Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

With the DnD stream picking them up for Stranger Things + the current Freezo-venture: Have they gotten slotted in for the long haul by WoTC?
Or are they going to get kicked off again for a while once the freezo series wraps up?

I'm pretty glad for the extra content though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Their picture-in-picture mode for HeroQuest was pretty neat, and seems like a good way to show off boardgames.
Now, if they'd only start streaming at >720p that would be great, but I guess Australian internet isn't capable of that.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I do hope Hing gets more random, lovely, bargain bin magical items, because it's just wonderful how he's trying to shoehorn those glasses into being useful.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Y'know, I feel like Dragon Friends does the additional NPC voices through Ben, Edan, and guests so well that it's kind of disappointing that other podcasts don't do the same.
I've currently started on Dungeons & Daddies*, at the suggestion of someone on the Dragon Huddle, and yeah. It feels weird not to have an 'additional voices' person, after mainlining DF for a while.

*Not a BDSM podcast.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Oh hey, looks like they managed to pull the entire group up for Hell Freezo-s Over, The second season. (Probably because they're streaming for DnD officially, to promote new upcoming material.)

It would be great if they can keep Ben around for the entire season, (since it's paid by DnD and all.)

( https://www.twitch.tv/videos/477093677 )

e:
"Oh? So how are you going to describe that on a PG-13 stream?"
Ben gulps.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 5, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I have to say, going into a stream where you know the rough beats Ben & Dave are going for is pretty interesting.
I really hope they do more of those pre-show-planning sessions for various one-offs and the like in the future.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

uvar posted:

I've been listening to the main podcast, and I'm on their patreon so I get the recordings of Beef Babes... but have I been missing out on a bunch of content by not paying attention to Twitch?

Fake edit: Checked their website and there's a whole Twitch section there and plenty of other specials I somehow missed. Hoo boy, I'm set for a while.

Yeah, and the Beef Babes is up to it's 14th episode per today.

I'm super glad they're doing a good job of giving an overview of everything on their site, since it's pretty scattershot the various one offs they've done, and where to find them.

(Apparently the site's even gotten updated since last I checked.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, it helps that he's an actual comedian who knows how to leverage it, instead of someone trying to be as tryhard as edgelord can be.

It also helps massively that everyone involved is ready to pick up what everyone else is laying down, and account for it.

And unrelatedly, considering how many garbage magical items there are in DnD(tm)(r)(c)("The only Roleplaying game allowed to have popular Podcasts."), Dip in the Bag is an amazing and excellent mechanic. Way more fun than just rolling for a level-appropriate item off a dull list.

Especially with the 'Here's what you could have gotten.' roll up towards it.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Psychepath posted:

Also a thread about the start of season 6 and their upcoming streaming changes. (Tom's running a one-shot)

https://twitter.com/drgnfrnds/status/1216930607382446080

Neato.
And it's good that they're moving their timeslot a bit, seems like they're willing to go a bit more in on building a twitch following.

I wonder how many more people will tune in now that it's at a sensible time in the US.
(Though unfortunately I can't tune in anymore, if it's going to start at ~3-4am on a sunday. Atleast I can wake up to a brand new stream.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I would not say no to a full-fledged accountants and actuaries one-shot

Absolutely.

I really hope there are more downtime episodes, everyone hopping in to do adlibs in the board meeting was wonderful.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

They did drop an interesting spoiler towards the end of the downtime stream, for Season 6:

Looks like Banknote will only be in the first 1-2 liveshows, before the return of Freezo.
I really wonder how that'll work out in regards to the adventures of the Beef Babes.
If we'll be following Freezo at 2 different points in his life at the same time, or if he'll end up leaving the BBs.
After all, the series feels like it's been shifting it's focus from Freezo to Bethanee.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

geri_khan posted:

That'd be a downer, I've really been enjoying the dynamic of Banknote being part of the main cast. Still Hing but just a different enough flavour of Hing to feel fresh.

Of course, I couldn't get mad if they phased him out in a funny and satisfying way, which they likely will. And if Freezo returns to DF, most likely scenario is Banknote joins the BB of course.

Unless Freezo murders him. We can never really count that out.

Yeah, I do hope Li-Li and Freezo end up swapping spots if he does get replaced. Though it would be strange to have Bushu hanging around there without Freezo to anchor him there.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Also wow. I've been listening through the old series again, since I originally listened to like, the first 4 seasons back to back while working on a project.

