuri mentioned she likes knives.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

VolticSurge posted:

I just wanted to ask-does this game have any gore? I got a little worried when Yuri mentioned she likes knives.

If you mean body parts flying everywhere, then no. Somehow I think that'd would have been better in retrospect.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Playing it now and some of this music is a little Grant Kirkhope-y. Which is a good thing. Specifically this song when two of the girls are arguing. I would have stopped playing already (just done the first poems) if I didn't know something was going to happen eventually though, there have been a couple of good jokes but the story is not my thing at all... yet.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 8, 2017

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
can you gently caress them

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

post-game spoilers

If you open the character files in a text editor like notepad++ or whatever and then copy/paste in a decoder, there's some stuff. Use something like this to do it.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Blattdorf posted:

If you mean body parts flying everywhere, then no. Somehow I think that'd would have been better in retrospect.

:ohdear: How graphic is it? Comical amounts of blood, or more realistic?

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

:ohdear: How graphic is it? Comical amounts of blood, or more realistic?

more realistic and it's sort of graphic but not super explicit

non-related near end-game stuff

I really like how you resolve the Monika room situation. Love when games do things you can only do in games as part of their narratives. It's something games don't ever do enough of and that's one of the main reasons so many have such mediocre storytelling and presentation.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 8, 2017

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Sivek posted:

more realistic

I can probably stomach it. Comical buckets of blood sometimes get me queasy. I mean, I'll probably still be horrified, but at least I won't feel sick to my stomach.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
What really impresses me is that this game just came out of nowhere, from a guy who worked on Project M for Super Smash Bros. Brawl of all things, and somehow it's really good. Like, the art is good, the music is good, the descent into glitchy chaos is good, it's a really great work from a first-time developer, especially for a free release. I had to buy the fan-pack after finishing the game, just for the sake of supporting it.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

ending spoilers

Monika's got a surprising amount of stuff to say if you hang around with her for a while. It's also incredibly jarring how her topics range from relateable things like "yeah the college system in the US is completely hosed in a lot of ways" to "sayori messed up when she hung herself and she died clawing at her neck". :catstare:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Spoilers aside, this game has a really good depiction of anxiety and depression. The writing is incredibly strong, even with the generic setup. I think I would've wound up liking it before it went, well. You'll see. Enjoy!

Cool! I definitely have more of the latter than the former! Gonna give it a shot.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Aw gently caress yeah, I'm in. I know literally nothing about this besides that it looks super anime and it's (probably) not at all what it looks like on its face. Let's see if this is actually super hosed up or something, that would kick rear end. :getin:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Aw gently caress yeah, I'm in. I know literally nothing about this besides that it looks super anime and it's (probably) not at all what it looks like on its face. Let's see if this is actually super hosed up or something, that would kick rear end. :getin:

:getin: indeed.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I think I missed a bunch because I deleted Monika soon after the glitches started so didn't get much in terms of conversations with her in the ending. I'm glad the steam thread made me play it even if I thought it was just very good and not the greatest thing ever.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Should have called the thread Doki Doki Literature Club! - I pop off my scalp like the lid of a cookie jar.

Oh my god this poem is horrifying enough already

Serious question why isn't this game called Doki Doki Poetry Club!?

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 8, 2017

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Post-game: One of the character files seems to contain a teaser for a game that will come out in 2018? Someone on Reddit dug deep into the files.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Blattdorf posted:

Post-game: One of the character files seems to contain a teaser for a game that will come out in 2018? Someone on Reddit dug deep into the files.

If you want to learn more about the game check out the DDLC Wiki.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
http://ddlcwiki.ga/wiki/Main_Page

Here if you can't find it.

Major spoilers in that so don't check it out before you're done with the game.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

This Steam review for the game cracked me the hell up. Like, I can just imagine the guy's Confederate flag bandanna and "Support our troops" bumper sticker.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 8, 2017

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

This Steam review for the game cracked me the hell up. Like, I can just imagine the guy's Confederate flag bandanna and "Support our troops" bumper sticker.

He lost me when he mentioned autism.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Mill Village posted:

He lost me when he mentioned autism.

I just love that this guy has no idea how paragraphs work.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

il_cornuto posted:

Serious question why isn't this game called Doki Doki Poetry Club!?

Because it's about all forms of literature - Yuki's horror novels, Natsuki's manga, Monika's.... whatever the heck she reads. Also what does Sayako read?

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I guess, but they focus on poetry.

Just finished for the first time I guess? Sayori's suicide was easy to see coming but the presentation was well done and the general discussion of depression was more accurate than a lot of media. It still hasn't massively impressed me yet but I'll do another playthrough - I just played up to being invited to the club in the new glitchy Sayori-less world so I'm interested to see if there's any kind of meta narrative going on.

Oh yeah, I do hope we find out what Monika said to Sayori. It sounded like it made things worse, and is the one loose end I could see being important if there is an overarching story.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 8, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Isn't it amazing how a writer can so deliberately take advantage of your own lack of imagination to completely throw you for a loop?

Still at the beginning of the game, but I liked that moment.

Might as well liveblog this as I go:

I can't help but notice that only Sayori (did they mean Sayuri?), Natsuki, and Yuri are on the little poem page. Any reason why Monika isn't? :thunk:

Hahaha, what the gently caress are these options? Lemme guess - the three visible girls are associated with the non-:negative: words, and Monika is instead some sort of negativity demon feeding on depressed and anxious people. She'll suck my brains out by the end of the game.

I'm choosing all the words that I personally like, and I'm mostly matching up with Yuri. Fair enough.

I wonder whether this is going to be subversive in a mundane way, or a fantastical way. Are we talking mind games and treachery, or eldritch demons and Song of Saya? I guess we'll find out.

