Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Endorph posted:

kindred spirits on the roof

Huh. Given your... reputation I was expecting a snippy response. But yeah, I remember enjoying that one. No STEINS;GATE but it was unoffensive from what I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Was, uh...mojibake aside, was the opening text always like this? This one seems much more meanspirited.

So the one thing about this - it really takes way too long to kick in, I'd shorten the onset by a good 20-30 minutes of playtime. I can say that this looks pretty standard so far, though I've never really played Umineko, Higurashi, CHAOS;HEAD, STEINS;GATE or other games I know to be similar in nature.

I'm just gonna shut up now. I'll come back when I'm done.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 9, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VolticSurge posted:

Huh. Given your... reputation I was expecting a snippy response. But yeah, I remember enjoying that one. No STEINS;GATE but it was unoffensive from what I remember.

im a lesbian so perhaps kindred spirits on the roof had a certain je ne sais quoi to me

ultimately i just don't think 'what if a normal VN, but ALL hosed UP is that interesting, but ive played enough VNs to have seen that kinda thing done before. also theres something kinda weird to me about 'this ANIME BULLSHIT is only good because teenage girls kill themselves in it,' which i know is a reductive take, but the whole thing just feels creepier to me than an actual vn where you just hit on girls because at least that's just honest and occasionally sincere. not accusing the devs of anything or something, just giving my thoughts. a few of the glitchy effects are interesting and there's some cool puzzle solutions - would you call them puzzle solutions? - but I wouldn't call this a transformative experience or anything.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

That's pretty fair, I'd say. I like it overall, but it's definitely a game that you need to be in the right mood to play. After the Sayori Route I felt incredibly drained afterwards and needed to take a break.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Endorph posted:

im a lesbian so perhaps kindred spirits on the roof had a certain je ne sais quoi to me

ultimately i just don't think 'what if a normal VN, but ALL hosed UP is that interesting, but ive played enough VNs to have seen that kinda thing done before. also theres something kinda weird to me about 'this ANIME BULLSHIT is only good because teenage girls kill themselves in it,' which i know is a reductive take, but the whole thing just feels creepier to me than an actual vn where you just hit on girls because at least that's just honest and occasionally sincere. not accusing the devs of anything or something, just giving my thoughts. a few of the glitchy effects are interesting and there's some cool puzzle solutions - would you call them puzzle solutions? - but I wouldn't call this a transformative experience or anything.

I haven't seen this kind of spin on "a generic romance vn but creepy" yet, and I like the fairly accurate take on mental illness. :shobon:

I mean, compared to something like Grisaia it's... different. Shorter, for sure.

Sliding kindred spirits up the wishlist again, but I want to finish reading Fata Morgana/Tokyo Babel/etc before I buy Yet Another VN.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Honestly, I figured something was up as soon as Monika wasn't displayed on the poem editor.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pollyanna posted:

Honestly, I figured something was up as soon as Monika wasn't displayed on the poem editor.

I actually assumed there was going to be a hidden true route or something like that. I've read a VN once where not only was there a hidden true route, the character for it didn't even show up until that route, where they were shoehorned into the game.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

It's just a neat free VN that if you dig far enough into the folders/code is an advertisement for an upcoming unnamed project.

If it's good enough for it's own thread on the forums, I think it's doing it's job well enough.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Stokes posted:

If it's good enough for it's own thread on the forums, I think it's doing it's job well enough.

Well, part of the reason this game got its own thread was that Strix figured that it'd be wise to keep spoiler talk away from the Steam thread to avoid giving the twists away to anyone on the fence about DLing it. Which proves your point, I suppose.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I missed sanity effects. Any other good games with that kinda poo poo? VNs or otherwise.

I feel like replaying Irisu Syndrome now.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Jim Barris posted:

My thoughts on the conclusion of the story and about the VN generally follow so there's lots of spoilers!

General spoilers for material after the first ending, nothing specific:

I really liked the eye changes, too. The artstyle and musical changes, as well as the occasional bits of animation, were great touches that made the tone of the game that much more unsettling, but would look too corny without the proper expectation built up to them. Although the first act was a little long, the game really needed to expose players to that much saccharine sweet anime to make the tonal changes in the second and third act work. As someone who doesn't watch a lot of anime, it really bugged me until the scene with Natsuki and her manga. Having her directly state that it's important to see characters interact in a casual way before developing a more serious plot was a great meta wink that the writer knew that they had to develop their characters before things got weird.

post credit spoilers:

Has anyone looked at the wiki yet? There are a lot of little pieces in the game data that hint at an ARG-esque larger story about who and what the characters are, and that will probably be related to the game dev's next project. Try renaming monika.chr to monika.png if you want a taste of what the game has hidden. Based on what the wiki says about that image, I can't help but wonder if the devs' next game will interact with DDLC's character data files in some way.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to what the studio puts out next.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Well, I can't say that I'm getting a whole lot of groundbreaking or insightful commentary on the state of visual novels or anything, but it's an entertaining romp so far.

