Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The real kicker is that this ending seems happy, but maybe the girls are just following their programming, or maybe Sayori is just trying to push you away. There's no way to know for sure.

:cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Roar posted:

If you were hoping for the 'happy' ending, this is your time to jump ship. Unbookmark this thread, clear your history, and forget that you read these last few sentences. Today's update is the last semblance of happiness that Doki Doki Literature Club will eake out. There is only something much, much darker coming.

If you continue on from this point, you do so with the understanding that no one in the game will have a happy ending...especially your very dearest and best friend.

If you're okay with that...see you tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJOEmV7yT2w

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
All right, I admit, I cried at the 100% ending. I dunno why, maybe it's the whole "You savescummed just to make sure we were all happy?" combined with the music. Maybe I'm just a big softie. But hey, I cried.

And absolutely gently caress the "ending" coming up next. It's over, happy end, we can visit our friends in Literature Club anytime we'd like off-camera, as far as I'm concerned this is absolutely what happened.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Really Pants posted:

The real kicker is that this ending seems happy, but maybe the girls are just following their programming, or maybe Sayori is just trying to push you away. There's no way to know for sure.

:cry:

I always felt like the latter because of the whole 'delete ability to play game'.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
It feels like a tacit admission that games have to run out of content eventually, and the player who gets to this point really has seen everything you'd want to see anyway.

Besides, it's not like it's hard to "fix" the game.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

quote:

This image can be manipulated to read the text per the wiki, though I have no idea how they go about doing that and they don’t go into detail. Here’s the text
The black bars are a sliiiiiightly different shade of black then the text hidden inside it. so just using a magic wand/fill tool with the sensitivity jacked up to max will let you reveal the message inside it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Thanks for doing this LP, Roar! I never would've checked out the game otherwise, and I'm really glad I did. Even a couple weeks later, it's still in my mind constantly.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Snorb posted:

All right, I admit, I cried at the 100% ending. I dunno why, maybe it's the whole "You savescummed just to make sure we were all happy?" combined with the music. Maybe I'm just a big softie. But hey, I cried.

And absolutely gently caress the "ending" coming up next. It's over, happy end, we can visit our friends in Literature Club anytime we'd like off-camera, as far as I'm concerned this is absolutely what happened.

I'm still a little bit salty Prince of Persia 2008 didn't stick to their guns on the "you can just stop plying the game" angle.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Cuntellectual posted:

Funny how someone brought up NieR Automata.

Apparently they weren't the only one who thought of it.

That seems more like a "put together two things that are current" than any significant reference. But as long as we're on the topic....

Nier: Automata is the fifth game in a franchise that was started by a game called Drakengard right after the Square/Enix merger. Drakengard has a very similar flavor to DDLC in that it starts out as a pretty standard example of its genre (high fantasy, in this case), gets darker and darker as the game goes on, and then takes a hard left turn into some really weird poo poo. I'd recommend playing it for yourself, but that's probably hard to do since it was two console generations ago, and in terms of gameplay, it's genuinely awful. Fortunately, there's an LP you can read, or a couple recaps (part 1, part 2) if you want to hear an explanation of the game to a blind and increasingly confused audience.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

That seems more like a "put together two things that are current" than any significant reference. But as long as we're on the topic....

Nier: Automata is the fifth game in a franchise that was started by a game called Drakengard right after the Square/Enix merger. Drakengard has a very similar flavor to DDLC in that it starts out as a pretty standard example of its genre (high fantasy, in this case), gets darker and darker as the game goes on, and then takes a hard left turn into some really weird poo poo. I'd recommend playing it for yourself, but that's probably hard to do since it was two console generations ago, and in terms of gameplay, it's genuinely awful. Fortunately, there's an LP you can read, or a couple recaps (part 1, part 2) if you want to hear an explanation of the game to a blind and increasingly confused audience.

I'm not sure if you meant me, specifically, but not only did I play Drakengard when I was like 13, I share a name with a major character from one of the games. :v:

Before you ask, every joke possible has already been made.

Ismene
Apr 26, 2012
Pillbug
One fun little factoid is that the stacktrace the Sayori sequence shows you references a different line than in the traceback.txt (307, rather than line 289) . The stacktrace you see during that sequence is just an 'image' declared at the start of that scene, since an -actual- Ren'Py exception would take up the whole window and not go away until dismissed by the user.

code:
image exception_bg = "#dadada"
image fake_exception = Text("An exception has occurred.", size=40, style="_default")
image fake_exception2 = Text("File \"game/script-ch5.rpy\", line 307\nSee traceback.txt for details.", size=20, style="_default")

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Cuntellectual posted:

I'm not sure if you meant me, specifically, but not only did I play Drakengard when I was like 13, I share a name with a major character from one of the games. :v:

Before you ask, every joke possible has already been made.

OK, Nowe.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

You are unfortunately close.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Why would you acknowledge that?

Don't be a Nowe.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
For a bit more elaboration on what happens day 2:

If you don't piss Yuri/Natsuki off by being slavishly devoted to one of them (say, if you go after Sayori), Mitsuyo actually gets to read both of their second day poems. After hearing both, and the explanation behind them, he makes a comment about how the other person wrote a poem on the same general idea (a hobby other people might not understand). Whoever he's talking to goes "huh, I should talk to her about that". Offscreen, they talk to each other about it and decide to come back with a poem explicitly about the same thing - the beach.