Seeing talks of a post-game in this thread. Interesting...what kind of post-game could there possibly be in a game like this? Does it happen after only one route (if there are routes), or do I need to finish everything else first? I wonder if the format of the game changes at some point.

Is it possible that this is a psychological matter instead? Maybe an analysis of human behavior? I still don't know yet what "hosed-up" means for this game.

I just noticed that the title of this game is "DDLC". Are we gonna get DDLC DLC? :v:

Yuri's first club scene is dropping a lot of hints for her route (if this is her route), or for the game at large.
So there's cards on the table, at the very least...

I wonder if each girl's route (if there are any) tells the same story, or has the same theming.

Reading a book as a thematic substitute for or allusion to intimate gestures/activity. Interesting...

"The character reminds me of you a little bit." Ooh, what's that mean? Is it a hint towards the rest of her route? Is she actually the character in the book brought to life? Is this her autobiography, and she wants to share her story with the MC? Or is the MC living in a book world of sorts?

Wow, commenting on the other person's mannerisms and doing the antithesis of small-talk. These two got very intimate almost immediately. Strange...I wonder if it's just because it's a dating sim(?), or if there's some other reason for it.

Since the words in my poem mainly matched up with Yuri's, let's show it to her first.

Dawww, she liked it. :swoon: I hope she doesn't die or suffer or anything.

Tenik posted:

The game's not over until you see the credits.

Good to know!

Yuri thinks I've written a lot of poetry before. Is that a hint towards some sort of past? Does she already know who I am? Have I lost my memory, or am I in a time loop or something? Past lives, maybe? Or does she just like it that much? Why am I speculating so much?

:laffo: Are these poems Markov chains? Holy poo poo, the book Yuri gave me was called Portrait of Markov.
Are we robots!? Is this the Matrix!?

"The light flickers.
I flicker back."

That's actually pretty good.

She commented on how long it took for me to read the poem. Was the game timing me? :eyepop:

gently caress you talking about, "ghosts"? I don't think that poem had anything to do with ghosts. Did it?

Natsuki didn't really like my poem. Her poem was kinda...vaguely sad. If it wasn't also a Markov chain,
I mean.

One clue towards the poems being generated is that the dialogue about said poems either doesn't talk about the specific contents, or is off-topic (in Yuri's case). EDIT: Wait, no, Natsuki's subverted that. Guess I'm wrong :shrug: EDIT 2: Or did it? Hmmm....

I'm gonna save Monika's for last. I have a feeling it's gonna be special.

Are we all getting the same poems? Was Yuri's about bathing and flickering and Natsuki's about eagles and people for anyone else, or just me?

I wonder if Sayori is trying to get me to come out of my shell.

Hahaha, Sayori's poem for me was one she put off until that morning. :v: Beginning to think that the poems aside from Yuri's aren't Markov chains, though.

"I made eggs and toast! :downs:" Okay, now it's Monika time :unsmigghh: C'mon game, show your stripes!

Not sure what to think of Monika's poem. Might have to sit on it, but...hmmmmmm. Nothing overtly sinister, at least.

Wow, Yuri and Natsuki don't get along, do they?

SAYORI HELP OH NO I MADE IT WORSE

So I guess the plan for the foreseeable future is to write poems for whoever's route I want to go down?
Let's stick with Yuri, then.

I just had a thought. What if this entire thing so far has been a fakeout and there's a point where the game will throw everything it's established out the window and go in a completely different direction? I'd be surprised and kind of impressed if it pulls that off.

I'll start a new post once poo poo really goes down.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 8, 2017

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

OK so (post game)Monika's poems are different, and carrying on a story, while everyone else's are the same? I guess there is something else going on. Also the music pausing while Natsuki's eyes pop out of her head then carrying on like nothing happened was pretty great. The slightly wrong music is fantastic.

The argument scene the second time round is incredible

It took me a little while but now I'm totally sold, this is really good.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 8, 2017

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

The game's not over until you see the credits. The only thing left to do after that is to dig through the game files for secrets. I think people are just saying "postgame" to refer to what happens after your first ending, which is nowhere near the actual end of the game.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
This music is strangely out of place for all the poems i have been reading. This is actually a little unsettling.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

VolticSurge posted:

lol that review is seriously the best, right from the beginning:

quote:

For quite some time now, I've had this lingering suspicion that the japanese government created anime as a sort of weaponized autism to be unleashed quietly on america

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I'm going to have to stop playing for the night, but the Steam page description being written by Monika actually seems a little... off... now. I'm pretty sure she's up to no good after seeing her reaction to Yuri's issues. I'm also really interested in how much things change if you go for a different girl first.

Thanks to everyone in the steam thread who made this sound interesting, I'm really glad I started playing it.

QuarkJets posted:

lol that review is seriously the best, right from the beginning:
As if anime could be unleashed quietly.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
So when does something actually start happening cause I'm up to the point where they're practicing reciting poetry and this is all boring anime garbage so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I finally played it after reading about it in the Steam thread and it was great. I knew to expect something "different" but the game really surprised me.

The whole "pick words" mechanic plus Markov's name-drop made think it was going to do something weird with the words I was selecting but (AFAIK) nope.

I also thought Yuri was going to be a serial killer or something from her second poem, it only clicked she was a cutter when the MC helps her with the banners. Monika's second poem makes it obvious something weird is happening but with everything that is going on with Sayori at the time I managed to forget about it until traceback.txt.

What determines the "special poem" you unlock after the first "end"? I got Natsuki's so I assume you get the one you didn't help prepare for the festival (to explain her character's "problem" since you don't get a second chance to get those scenes since it all goes to poo poo after Sayori gets deleted).

Also, I'm spoiling it but maybe this could go in the OP. It's the essence of DDLC after all. :v:

• Locked thread