Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
I thought everyone was ready for Lamar Jackson to go 1st overall? What happened to him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

MrLogan posted:

I thought everyone was ready for Lamar Jackson to go 1st overall? What happened to him?

Probably looked at the Browns barreling towards that 1st overall pick and just :yikes: out of there.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MrLogan posted:

He's not been balling out recently. After the loss to Clemson he's only put up Lamar Jackson quality stats against Murray State so everyone's souring on him. He's still amazing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is there much in terms of edge rush this year?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

algebra testes posted:

Is there much in terms of edge rush this year?

At the top, yes. Arden Key, Harold Landry and Bradley Chubb are first round guys.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Coldforge posted:

At the top, yes. Arden Key, Harold Landry and Bradley Chubb are first round guys.

More than that. Dorance Armstrong, Ogbonnla Okoronkwo, Lorenzo Carter, Clelin Ferrell, Malik Jefferson, Tremaine Edmunds, Sam Hubbard, Josh Sweat, and Austin Bryant are all pushing top 100 right now. Could easily see a ton of edge rushers go in the first round this year. There's also a glut of DTs. I think out of the big mix behind Key, Chubb, and Landry, Clelin Ferrell and Okoronkwo have the best chance to make a jump into the top 25. Also there's Maurice Hurst out of Michigan who is a really interesting tweener. He might turn into a legitimate 4-3 DE at the next level because he's really under-weight for a UT. Then again Aaron Donald... but still.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe the jags can pick up a DE or DT in the mid-rounds for depth and development.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Coldforge posted:

Arden Key is fat and out of shape and unless he gets significantly less so over the course of the year he is not worth a first round pick.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Can we just have the linemen?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

Can we just have the linemen?

there aren't lineman anymore.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Are they any players that can catch passes and then occasionally do cool poo poo after catching said passes? It's always good to know who my lovely FO will pass on in the draft.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Why do people bring up Rosen’s personality as an issue? Is he an rear end in a top hat or something?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Super Fan posted:

Why do people bring up Rosen’s personality as an issue? Is he an rear end in a top hat or something?

Supposedly. He has dared to have opinions on college players being paid so its probably more "we can't call him uppity for some reason".

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Supposedly. He has dared to have opinions on college players being paid so its probably more "we can't call him uppity for some reason".

He doesn't get along well with stupid people (his coach, for instance).

There's a lot of stupid people in football.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Rosen hates Jim Mora for good reasons. Jim Mora probably hates Rosen for good reasons too, but Jim Mora's a douche that's been running unbelievable talent into the ground at UCLA for years now.

Also can someone photoshop a Giants jersey on Lamar Jackson for me tia

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Also on board the Lamar Jackson wagon.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Ches Neckbeard posted:

He's also probably the most vocal "gently caress trump" guy in college football, so ending up in certain states is probably not the best move if that team wants the fans to not immediately revolt.

Here are some really preliminary QB write-ups and a handful of other really interesting prospects:

Sam Darnold - QB USC
Life comes at you fast. He's gotten a lot of hype as a future first-rounder off of half a season of strong play and then this season, where he spends half the game looking like he just wants to be off the field already. He's physically one of the more impressive guys, big enough to be durable but moves well. His arm looks like a cannon, but that's mainly a product of his receivers creating enough space that he gets away with a lot of floaters. Similarly, when he forces balls, he doesn't always get the velocity right and will guess the defender's capabilities wrong, leading to a decent number of picks. In reality, his arm is solid and will be around NFL average, with enough velocity to survive but nothing crazy. His footwork looks exactly like most Mobile QBs at this stage, which is to say mediocre. He plants well on quick reads and clearly designed deep shots, regardless of contact, though he transfers weight too early and flutters balls at times as a result. His scrambling footwork is going to get him in a world of hurt though. He plants at a lot of 45 degree angles or throws across his body with open hips a lot but gets away with it because the defenses he plays against can't handle his skill players at all. His release is good, but he loops a little bit right now too and does some ball patting that's going to cause batted balls down the line.