And hooh boy is it much harder now, because of whatever ad-deal they have going now.
Originally it was just whatever ads they read up in-podcast.

But now there's an ad at the start, middle, and end of each podcast, and because I'm norwegian there's only 2 loving ads that run.
One for a tabloid shilling it's podcast, and the other for the podcast network shilling a questionary/survey they're running.

It would be less annoying if not for the fact that pocket casts + listening on a desktop means the only way I can skip is by navigating back to chrome, open up the tab, and press the next button.

I really wish the patreon allowed for an ad-free rss feed of the podcast. (I believe it was asked about on stream once, but Dave was unsure how it would be in regards to their network, if they provided an ad-free variant.)

e: Ooof I had almost forgotten Andrew Hansen in Waterdeep/pedocleric. Ooof.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 25, 2020

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

geri_khan posted:

It's a couple of extra steps, but I've found that if you DL the mp3 from the website there are no ads.

EDIT: poo poo, I just tested and they must have changed that :(

Threep posted:

Thanks for reminding me to download the whole feed while there's still no ads here

Yeah, you should probably hop on and grab them.
As for downloading ones from the network directly without any kind of ads, you'd need to somehow access the original source. The ads are inserted before you download after all, so how you download them doesn't really matter.
(Podcast programs just point at the audio file online, same as on the site, after all.)

Though I suspect that if some regions don't have ads, explaining why Threep doesn't have them, then you should be able to VPN to somewhere without them, and download them ad free that way.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

But yeah, that downtime session was really interesting, and I'm curious how everything will come together once the season premiere proper is up.

Also how things will go in regards to DF vs Beef Babes, extra so since it felt like Dave didn't manage to push through the arc he had been hoping for there.
If he was planning on having them complete the mission they set out to, there might have been some way he intended to tie it into the main podcast.

inthesto posted:

I'm not sure what Eurovision is, but pumped for Montaigne either way.

It's a big yearly song competition between mostly European countries, you've probably seen or heard songs from it without knowing the context, since the oddball songs tend to generate some memes, etc.
Australia ended up there as a one-off thing in 2015, but stuck around for whatever reason.

Montaigne popping up there is pretty rad, best of luck to her.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

For anyone else who was curious as to when the streams would start up again:
Looks like Dave's house got smashed up a bit from the Sydney floods, and is currently being refurbished.

https://twitter.com/drgnfrnds/status/1233983190521376768

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ah, seeing Dave in a npc/co-DM position while sleep deprived really let the mask slip.
"Oh please, you have no idea how long I've wanted to kill Freezo."

It was pretty adorable how psyched they all were to finally be in a room together again.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I really love the slower pace of the new beef babes streams, lower stakes per episode, and more character time.
Bethanee and Freezo are also developing a great, adorable rapport.

I'm still super glad that these things are going, and seeing Philge and Bobby work through the trauma of the season 4 finale on one side. (Their little heart to heart a couple episodes ago.) And Freezo possibly working through his trust issues through his friendship with Bethanee.

Really curious what'll happen in the future when Freezo again meets the Dragon Friends, especially since Dave was pretty specific about the BB streams happening a few months before s6 proper.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The newest DF twitch stream has been a kind of off-the-cuff chat with Edan and Dave, a bit of talk about DF, a bit about BB.
A bit of a look over the characters and their growth. And some look into their worldbuilding, especially in regards to the Beef Babes.
They answered a couple chat questions but kept forgetting about the chat and went off on their own tangents.

Apparently Hyperion Max is perpetually they/them because Demi refuses to let Dave see the character sheet, because she knows he's annoyed that he doesn't know their pronouns.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/681246093 for those curious.

Unrelatedly to that, it still reminds me how much I wish some other Tabletop podcasts would pick up the multi-DM setup DF has, it just works so well.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The newest Beef Babes stream is a 100% accurate representation of working in retail/customer service.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

Started listening recently and it's pretty great. Sadly I can't seem to make 3x15 download as anything but an empty file though for the past couple days.

https://thedragonfriends.com/episode/season-three-episode-fifteen/
It worked just fine for me right now, you might want to grab it just in case, though it would be very strange if just one specific episode was down for a while.