I'm pretty sure the idea there is that they're starting to become better friends with each another just before things start going crazy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Dawww, that's pretty sweet. :unsmith:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cyouni posted:

For a bit more elaboration on what happens day 2:

If you don't piss Yuri/Natsuki off by being slavishly devoted to one of them (say, if you go after Sayori), Mitsuyo actually gets to read both of their second day poems. After hearing both, and the explanation behind them, he makes a comment about how the other person wrote a poem on the same general idea (a hobby other people might not understand). Whoever he's talking to goes "huh, I should talk to her about that". Offscreen, they talk to each other about it and decide to come back with a poem explicitly about the same thing - the beach.

I'm pretty sure the idea there is that they're starting to become better friends with each another just before things start going crazy.

And if they agree on the beach thing and you've been picking poems from the same girl all game, then you see the romance poem, but the protagonist mentions that this is a second poem she wrote just for him, not the same one she showed the rest of the class.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

chiasaur11 posted:

And if they agree on the beach thing and you've been picking poems from the same girl all game, then you see the romance poem, but the protagonist mentions that this is a second poem she wrote just for him, not the same one she showed the rest of the class.

Yeah, I think there's a hidden scoring system beyond just "who liked it most". Like if you pick 20/20 Yuri words then Natsuki will hate it and refuse to show you hers or just do the "next!" dismissal we saw in the LP. But if you pick 11 Yuri and 9 Natsuki then you'll get the Yuri scene, but Natsuki will still show her poem allowing you to get the Beach poem. Or something like that.

The real interesting thing is the equating of "Amy Likes Spiders" (about Natsuki being bullied for liking manga) and "The Raccoon" (about Yuri's cutting) because, as we all know, anime is blood

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Mazerunner posted:

Yeah, I think there's a hidden scoring system beyond just "who liked it most". Like if you pick 20/20 Yuri words then Natsuki will hate it and refuse to show you hers or just do the "next!" dismissal we saw in the LP. But if you pick 11 Yuri and 9 Natsuki then you'll get the Yuri scene, but Natsuki will still show her poem allowing you to get the Beach poem. Or something like that.

The real interesting thing is the equating of "Amy Likes Spiders" (about Natsuki being bullied for liking manga) and "The Raccoon" (about Yuri's cutting) because, as we all know, anime is blood

It’s not entirely hidden. Natsuki has a lot of dialogue for different scores and how much your score changed from the last poem. The character icons always pop up when you pick a word to let you know who likes it best, so you can keep track of it that way.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

There is one crazy scene we didn't get to see I was kinda hoping we'd cover.

I don't want to violate the spoiler policy, can I post it after the Final Ending?

EDIT: Also, I feel bad Monika doesn't get a happy ending.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Someone's making a mod that gives Monika a route of her own; Dan Salvato gave his approval.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Snorb posted:

Someone's making a mod that gives Monika a route of her own; Dan Salvato gave his approval.

He knows how to make an anime girl happy.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I don't want to violate the spoiler policy, can I post it after the Final Ending?

I'm...decently sure said crazy scene is the final ending.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Cyouni posted:

Pretty sure he's talking about Yuri's third scene in Act 2 that Roar completely skipped over.

I was hoping too, it's probably the funniest scene in the route.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I think those Monika route people should call off the project. The previous attempt did not end well at all.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Nah what's the worst that could happen? A gestalt of Monika emerges and makes the internet Just Monika?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Annointed posted:

Nah what's the worst that could happen? A gestalt of Monika emerges and makes the internet Just Monika?

sounds like an improvement

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Super Jay Mann posted:

Pretty sure he's talking about Yuri's third scene in Act 2 that Roar completely skipped over.

That's deja vu, right?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Annointed posted:

It's us. We are all Monika.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Cyouni posted:

As far as I'm concerned, Sayori's heartfelt "please come back and visit anytime" was the definitive and final ending, but like I said before, maybe I'm just a big softie.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

haha, you weren't kidding, I just went and saw that one and it's amazing

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Snorb posted:

As far as I'm concerned, Sayori's heartfelt "please come back and visit anytime" was the definitive and final ending, but like I said before, maybe I'm just a big softie.

Well, it won’t be final for us. :unsmigghh:

Super Jay Mann posted:

It’s also really sad despite how funny it is. She knows she always had problems, but she also knows what Monika is doing to her, which makes her shift all the blame away and become unable to stop it.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
this is why i'm amused by people who like, keep the monika character file around on their flash drive

it doesn't contain any information having anything to do with her, the entire characters folder is just easter eggs used as flags for certain events. you're carrying around a spooky ring of fire with an enigmatic message from someone else entirely, that's all the file is.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I am glad I binged this entire thread through the filter of an SSLP.
Even if it's late at night before I go to bed.

Hats off to you Roar for doing it!

Now :dunkedon:

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

If you’re talking about deja vu scene, sure, knock yourself out.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Another little touch about Sayori's calendar is that not only is one month entirely crossed out but the month after that is completely loving empty -- Sayori knew she wouldn't be around by then so she didn't even bother to put anything in her plans, even school stuff that she'd know about ahead of time

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I'm way behind but someone deserves an award for the Natsuki Vomiting in Horror sprite.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Roar posted:

I have no idea what any of you are talking about but I do like ddlc fan art :3:

On one of the in-character Twitter accounts fans created. Isn't the internet wonderful?!

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

MillennialVulcan posted:

I'm way behind but someone deserves an award for the Natsuki Vomiting in Horror sprite.

From the game files. Spoilered for those who are not up for seeing vomit again.

Some people have, uh, modified this image in a hilariously predictable way. I'll refrain from posting it here.

Snorb posted:

On one of the in-character Twitter accounts fans created. Isn't the internet wonderful?!

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Roar, when the thread eventually hits the LP Archive, any chance that there'll be a collated "DDLC fanart goes here" post?

• Locked thread