Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

dipwood posted:

But the EVE thread is the only one you troll more than this one?

I played EVE, and it's much easier to get fights here. I can be in a life in death battle in seconds here, in EVE it requires 40 jumps from my house.

So since I want to play a full loot pvp game, AO is the best one on the market.

I think the other people in this thread can't deny that, but they need to rationalize why they're not playing anymore. It's okay to not like a game anymore, dudes! Unfortunately, the result of that is that your favorite niche might not be filled anymore. It happens.

EVE really is the best full-loot PVP game out there. You can make a solid living just murdering PVE bears and stealing their poo poo. Hatemail is a nice bonus.

But to be fair, it is worthy and good to shitpost any "goon" that plays eve because most of them are a bunch of inbred autists in a lovely space club with a superiority complex dating back to 2009 era spy tactics

But EVE itself is a pretty dope game for the 10% of the time you're doing fun things. Once you hit the xen level utopia of always having enough ISK to blow nerds up without bankrupting, it's fun 90% of the time.

The best way to have fun in EVE: avoid playing with goonswarm. Don't take my word for it -- read the EVE thread. Or just revel in the fact they moral troll the community while having a pidgin channel dedicated to and supporting people who use the word friend of the family unironically.

It's REALLY easy to rationalize not playing AO though: It's a shallow, unfun game that artificially limits PVP because it has no identity and can't figure out a long term direction.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid
Just hit T8 Last night.

Can confirm game is still alive and fun sometimes.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

dipwood posted:

Can any of the people posting player numbers explain which game does full loot pvp better right now?

Probably none minus EVE? If that is your only criteria then this game is really for you and I encourage people to try it out.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
they've always touted this game as a "mmoba", and i think that's really the problem with holding people's interest. the only endgame content AO has is gvg, which is the moba part of it. if you're not interested in playing in gvg, everything else gets old pretty quick.

ganking is fun as hell in this game but any feeling of accomplishment with it evaporated within the first 2 months. any 2-3 decent players can go out and gank people in high tier gear all day long.

that's the difference between full loot pvp in AO and full loot pvp in eve. unless you can gank someone on one of those t8 super rare horses wearing full 8.3 hellgate gear or whatever, it's never gonna compare to going out and blowing up some dude's mothership or titan. even then, eh.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

BadLlama posted:

Probably none minus EVE? If that is your only criteria then this game is really for you and I encourage people to try it out.

This really is my criteria -- does the game have:

1. The ability to kill anyone you see with uneven numbers
2. The ability to loot them and take their poo poo after killing them

UO is dead (RIP 1997-2017) and Im not sure coming into EVE 12years after it started makes much sense when Albion exists.... bonus points I guess because I enjoy moba PVP.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
too bad albion has fewer than 2000 concurrent players

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Do you really need that many players when a 100v100 fight shits the server anyway?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

too bad albion has fewer than 2000 concurrent players

There is nothing quite as satisfying as vindication. :smuggo:

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Kimsemus posted:

yeah man you really stood out as the lone voice saying this game will fail. congratulations

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Suxpool posted:

yeah man you really stood out as the lone voice saying this game will fail. congratulations

ty god bless

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Kimsemus posted:

I feel so glad that their dead lovely mmo with dead lovely devs is dead and lovely.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

FormerFatty posted:

This really is my criteria -- does the game have:

1. The ability to kill anyone you see with uneven numbers
2. The ability to loot them and take their poo poo after killing them

UO is dead (RIP 1997-2017) and Im not sure coming into EVE 12years after it started makes much sense when Albion exists.... bonus points I guess because I enjoy moba PVP.

problem is, I can get that kind of "took stuff" rush from counterstrike or planetside, what makes these games compelling enough to want to deal with the boring parts

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

Good Dumplings posted:

problem is, I can get that kind of "took stuff" rush from counterstrike or planetside, what makes these games compelling enough to want to deal with the boring parts

Wait -- what kind of persistent loot are you taking from people in CS:GO or planetside?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

FormerFatty posted:

Wait -- what kind of persistent loot are you taking from people in CS:GO or planetside?

ffa full loot sandbox, the clarion call of nerds who go from failed mmo to failed mmo every 6 months of so

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

Percelus posted:

ffa full loot sandbox, the clarion call of nerds who go from failed mmo to failed mmo every 6 months of so

I dunno -- I played UO for 20 years with a brief stint in 2008 for Darkfall.... what other full loot/PVP MMOs have even come out besides these 2, Albion, and EvE(alphas/betas/crowdsource scams dont count)?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I finally got around to using the trial that Gluttony sent me (thanks!) and I've been enjoying the starter areas. I'm trying to stick to the crafting/farming side of things but it looks like some combat is required anyways. Looks like going as a priest is punching yourself in the dick when leveling solo but uguu I like to heal. I saw one of the quarterstaves lets you do some healing - any value there? Or any other class that focuses on party support?