Here's my prediction for the game: this is a game that was developed far in the future and each girl is a sort of hyperadvanced AI that's glitching out and overfocusing on a particular kind of emotion hence the glitchiness, save for Monika who's more of a GM-like figure and wants out of this anime hell.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 9, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stokes posted:

It's just a neat free VN that if you dig far enough into the folders/code is an advertisement for an upcoming unnamed project.

Yeah like I said I thought it was decent and I'm not accusing the devs of anything, just saying why I didn't dig it as much as other people in this thread.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I haven't seen this kind of spin on "a generic romance vn but creepy" yet, and I like the fairly accurate take on mental illness. :shobon:

I mean, compared to something like Grisaia it's... different. Shorter, for sure.

Sliding kindred spirits up the wishlist again, but I want to finish reading Fata Morgana/Tokyo Babel/etc before I buy Yet Another VN.
Yeah I will say that it had a decent take on mental illness/codependency, at least.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Pollyanna posted:

This perception has not been lost on visual novel writers and the field as a whole, and I can tell you that many many works have specifically addressed this problem in some way or another.

Also, if you feel like your drinking is getting out of control, please get help :(

Just joking. But I understand If i might have made it almost serious. Seriously sorry about that, because at one point It was for me.

(This depression poo poo is actually hitting me a little bit hard, because even though I know absolutely how it feels like, it's nice seeing someone else write about it. I certainly never thought about other people going through it, so that too is a fresh change of pace. hosed up part Is, I knew the first character you met was hosed up like that, I could see that a mile away, but it really doesn't make it any better knowing)

(Just goes to show the most outwardly happy showing people are sometimes the ones hurting the most, and that maybe people should pay attention to that)

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 9, 2017

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I don't really like this game, not because of the artistry- it's a fine game!- but because the creepypasta horror poo poo was way less compelling to me than the depictions of mental illness in the rest of the cast that weren't Monika. Her character as the subtly abusive badfriend felt more unique and compelling to me than her as the spooky horror villain who knows she's in a video game and all. Sayori's suicide was by far the most frightening thing in the game and it was a real letdown to not deal with any of the ramifications of that. So, I guess it just wasn't what I was hoping it would be.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Just joking. But I understand If i might have made it almost serious. Seriously sorry about that, because at one point It was for me.

(This depression poo poo is actually hitting me a little bit hard, because even though I know absolutely how it feels like, it's nice seeing someone else write about it. I certainly never thought about other people going through it, so that too is a fresh change of pace. hosed up part Is, I knew the first character you met was hosed up like that, I could see that a mile away, but it really doesn't make it any better knowing)

(Just goes to show the most outwardly happy showing people are sometimes the ones hurting the most, and that maybe people should pay attention to that)

Yeah, it currently is for me. I'm re-evaluating my relationship to it right now, cause it's really really bad.

This game is a bit of a trip. I wonder if there's any others like it?

Current theory: Monika's a demon of some sort. A time-traveling, soul-sucking langolier. Why else would she be okay while everyone including the MC is losing it?

Haha knew it, Yuri's cutting herself. Wait, is that still a thing?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 9, 2017

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

alcharagia posted:

I don't really like this game, not because of the artistry- it's a fine game!- but because the creepypasta horror poo poo was way less compelling to me than the depictions of mental illness in the rest of the cast that weren't Monika. Her character as the subtly abusive badfriend felt more unique and compelling to me than her as the spooky horror villain who knows she's in a video game and all. Sayori's suicide was by far the most frightening thing in the game and it was a real letdown to not deal with any of the ramifications of that. So, I guess it just wasn't what I was hoping it would be.

Yeah, I feel like the game would have been just as good if it was just about dealing with the three characters and how they're all broken and hosed up in their own ways. The looks at mental illness the characters had were interesting and grounded and I would have liked to have seen more of that, I think.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm kind of disappointed that hitting Esc -> Help on the "please help me" dialog box doesn't do anything special.

I do like, however, that the MC is effectively no longer a character in the game.

OH GOD NATSUKI SHUT UP

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 9, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
What the gently caress? What the gently caress? WHAT THE gently caress?

Okay, New Game Plus it is.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Don't forget to look at the local Steam files :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

What are some other good VNs?

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, I think they are big part of the narrative, especially the first one.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

gmq posted:

Zero Escape

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gmq posted:

Let's Play Irisu Syndrome.

quote:

Yeah, I think they are big part of the narrative, especially the first one.

Surprising, given how easy they are to miss. That's the one problem with the Steam release...same reason Irisu Syndrome wouldn't work.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Remember how manipulative she's been. She's now being manipulative towards you. Don't let her gaslight you.

