Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

ChaosArgate posted:

No? She's pulling a Joseph. Monika's doing the Jonathan pose, while Yuri's got her best Jotaro going and Natsuki's doing a Josuke pose.
My confusion was caused by this (since I saw this pic before it got posted in thread)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

:discourse:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

speaking of jojos

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

I guess that's what happens when Natsuki becomes club pres.

Instead of tearing the others girls down, she body-builds herself UP

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

I guess that's what happens when Natsuki becomes club pres.

Instead of tearing the others girls down, she body-builds herself UP

Somehow I don't think Yuri would get into an argument with her.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I can't not hear "X Gon' Give It to Ya" when I look at that.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

Mechanical Ape posted:

I can't not hear "X Gon' Give It to Ya" when I look at that.
Nat gon' give it to ya
She gon' give it to ya
Nat gon' give it to ya
She gon' give it to ya (WHAAT!)

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

I have been known, in the past, to overdramatize events; it’s possible that I’m doing so again in this situation. If that’s the case, I apologize for overhyping an event that might not be that big a deal. I fully understand that some scenarios are more intense for some than others, and this might be one of those times. The last thing I want to do is drum up unnecessary hype.

That being said, I just want to make my thoughts known on it. Games like this don’t usually stick with me that hard. I played through Spec Ops: The Line without much more than a little annoyance. I regularly pick the jerk option in games and don’t generally mind when bad things happen to good people. I used to speedrun Undertale genocide mode without much more than precursory guilt.

THIS is the scene that’s stuck with me…and the scene that will probably haunt me for a long time. It’s not a long scene, but it’s potent.

If you’re not ready to feel super bad about causing a good person unnecessary anguish…bail now. This is my last warning.

This particular ending only works with a fresh install of the game (I think), but here’s a quick note. The game says that you need to reinstall it in order to replay no matter what, but you can also delete the file called firstrun in the game folder and it accomplishes the same thing. Useful if you don’t feel like reinstalling half a gig multiple times because SOMEONE keeps deleting your game file saves when you’re TRYING to LP A GAME MONIKA.

Hey, as long as we’re in the game folder, though…

Let’s redelete the Monika file. We’re now going to be starting Doki Doki Literature Club without Monika included in any way.

Note that this one of the only situations where messing with the CHR files actually does anything (other than during the main ending, of course). It would be pretty neat if there were more changes that happened if you were to delete, say, Yuri – but it’s unfortunately not that advanced. A little bit of wasted potential, but it probably would have required a lot more programming than Dan Salvato was prepared to include. Oh well.

You’re going to need to delete your previous save data on this screen.

Peace out, happy ending. You never existed.

BGM: Doki Doki Literature Club!

The game starts normally.

You’ll need to put in a new name. For some reason, the intro screen doesn’t recognize that Monika’s gone – a shame, considering that that particular opening graphic is already in the game files. Again, oh well.

I didn’t skip any screenshots. The game cold-opens on Sayori.

I highly suggest that you watch this scene via the following link. You don’t really get the full effect unless you’re hearing the jaunty tunes of Ohayou Sayori playing in the background…plus, well, what comes afterwards.

http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Doi0R2KaBpQw&autoplay=1

BGM: Ohayou Sayori!

The game shuts down at this point automatically.

So…you guys remember when Monika was deleted in the main ending, and Sayori took in all of the experiences and memories from her mind when she became president of the Literature Club?

That didn’t happen this time.

Our friend Sayori, who was already extremely depressed and nearing the verge of taking her own life, was just given the gift of truth that she is a computer character in a video game…a meaningless file of 1s and 0s with no greater purpose than to fall in love with the player character. Monika accepted this information with as much grace as she could manage given her programming.

Sayori, though…

BGM: A record skipping effect (similar to this)

Sayori only sees one way out from here. This screen does not advance and there is nothing beyond this point – only grey nothingness and Sayori’s forsaken corpse. Restarting the game will give you this same result every time.

A lot of people blame themselves for what happened to Sayori in Act I when they really had no choice in the matter. Monika’s influence, along with Sayori’s own mental state/programming, drove Sayori to her unfortunate end. The PC had no control over it whatsoever.