I don't think his scheme is overly complicated, so his mental transition will be about average, since his guys do at least run full route trees and have a full protection scheme, albeit ones where the reads are pretty quick. To tell you the truth, he looks a lot like Blake Bortles did as a prospect, where he's physically about the prototype but has some dumb technical traits that come out on big plays.

Josh Rosen - QB UCLA
Probably the most hyped Pocket Passer in the last few years out of high school, who's now had one of the more mediocre tenures in college football. He's got an arm that will remind people a lot of an Aaron Rodgers post-Cal or Derek Carr, with crazy instant velocity, often at the expense of some air that could make his receivers' lives easier. That works out pretty well for him, since he gets away with some crazy throws just off of college defenders not being able to handle the speed off his hand or closing too slow. His footwork and arm mechanics are pretty much impeccable when in motion, though he pats the ball a decent amount, which is easily corrected. His feet plant well and don't seem to lose momentum laterally or by twisting, which is rare in modern QBs. He also moved within the pocket well but shouldn't be allowed to scramble given his fragility. His arm release is over-the-top but slightly horizontal, which contributes to his bullet passes but might be to his benefit at the next level. He gets the snot beat out of him behind his O-line, so he would probably benefit from a year-off if possible just to recover. Schematically, he's basically running an NFL offense with mismatched toys for that scheme (spread linemen and backs who really would benefit from added space), but he hasn't had issues scoring with it. He's had full audible responsibility since his late freshman year, and he calls his own protections, so the mind games at the pros aren't likely to be an issue. Honestly, when you're that football smart, the bigger issue is that some coaches get bruised egos and complain.

Obviously, there are going to be some fears that getting beaten into the dirt while being held up as a savior makes him a Hackenberg type of bust, but he's throwing 50 times a game and likes the game enough to understand it. He looks a lot like Rodgers did as a prospect, right down to the sketchy college results.

Josh Allen - QB Wyoming
Pull up a chair, this takes some explaining. I don't know who decided Craig Bohl of all people is a QB whisperer, but some idiot in the media did, so Allen gets all this hype as a future first-rounder while looking like he's a little too exceptional for the Mountain West. He torched Boise and some other teams last year off of some incredibly silly plays. By incredibly silly, I mean completely mystifying. His arm, in raw talent terms, is at that Cutler/Stafford/Elway type level where he could probably throw 70-80 off of his back foot and regularly gets away with bonehead decisions off of it. He had at least two throws to the end zone last year where I remember him hucking a spinning laser 40 yards downfield while a guy ran a "when will this play be over" crossing route that the defender figures wouldn't matter. He's the kind of guy who will probably break some receivers' fingers at the next level. He's also fairly agile, though you won't want him running much without sliding in the NFL. Oh, and his scheme is fairly professional in that there's clear protection and audible calls along with adjustments to lineup pre-snap called by the QB.

So what's wrong with him? Well, there was this tendency with the Rex Grossmans of the world to trust that arm strength can make up for anything. Receiver not open? Throw it where he will be. Didn't see the open guy? Throw it harder to make up for that. Josh Allen does that and then some, to where he had some bonehead interceptions off of basic defensive concepts just by thinking "no I've got this". Go watch the Iowa game to see what I mean. He has all kinds of time, but the Iowa defense just stays sound and in place. Rather than take what's there (underneath/scramble room), he forces it and gives up the pick. That's about the only thing Iowa can consistently do, but when you fall for it, you're not inspiring me. Factor in that he's not really the greatest at touch routes like the back shoulder, and I'm concerned that you have a guy who's going to throw a lot of picks on slants and corners that shouldn't be there. Grossman is a decent comparison, but honestly so is Cutler out of college.

Lamar Jackson - QB Louisville
The human highlight reel of college football. He's maybe the best non-triple option runner we've seen at the position since Vick. No, that's not an exaggeration. He would be completely unstoppable if he had any help at all from his team. Last year's squad had a mediocre O-line with good skill players to make up for it. This year, he's had a poo poo offensive line and a group of receivers that clearly didn't benefit from sitting on the bench last year. He's had a lot more time in the pocket than people think and gets through 3-4 reads quickly, plus he's actually pretty good at identifying coverages/blitz packages. The problem is that his team is bad enough that he has no time at all for that to work in his favor.