Downloading it also worked just fine.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

For anyone who didn't know: They recorded a podcast ep/session live on twitch a few days ago.
Aka 6.13-6.14, which is the newest + next podcast ep.

https://twitter.com/drgnfrnds/status/1293121165024620545
https://twitch.tv/706884925

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I absolutely love how the last 15 or so minutes of the 'not-greece' side-adventure the Beef Babes went on ended up having massive canon-shaking consequences.

And a peak Dave-Hing-Freezo moment.

blackshreds posted:

drat, the Beef Babes stuff is so good. Did Dave take the descent into Avernus stuff and make his own adventure or what? I haven’t played D&D very much so I’m not familiar.

Honestly, he used the setting for it basically, and that was the end of it.
The campaign that follows the book focuses on heroes from Waterdeep ending up getting mixed up in demon v demon wars.

While Dave redirected it instead to support to 'war of the heavens' thing he's been building towards with the Beef Babes.
So yeah, his own adventure in the setting basically.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The newest Beef Babes stream has Montaigne as a guest, by the way.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/757364501?filter=all&sort=time

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Working my way through the FTAGH backlog, it's kind of strange finding an episode where they rip into the concept of livestreamed funerals (e87), being that it's suddenly heavily contrasted by how they've just kind of become a fact of life overnight this year.

My aunt's funeral was one for example, a couple weeks ago. Due to 'max people allowed at event' rules.

e: Also goddamn Edan has been knocking the voices and characters out of the park the last 2 beef babes episodes.
I was not aware he could summon up such potent mean girl energy.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 11, 2020

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/drgnfrnds/status/1329261001003335680

quote:

"You're the one who suggested doing a Frozen parody, Hing. Are you telling me you don't actually know the plot?"
Stream keeps on being great, too.
If they keep going on with 30+ ep seasons of the beef babes, they could honestly just start posting a podcast episode basically weekly year round, at this point.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 20, 2020

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

The other is the Beef Babes, which is a parallel campaign to the main adventure, which chronicles what happens to Freezo after Season 4, and featuring new characters from the rest of the group. Currently in its second season.

I imagine ToA would be the one to start with since they made it first (and there's fewer eps to catch up on than the beef babes) but it's not too important, watch whatever strikes your fancy!

BB is actually done with it's second season, and they'll be starting up an entirely different campaign next year. (They're slowly reuploading the videos to youtube, but the streams in their entirety are on their twitch channel archive, which probably amount to like 60 podcast-episode lengths ish.
Has 1 solid arc that they finished up last week.

The 2 seasons of ToA are absolutely a good place to pop by, they're noncanon, but are supposed to happen roughly in the middle of S3.
There's also a handful of other bonus stuff which as Ainsley points out, should all be findable on their site.
(A bunch of one-offs, and special streams for comedy festivals, that sort of stuff.)

Order really doesn't matter, as long as you've finished s4 there's no spoilers or anything.
I guess If I were to do them now... maybe a couple of the oneoffs, then a season of ToA, then a couple more oneoffs, second season of ToA. And then BB.

Honestly, with their twitch stuff spinning into gear they're making enough content that they could update the podcast weekly, year round. Even more so if they ever hit their patreon goal and double up the main seasons.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I mean, unless they do something politically disastrous, I imagine streamers etc get a pretty wide margin of leniency, because it's so separated from the material they actually present.
Anything coarse is just blamed on the people presenting it, as opposed to the material itself. And they get some additional leniency due to australians being expected to be a bit more coarse than americans.

I also suspect they have a big bonus in being one of few english-speaking groups that can do streams and etc in their respective timezones, letting DnD populate their twitch around the clock, even when US or EU streamers might not be able to.

Additionally, due to the whole satanism hysteria in the US ages ago, I feel like DnD as a brand can afford to have some coarseness, since anyone morally offended by it (overlap with anyone who would avoid a product due to a coarse presentation online.) would already be avoiding it.
(While the real fact is that they should be avoided because they're a lovely company that shelters and enables terrible fuckin' people.)

I guess that is one thing I kinda wish for: That they'd dip their toes more into other systems. But I can understand the unwillingness to do so when they've got WotC sponsor money at their back. (And a worry that the players would take ages to learn those systems as well.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

They managed to livesteam the Freezmas christmas special, by the way.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/840332790

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Oh huh!
Their patreon is at >3000usd/mo, which means they've hit the 'Weekly episodes during the season!'- tier.
Unless they start doing twice-monthly shows, I imagine that just means that they'll be rolling out stream/beefbabes/streamcampaign2 episodes to the podcast weekly.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, and I got the feeling Beef Babes was supposed to be a 1-year arc thing, but then, in true Dragon Friends fashion, they spent more time getting sidetracked than ontracked.
During the finale he was pretty explicit in that Beef Babes was finished, but they might come back to it later. The next stream campaign is going to start at level 1.