This, however, is different.

WE caused this.

We gave Sayori the forbidden knowledge that she wasn’t ready for, could never be ready for at this state in the game. We drove her to that unfortunate end needlessly, and there’s nothing we can do at this point to change that fact. We can restart the game by deleting firstrun or reinstalling, of course, but this knowledge will forever be with us that – in one timeline, at least – Sayori died as a direct result of our actions.

Why have I shared this with you? Why have I brought you to this end? A part of it is thoroughness, of course. Team Salvato programmed this, after all, and documentation on this game should include it.

I think a far greater, pettier part of me wants others to experience the information that I know. Misery loves company, after all.

If, for some reason, you want to watch Sayori hang around for at least ten minutes, a small message appears on the screen.

When Sayori shut down the game earlier, she also deleted the CHR files that remained: Natsuki, Yuri and herself. She had no intention of either of them experiencing the same fate. It was her last act of kindness in the world that, like what we’ve seen in this ending, has become a bleak and barren hell.

I’m not sorry for bringing you here.

This is a path we all chose.

Now we all live with these consequences.

That’s all.

Thanks for watching.

Roar fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 7, 2017

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I guess we're all just at a Loss for words. Truly the forbidden knowledge was for just Monika.

Congratulations on the lp!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Is this the real life?
What if it's just fantasy?
Caught in the dark side,
No escape from Doki Doki.
Open your eyes,
Look up to the sky,
and see...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

oh loving hell :argh:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That last god drat image is the perfect way to close out this LP. Fantastic job!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Now this is the kind of thing there could have been more off, though I understand why making all kinds of permutations depending on when and who you delete might be too much. :D

And yep, great LP!

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 3, 2017

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mega64 posted:

That last god drat image is the perfect way to close out this LP. Fantastic job!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Honestly that's a pretty good way to punish the player for trying to be too clever.

Sometimes playing games is harder on the game...

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 3, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Also now that we've got this ending I just want to say this game really gets a lot of mileage out of the "Sayori hanging herself" image.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
A literature club is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for school girls to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the harem than on the protagonist. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and hang.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Nah, I'll just be content knowing we savescummed to make Sayori, Natsuki, and Yuri happy, and we're welcome back any time.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I was expecting the sad ending that ruins it all to be something like an indication that all those characters are still experiencing Monika's living hell while they're deleted. So any time you aren't playing the game you're indirectly torturing the four girls, and eventually you'll put it down forever. Luckily, that doesn't seem to be the case.

This is a pretty stark ending, but it certainly loses its punch to see it as an LP. I wonder if part of the reason it hit you so hard, Roar, is not only that you're responsible for it but it was your idea. The game never hints there's content if you delete Monika before starting, you had to come up with the idea yourself, and Sayori died for it. While you probably would never have known Undertale even had a genocide run if someone else hadn't told you about it and Spec Ops is just the normal gameplay.
For us, we're just seeing the content presented to us, and you making it happen is no different than Monika doing so.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It actually does progress to something. After around 10 minutes or so, it changes to this.

I appreciate how after all the drama, emotional turbulence, and feels of the LP, you chose to end it on the image you did. Good show, Roar. :golfclap:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Reading this thread now. Just had the suicide update, and the one after. Enjoy my ramblings and predictions and when I catch up to this post, I can see how accurate I was.

Even before the 'glitches', Monika was kind of fourth-wall breaky, and letting on more than she knew. And there's a few of her lines that seem rather more sinister in hindsight. She's told us she 'hears everything' and talked about the game being translated...

I'm thinking that the 'get out of my head' poem was about more than suicidal tendencies. It parroted back some of the MC's words and it seems really odd that Monika would have it. So I'm thinking Monika has some kind of weird power going on, possibly relating to 'editing' the game's files.

And that's got me wondering what else is going on with that... and whose actions are actually their own. Did Sayori actually hang herself? Was she actually depressed? Maybe Monika copy-pasted that part of herself over, or something, and done the same with her own self harm to Yuri, and whatever Natsuki's deal is going to be?

That part is just because this game has been pretty real and intense with it's stuff about depression so far, and it would be a major fumble for Monika's actual motivation to be as simple as having MC to herself, or taking over the world.