His arm is solid. I'm curious what he could do if he had another 15-20 pounds on him, since he gets good velocity now but could potentially have a cannon with some extra mass to put behind it. I like his placement on short and intermediate throws, and I think his deep passing is decent but needs some work on ball flight to avoid downfield interceptions, since he occasionally throws the ball a bit behind the guy with space, like he's trying to plant it on the back shoulder there too. Obviously these aren't spiraling like NFL-types like to see. I actually like his footwork in the pocket fairly well, provided he has some time. This year, that hasn't been often beyond some 3 step/2-read plays, as his long shotgun passes tend to get bum-rushed and force him into a scramble drill. I actually like his footwork on the run too, since he doesn't throw across his body too often and leaves some touch on passes at the sideline. I would like to see him work on releasing those balls higher though, since he tucks the ball down a bit on the run. The big issue is getting him comfortable with hanging in a pocket on a 4-5 second interval, since that's gotten him killed in college behind that line.

In terms of system, theoretically, Petrino runs an pro-ish system and has Lamar under center and making protection calls/audibles. However, he runs a truncated route tree for his receivers at the moment that's going to take some development at the next level. Looks very similar to RG3 or Tannehill at the moment, but with much better scrambling ability than either of those two.

Baker Mayfield QB-Oklahoma
This one's gonna be shorter, just because I think everyone knows what he is already. He's a slightly undersized, rascally Air Raid QB with impeccable touch and ability to extend plays. He also has a weaker arm than you would like (albeit he'll be around, if perhaps a little under average in the NFL) made worse by him having a bit of a 3/4 motion that shot puts the ball sometimes. He's going to draw Manziel comparisons for his personality, but I think he splits the difference between a Manziel and Goff as an actual player, since he's clearly football smart enough to run 5-read progressions and put the ball where it needs to go. Problem is, I'm not sure if that kind of patience is a good thing, since a team with even a mediocre O-line could get him killed with how he likes to hold on and pat the ball. His footwork tends to be mediocre, with him getting away with a lot of soft passes just off of how open his guys get after a while. Needs to work on tightening the ball flight. I notice he's got the typical shotgun quarterback issues of failing to square his feet at times as well. His scrambling footwork also leaves something to be desired, since he'll try going across the body if that's where the open guy is, but he'll hang that ball every single time. Needs to work on throwing with consistent velocity.

I'm actually not worried about him adapting to an NFL system. Riley's air raid is pretty complicated and has a lot of moving parts, so I think he'll digest that portion well. Just serious mechanical issues. Looks like Colt McCoy with slightly more velocity to me.

Mason Rudolph QB-Oklahoma State
God I want him on a vertical team. He's probably the best pure passer, ignoring schemes, in this draft class. Might have the nicest deep ball from both velocity and placement that we've seen in a decade. I'm talking perfect spirals. His footwork out of the gun is impeccable, but he'll have that classic "can he take snaps" criticism going too, since he basically only ever grabs the ball then squares up. His arm is big enough to do whatever an NFL team wants, and his motion is very very quick, though he'll sometimes sidearm a ball like Rivers would in college. He can be slow and shuffle his feet at times though, particularly on crossing patterns that take time to develop. Also throws a wicked fastball over the middle, though some MLBs and Safeties may be able to grab them at the next level.

He stays in the pocket well, but he doesn't do a lot of protection or pre-snap reads beyond setting the alignment or the occasional route audible, since they package a lot of plays and design the reads in as a result. I do think he's easily the best air raid QB I've seen from a polish standpoint. He'll probably draw some comparisons to Goff, but I think he's eerily similar to Brandon Weeden, albeit with far more polish on his intermediate-deep game.

Luke Falk QB-Washington State
The last full write-up I'll do. He's probably the best touch passer in this draft outside of maybe Mayfield, but he actually has the velocity to rip it when needed. Problem is, he really can't control his fast balls, and he will get picked off at the next level as a result. His footwork is solid but can come unglued under pressure, particularly on his front foot with early weight transfers or uneven plants. He's taken a lot of hits, and that's probably to blame for this trait. His release is good and looks fairly crisp, though he'll wind up deep balls, which can be a tell to a good safety. I want to see him work on his spirals in those circumstances as well.