It would be pretty rad if they managed to run with new campaigns yearly to keep it accessible, since that is still like 20-40 episodes worth, depending on how regularly they stream.
(I still wish they'd try out other systems for oneshots and mini-campaigns etc, but as it's been mentioned in the past, most of the players don't really understand or engage with the mechanics.
I think Dave, Jordan, and Edan are the only ones that could really handle suddenly working with a different system, barring stuff like 1-page RPGs without getting turned around. )

Has there been any mention of when the Show might be hitting? I imagine that's taking up a lot of time and resources.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

New season just dropped.

https://twitter.com/drgnfrnds/status/1359401429220265985

Part 1: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/908289188
Part 2: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/908328764
(I think? Dave you're bad at setting up the video files.)

Also the regular twitch stream is rolling up next week: The Gribbitz Detective Agency.
https://twitter.com/drgnfrnds/status/1359464630951714816
That is a very neat approach, a pretty big cast they can just keep rotating in and out as people get busy with other stuff.
I wonder if that also means that they'll have rolling, different DMs depending on the party? Both Dave and Ben have characters, after all.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 10, 2021

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The new stream campaign has also started: The Gribbits Detective Agency.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/917426491

Featuring: Ooops! All Dudes, and Ben with an actual character sheet. (Alex was sick, so Ben subbed in for her.)
https://i.imgur.com/xnqn3ZL.mp4

e: With the Gribbits Detective Agency they aim to have everyone DM at some point. (With the exception of Hing.)
I wonder if that also extends to the rarer guests.

e2: Dave claims it'll be weekly 'for the rest of the year', meaning like 80+ episodes probably. Seems like he'll be fastlining them to youtube a few days after recording, but I dunno when they'll propagate to the podcast.
(It'll go out to patrons on moday. )

SubNat fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 19, 2021

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It only took the Gribbits Detective Agency 2 days/3 streams to become enemies of the state, that feels like a record.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Sounds like the best solution would be to make a new wiki and make sure Dave or someone has admin/managment rights so that the wiki doesn't become useless because someone lost interest in managing it for the third time.

In other notes, they streamed another podcast liveshow instead of Gribbits-ing thing week:
Podcast ep 3: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/943888901
Podcast ep 4: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/943918460

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Speaking of Demi, she's one of the players in this week's Gribbits session:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/952514330
https://twitter.com/drgnfrnds/status/1372038693565788160

It's also worth nothing that Edan's the DM for this set, and Dave is just a normal PC, so I'm curious how that'll pan out.
(DM: Edan. Players: Hing, Carlo, Dave, Demi.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The Gribbits stream yesterday featured the feared power couple:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/978511715?filter=all&sort=time

https://twitter.com/drgnfrnds/status/1379644871095459843

I haven't watched it yet, but I imagine it'll be just utter chaos.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I've been listening through the older podcast seasons, and I'm amazed that acast here in norway has so few active ads (for dragon friends' audience, possibly?) that they just keep running the 'YO YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN PODCAST.' one.
Which I take as a diss on the Draggos. 'Look at this, even these fuckers can do it, make your own podcast today!'

And yes, Dipshit was unexpectedly wonderful, and I'm curious how Dave is going to handle the progression between sessions considering how much of the cast won't be there for the next one.

But next week they'll be streaming another set of podcast recordings, by the way.
They learned their lesson and they'll be recording it, then streaming the recording to twitch after the fact, because the internet at the venue is terrible.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/drgnfrnds/status/1382222923956514818

So, they're doing a watch-stream for the podcast ep 5+6 live session.
If my watch-checking is right, it should be going live roughly 4.5 hours after this post. / in 4.5 hours.

I'll probably just catch it on VOD after the fact, but for anyone who wants to catch it 'live', there's the option.
(They're explicitly trying to do this at a US-friendly timeslot too.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, it's the second one. They had some issues sharing it on Patreon due to vimeo issues.
Which makes me wish they'd just post both, since the first one was great fun as well.

There's also some more Gribbits-ing afoot.
https://twitter.com/drgnfrnds/status/1384743736723210241
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/995314649?filter=all&sort=time