Also, Sayuri is talking to us through the poems, so I'm guessing she's not as wiped-out-of-existence as Monika thinks.

Non-reality-warping glitchyness aside, if this was simply a story about Sayori's depression and watching it from the outside, I'd kinda want all the routes to end with her suicide. The MC's thoughts about "what could I have done differently" while a fairly natural response to any sudden shock, is still doing what he has with her depression all along: Making it about himself. When it's not all about him, it's about her, and everything else she has going on. And as tragic as it is, given that the game takes place over less than a week, there's probably nothing different he could have done. Even if he'd known, the only way to prevent it was probably kicking in the door and cutting the rope.

TV program that handled depression and suicide most realistically: House MD, because it comes right out of nowhere, and House spends the rest of the episode convinced it was murder because he didn't spot any signs of depression.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'll see if I can get the deja vu cutting and the shadow of Monika up this weekend.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
That's not what I expected, but it fits much better.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:master:

It's been a hell of a LP, Roar. Thanks so much for doing it.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

:five:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Wow. I'm... surprisingly okay with this ending. It's sad, but now, it is very obvious from the first screenshot of Sayori that this was gonna happen. So I'm not scared this time, but I am sad that this breaks her.

That being said...

Mega64 posted:

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah, 'speedrun route' loses a lot of its impact in the LP format. I triggered it by accident and was not happy with what I had done.

That last image is a work of art. Doki Doki characters also make for useful Discord emoticons:

If there's anything to take away from this game, though, it should be Just Monika.

AfroSquirrel fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 4, 2017

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

AfroSquirrel posted:

If there's anything to take away from this game, though, it should be Just Monika.

Not my nep neps too....

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Nep in hell.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
You know, maybe Dan Salvato saying they're not going to continue the story of the characters in DDLC is because the fans are gonna do all the work for them, by letting Monica hijack other games for herself.

I am totally okay with that.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Like I said before, some fans made in-character Twitter accounts for Sayori, Natsuki, and Yuri, and that's entirely how I'm perceiving the story continuing.

(Can you tell I hate the "now everyone can be happy" ending?)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Snorb posted:

Like I said before, some fans made in-character Twitter accounts for Sayori, Natsuki, and Yuri, and that's entirely how I'm perceiving the story continuing.

(Can you tell I hate the "now everyone can be happy" ending?)

If it makes you feel better, it's not the canonical one, presumably, as Salvato said in an interview that he felt like going with a happy ending would have cheapened it.

Annointed posted:

Nep in hell.

There can only be one waifu.

Just Monika.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
There's no happiness in the Literature Club. :allears:

Thanks for the LP, and good job. loving Monikammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The canon ending is kinda happy in that the girls get to leave the game. We're not really sure where they go but given the existence of Monika's twitter I think it's reasonable to assume they go some place where they don't have to follow the script or love the player.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

If it makes you feel better, it's not the canonical one, presumably, as Salvato said in an interview that he felt like going with a happy ending would have cheapened it.

It does.

I do agree with a "100% everyone's happy, just this once, Rose, everybody lives!" ending would be out of place, but I'm content with the "you savescummed just to make us all happy" ending.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The canon ending is kinda happy in that the girls get to leave the game. We're not really sure where they go but given the existence of Monika's twitter I think it's reasonable to assume they go some place where they don't have to follow the script or love the player.

They followed her onto Twitter (and Monika kinda found her way into the King's Quest VI Let's Play.)

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Monika just needs to get some pointers from The Final Pam.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Snorb posted:

They followed her onto Twitter (and Monika kinda found her way into the King's Quest VI Let's Play.)

Wait what

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Fans created Twitter accounts for the rest of the Literature Club; @sayori_chr_, @DokiNatsuki, and @Doki_Yuri seem to be the three most popular ones.

As for Monika, DoubleNegative used her character portrait instead of Morgan Freeman's photo as the narrator when reading a book of poetry.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Ah. The first part I know about. The second is new to me; I'm not following that LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only thing I'm hoping for is that this gets a japanese release :getin:

• Locked thread