Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I finally played it after reading about it in the Steam thread and it was great. I knew to expect something "different" but the game really surprised me.

The whole "pick words" mechanic plus Markov's name-drop made think it was going to do something weird with the words I was selecting but (AFAIK) nope.

I also thought Yuri was going to be a serial killer or something from her second poem, it only clicked she was a cutter when the MC helps her with the banners. Monika's second poem makes it obvious something weird is happening but with everything that is going on with Sayori at the time I managed to forget about it until traceback.txt.

What determines the "special poem" you unlock after the first "end"? I got Natsuki's so I assume you get the one you didn't help prepare for the festival (to explain her character's "problem" since you don't get a second chance to get those scenes since it all goes to poo poo after Sayori gets deleted).

Also, I'm spoiling it but maybe this could go in the OP. It's the essence of DDLC after all. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

What are some other good VNs?

Pollyanna posted:

Don't forget to look at the local Steam files :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Yeah, I think they are big part of the narrative, especially the first one.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

PS: For a fun time, and an explanation of exactly what the hell happened at the very end, try reinstalling the game and deleting Monika from the very beginning. :getin:

Sayoko freaks out over the nature of her existence (I assume it's because she's getting the club's presidential powers :v:) and the game closes. Opening it again shows her hanging in the air again. :smith:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Thanks to everyone who suggested Kindred Spirits. It's like a balm for my battered heart after this game.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'd second Kindred Spirits (I 100% it after someone recommended it in this thread) if you want more of the VNs parts and less horror-inducing meta gaming. It's extremely cute and perfect for getting over this game.

And since you're helping other characters achieve their goals and the story is linear you're free of the ethical issues DDLC inflicts on you. :v:

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

blastron posted:

Virtual YouTuber Kizuna Ai is going through DDLC and yeah, I forgot how slow the buildup is. She keeps dunking on the protagonist, which is pretty funny, but at 15 minutes per video it’ll be probably 5 episodes total before she gets to hang out with Sayori during the school festival. And, since she’s playing so many games at once, it’ll be over a month until she gets there...

Isn't she 100% scripted though? I like it better when I can lie to myself that their reactions are real.

• Locked thread