I think that's all she knows; Monika is the only 'real' person in the game, and she doesn't know how to interact with anything or anyone other than pulling and pushing at them to try to get them to do something. Her realizing what she's done at the end of the game and the song she sings for you show that she at least learns at the end.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

gmq posted:

Steins; Gate for a cool time travel thriller, Umineko for a spooky murder mystery with fantastic music, Kindred Spirits if you just want to have a chill time with likable anime friends

Zero Escape is good but it's not really a pure VN; the Phoenix Wright series is another good series in that category.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Pollyanna posted:

Ho-leeee poo poo, I'm gettin' some fuckin' chills right now.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Like this game? You should play Irisu Syndrome. :) :) :) :) :)

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 9, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I just looked at the characters folder, what the gently caress

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

I think that's all she knows; Monika is the only 'real' person in the game, and she doesn't know how to interact with anything or anyone other than pulling and pushing at them to try to get them to do something. Her realizing what she's done at the end of the game and the song she sings for you show that she at least learns at the end.
endgame
honestly, listening to all the conversations in the Monika Zone's got me kinda convinced that calling herself 'real' is just a coping mechanism/rationalization for murdering her friends. Like, she tells stories about the other characters that kinda blur the line on what exactly separates her from them, other than her fourth-wall awareness?

Natsuki's last 'poem', had that effect, too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

...huh. Did Monika just drop a hint as to how to get rid of her?

I'm loving amazed that I actually called it. Well, on the whole.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Okay, so, I saw the credits:

I thought the initial poetry days dragged a little, and right around when Sayori started getting depressed and suicidal I thought the game was just trying to play it for sympathy, but when the game actually kicked in it got good again! All in all, though, it's more or less what I expected - even down to the premise of a bunch of AI going insane. That doesn't make it bad - I guess I just thought on the same level as the developer.

Gonna have to take some time to compose my thoughts on the game as a whole, though. I wanna keep trying to restore the game's state (there's gotta be something after the credits, I mean c'mon), and when I do, I'll revisit it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Endgame: After Act 2 I was thinking it was gonna go in a slightly different direction, with one girl inevitably dying then disappearing in each act. That would also have been an interesting twist, especially if who died was tied to the route you picked (but would make a LOT of work for the writer)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So after seeing the credits, that's it - you're done. Bit of a shame, really. I expected there to be some way to "fix" the game and make it so it'd have a good and happy ending somehow, but I guess it's the game itself that's hosed up and not the characters.

Still kinda feel like it's unfinished by not offering anything after the credits. Disappointing. It gets points off for that, even though it really shouldn't :( Overall, I liked it! It just kinda ended on a brown note for me, cause I didn't really feel like the ending had much payoff.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

So after seeing the credits, that's it - you're done. Bit of a shame, really. I expected there to be some way to "fix" the game and make it so it'd have a good and happy ending somehow, but I guess it's the game itself that's hosed up and not the characters..

There is a way. Savescum to get all the CG's prior to Sayori's hanging. Continue from there.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It's an interesting game, but I was more interested and probably would've liked more if instead of the fourth wall breaking it was more about the issues each character had and how you could help.

I suppose there might be a VN expert here, is there a game like that? Won't buy it right away but I'd like to try some day.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I really wish the game made it clear you were playing a dude because it was frustrating to have the game go "Ask Catherine, HE liked my poem!" ughhhh

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oxxidation posted:

There is a way. Savescum to get all the CG's prior to Sayori's hanging. Continue from there.

I came across that one - still kinda dinky, but maybe it'll give me some closure.

I guess I just think the ending was pretty anemic. It didn't feel like I got much out of the experience, and I feel like if there was some way to restore the game to full capacity after the whole "pls reinstall game" thing I would feel more fulfilled. Maybe that's just me, but I feel like the game is unfinished if I can't fix everything. Please, just let me fix everything, I can do this, i can do it i can do it i can do it i can do it please

please

PS: For a fun time, and an explanation of exactly what the hell happened at the very end, try reinstalling the game and deleting Monika from the very beginning. :getin:

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I really wish the game made it clear you were playing a dude because it was frustrating to have the game go "Ask Catherine, HE liked my poem!" ughhhh

I know, right? :shepicide:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

PS: For a fun time, and an explanation of exactly what the hell happened at the very end, try reinstalling the game and deleting Monika from the very beginning. :getin:

Sayoko freaks out over the nature of her existence (I assume it's because she's getting the club's presidential powers :v:) and the game closes. Opening it again shows her hanging in the air again. :smith:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is one of those games where I wish I had more inspiration, motivation, and dedication to expand on it. I can code, and this seems like one of those games that deserves an extension - why not?

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's encrypted. That's that I guess.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

If you really want more content after you see the credits check the wiki. There is some stuff hidden in the game data files, including secret poems and encrypted messages. The content in the game will probably be expounded on in the studio's next game.

I'd like to second the request for a good VN about helping people. I haven't given VNs much of a shot, and the first act of the game has made me want to try one that doesn't develop the way DDLC's story does.

• Locked thread