Leach's offense is as esoteric as ever. I think Falk is smart enough to handle an NFL scheme and the new route trees. The biggest issue that I can see is him trying to recognize protections and audibles, since the linemen are considerably more manual in the NFL, and the typical hot reads he makes will have easy responses from most DCs.

Quick Hits

Riley Ferguson - Memphis
Runs a very limited offense with very bad footwork. Toolsy enough to probably get overdrafted.

Nic Shimonek - Texas Tech
Looks like a generic Air Raid QB in the Harrell mold. Career backup.

Mike White - WKU
Looks pretty decent from an accuracy standpoint but completely physically underwhelming.

Kenny Hill - TCU
Maddeningly inconsistent air raid QB who will look decent at the combine but can't deal with pressure or the pocket at all.

Ryan Finley - NC State
Love his game, but somewhat underwhelming physically. Doesn't throw interceptions. Needs to show that he can stretch the field vertically, but could easily move up in the class.

JT Barrett - Ohio State
The monkey's paw wish for the desire to be the smartest quarterback of all time. Would be physically outmatched by some high school guys, but very cerebral quarterback. Worst arm strength of anyone here.

Grier/Fitzgerald/Browning/Stidtham
Shouldn't come out. Are stupid if they do.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Grier definitely won't come out this year, but what are your early impressions of him?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Thanks for the write up.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Where do I even start with the Browns needs? Change owner, management, coaches, players....except Joe Thomas. He's okay but older now. Is it theoretically possible to draft management?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Gatts posted:

Where do I even start with the Browns needs? Change owner, management, coaches, players....except Joe Thomas. He's okay but older now. Is it theoretically possible to draft management?

Have your city prosecute Haslam for corruption/racketeering/whatever, seize his assets & place team under public control?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Gatts posted:

We can hope Jimmy and his wife get convicted on those fraud charges the FBI have brought. His company defrauded the feds to the tune of around 200 million and trucking companies for amounts I don't know off the top of my head.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/breakingnews/story/2017/sep/29/democrats-strike-pilot-legal-woes/451891/
http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/local/2017/02/13/whistleblower-claims-pilot-flying-j-fraud-cheated-feds/97847462/
http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/crime/2017/10/25/pilot-flying-j-fraud-conspiracy-trial-delayed-cause-under-wraps/798035001/

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Those are really good write ups and now my hopes are high. I am ready to be diappointed!

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

TheGreyGhost posted:

He's also probably the most vocal "gently caress trump" guy in college football
Sounds to me like Rosen owns.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Super Fan posted:

Sounds to me like Rosen owns.

Seems like it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Vomit. Keep drafting those measurables and toolsy QBs who cant play football.

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/931206641860665345

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Diva Cupcake posted:

But he's so tall!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Josh Allen was really good last year and I have no idea what happened

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

a neat cape posted:

Josh Allen was really good last year and I have no idea what happened

What happened was is his luck ran out. All last year he was roping the same passes he was doing this year but his accuracy and decision making issues are bringing him back down to earth. Back in 2000 Josh Allen would be an undisputed top 25 selection, now he seems like the typical poster child QB that flames out spectacularly despite his arm.

Also Josh Allen has the strongest arm in the draft, probably.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I guess the comp is a more pro-ready Mahomes?

quote:

"Just based off what I saw last year, I think Allen is more talented than Mahomes. I would take him over Patrick Mahomes. I think he's got better feet, quicker feet, he's more natural," Jeremiah said during the latest Move The Sticks Podcast. "He's under center, so in some of those things, he's ahead of Mahomes, but they have the same strengths and the same weaknesses."

Jeremiah wasn't necessarily as big a fan of Mahomes as were the Kansas City Chiefs, who traded up to make the former Texas Tech star the draft's No. 10 pick. In fact, Mahomes wasn't on Jeremiah's final pre-draft list of the top 50 prospects. Analyst Bucky Brooks sees Allen as less of a developmental project than Mahomes, as well.