I've done a few of those public dungeons in the middle of a camp (mineshafts I think they're called) and I just completed the daily portal dungeon thing in town. Is there just supposed to be one random chest in those? I would have expected stuff from the boss other than a bit of silver, but I guess that's not a thing?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

this game is fun until you realize that there isn't a reason to play other than to epic trolle other people into quitting the game

so now that only like 5 people play it's kinda pointless

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

Richard M Nixon posted:

I finally got around to using the trial that Gluttony sent me (thanks!) and I've been enjoying the starter areas. I'm trying to stick to the crafting/farming side of things but it looks like some combat is required anyways. Looks like going as a priest is punching yourself in the dick when leveling solo but uguu I like to heal. I saw one of the quarterstaves lets you do some healing - any value there? Or any other class that focuses on party support?

If you wanna do heal or support you wanna go healer(nature or holy, either one is good) OR you wanna do arcane(which is a buff class). Healers(holy or nature) are actually 2 of the few classes that can actually solo content pretty effectively.

quote:

I've done a few of those public dungeons in the middle of a camp (mineshafts I think they're called) and I just completed the daily portal dungeon thing in town. Is there just supposed to be one random chest in those? I would have expected stuff from the boss other than a bit of silver, but I guess that's not a thing?

Expeditions? Not sure -- theyre pretty junk these days; just get yourself to t4 in armor + weapon and then get in mumble so we can show you the high end fame farming spots we lock down as an alliance.

Matty
Oct 29, 2010
Is this goony guild active anymore? Posted to auth my goon status, charname is Mattyb3.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

Matty posted:

Is this goony guild active anymore? Posted to auth my goon status, charname is Mattyb3.

We are still making GBS threads things up in Mercia... you can apply to Awful Company in game or send me a PM on discord to get added(GluttonySDS#0952).

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

game is dead, do not buy

spacemarine1999
Nov 26, 2013

The memory
of this experience
will fade
can i spam free trial keys here?

Matty
Oct 29, 2010
I'm on the trial currently, got all the relevant stuff to t4, but holding out on getting a starter pack :10bux: as i suspect there will be a sale over the xmas period. :jewish: If this game is dead and gay, it suits me, as we are a dead gay forum.

E not too dead and gay though, don't wanna waste 49.99! :shepspends:

Matty fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 16, 2017

lexxyth
Jan 21, 2015
Anybody care to share a trial key? I was about to use one from reddit, but might as well help a goon with the ref.
Started the trial.

lexxyth fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 17, 2017

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

i'll sell you my account(s) for half of the going rate, comes with a 'high level' character you can use if you wish

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid
Just came here to shitpost that game is not dead yet.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

vermeul posted:

Just came here to shitpost that game is not dead yet.

Its mostly dead than?

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

BadLlama posted:

Its mostly dead than?

Its still got players to play with and other players to kill those players with and then loot their poo poo... if thats your thing(in a moba type pvp setting) then albion still serves its purpose.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

i'll sell you my account(s) for half of the going rate, comes with a 'high level' character you can use if you wish

I will sell mine cheaper than this guy

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Is this game actually good or do goons just pretend it's good because they're mad about being banned from UOForever?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
column a, column b, column justifying purchases

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012

FormerFatty posted:

Its still got players to play with and other players to kill those players with and then loot their poo poo... if thats your thing(in a moba type pvp setting) then albion still serves its purpose.

praise be, there's still players to kill out there and dev keeps adding new poo poo with every major patch.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

game bad, uninstall and sell your accounts

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!
I've never regretted a game purchase more than this one.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I have games on steam I never installed and this was a worse purchase.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Comrayn posted:

I have games on steam I never installed and this was a worse purchase.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Internet Victory posted:

I've never regretted a game purchase more than this one.

This one too.

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Posting for auth. Same name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Alas, the joke was on him,

for the game had died 5 times already of it's own making.

A specter of what could have been,

a haunting of 100bux lost

merry christmas nerds