"To me, Allen would probably be able to get on the field sooner than Mahomes," Brooks said. "If both guys had to play right now, I think you could probably win more games with Allen, because I think Mahomes is going to have more turnovers."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

that's one of the biggest piles of garbage i've read in a long time about a college qb lmao

Doltos posted:

What happened was is his luck ran out. All last year he was roping the same passes he was doing this year but his accuracy and decision making issues are bringing him back down to earth. Back in 2000 Josh Allen would be an undisputed top 25 selection, now he seems like the typical poster child QB that flames out spectacularly despite his arm.

and Brian Hill graduated

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Zerilan posted:

Grier definitely won't come out this year, but what are your early impressions of him?

Just noticed this:

He's very much a beneficiary of the West Virginia system in the way that a lot of guys like Geno Smith or Clint Trickett have been, not in terms of stat padding but just what the system covers up. He puts up great vertical stats, but his deep balls hang a lot. I like a lot of what I've seen of his 5-15 yard game, but he doesn't step into throws consistently, so he'll leave balls behind guys even if the throw's on time, particularly when he's under pressure. It's the difference between catching a ball on the back hip and the front of the hands. I also absolutely despise the way that he gets taught to read right now, because he basically stares down receivers based on down and distance and doesn't move past 2 options a lot of the time. If he's red zone, he's staring at Sills. If he's got a big down, he's starring at White. If he's got a bunch of space to work with, he's staring at Jennings. Modern air raids do call for specialized receivers, but I'm pretty sure I could gameplan him in about 5 minutes just by bracketing specific receivers at different points.

His arm mechanics are great, and his footwork when he's not under pressure looks really nice. I don't think his arm is very big, but he should at least be able to zip within 20 yards enough to hang on a roster for a few years. His best case is being an Andy Dalton type who gets so good at near game that his deep passing doesn't matter. Worst case, he's out of the league in a year or two with no ability to handle pressure or place balls. I think he turns out to be a Colt McCoy/Case Keenum type who will get some slightly improved accuracy but otherwise just doesn't have the juice to consistently be a threat.

Doltos posted:

Also Josh Allen has the strongest arm in the draft, probably.

I can't help but see Cardale or like Josh Freeman with more arm when I watch him now. Cutler and Grossman both showed better accuracy before being drafted. Dude is like destined to be the next Hackenberg at this point.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Hello Jets fans. Remember last time our teams both drafted quarterbacks?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diva Cupcake posted:

What a hilariously bad assessment. Daniel Jeremiah is usually better than that but Bucky Brooks is a complete hack.

First off, Mahomes footwork was astoundingly good coming out. All the weird rear end throws he was getting off in college was because his feet would instantly go from rapidly moving to perfectly planted on the run. When he loads up in the pocket he has the classic drop back footwork of a NFL QB.

Second, Josh Allen's a total plodder. He scrambles a lot for short yardage situations in their offense and it's like watching Peyton run. His feet aren't quick in that regard.

And then finally if you believe anyone would have more turnovers than Josh Allen in a rookie setting then I don't know what to tell you.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

He really zeroed in on the rookie who had no chance of seeing the field this year, huh? so brave.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Guys let's just ignore Allen struggling to move the ball against the mighty gauntlet of Mountain West defenses, he'll be great at the NFL level because uhhhh tools

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

fsif posted:

I remember being so relieved that we didn't pick Nassib, but puzzled why we didn't pick Geno Smith. Little did I know that drafting a QB that year was like playing Russian Roulette with a fully-loaded revolver.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

fsif posted:

Cardale Jones and Christian Hackenberg?
Geno Smith and EJ Manuel?
Jeff Blake and Matt Rodgers?
Kenny loving O and Shithead Jim Kelly?

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Jim Mora Jr loving sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Benne posted:

Guys let's just ignore Allen struggling to move the ball against the mighty gauntlet of Mountain West defenses, he'll be great at the NFL level because uhhhh tools

:colbert:

• Locked thread