Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I listened to the entirety of The Dragon Friends over the past couple of weeks. It's been a wild ride.

It was nice to see some familiar names on the guest list, and even more unfamiliar ones- reckon I'll be checking out Hing and Ben's show next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I don’t know if it’s restricted from other countries or whatever, but a couple of days ago the ABC (Australian) uploaded a Tom Walker comedy special to their iView service.

It’s very odd and includes a performance of Me Meow. I really enjoyed it.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I’m catching up on the Tomb of Annihilation streams and I’m honestly super surprised that Freezo hasn’t tried to use the airship (or indeed, any of the ships he stole) to piss off back to the Sword Coast.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Good ep. Some good Baston kicks.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

There was an excerpt from the Gribbits Detective Agency posted in the McElroy thread and I really appreciated how much the narrative text captured Dave’s voice.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I've been re-listening recently just for some noise to fall asleep to, and the reaction to (end of S2 spoiler) the return of Edvard Ostwick is one of the best moments in the whole show.

Roach Warehouse fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 10, 2018

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

In case anyone hasn't seen it, there's limited video of that encounter here:
https://www.facebook.com/thedragonfriends/videos/1886264548323945/

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Psychepath posted:

Did they ever talk in tomb of annihilation Q&A or on twitter about Edan Lacey joining the podcast full time? Baston has all the trappings of a throwaway character for the time when Ben was away early season 2, but Edan has such a heart-grew-3-sizes presence. Yet he's still not quite a player character since he does NPCs as well. It's an interesting dynamic.

In one of the Q&A’s they told an anecdote about how Baston/Edan ended up just sticking around, and when their pin designs included Baston, he declared something like “now you can’t get rid of me!”

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I foolishly assumed Dave would be bullied less when he was absent.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

inthesto posted:

As much as Ben and Edan mocked his speaking style, Dave is still definitely the best narrating DM out of all the actual play podcasts I listen to

Yeah it cuts both ways, he speaks/narrates with a particular inflection and rhythm that makes it easy to parody but its also super entertaining in its own right.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The crowd went nuts for Freezo's crit in the latest episode, in a way I was unprepared for and delighted by.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Well, fantasy’s hard.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

God I hope they tried/were able to get Carlo to bring Edvard back for part 2. This could be our only chance.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Chongus is incredible slang for dick holy poo poo Australia

As a lifelong Australian I'm just gonna put it out there that I had never heard the word until I started listening to these folks podcasts.
Obviously, it felt right immediately though.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

At this point I can't imagine anyone more appropriate than Freezo as the final boss of the Dragon Friends' adventures.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

They’ve announced new dragon friends pins on sale at PAX this week. Immediately got my mate to buy them for me.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

My housemate and I are still grappling with the very challenging episode of bst on Dolphins.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

SpacePig posted:

I don't think I fully get bst, but I guess it can be entertaining. Someone in this thread said it might as well be called "Tom Walker and Demi Lardner are loving and Want You to Know About It", and that's basically rang true in the few episodes I've listened to. However, with Cum Egg, it occurred to me that I'd probably listen to a podcast that was just Tom reading the worst things he can find on the internet in the most serious voice he can while Demi just hoots and hollers in the background.

e: I guess that would just basically be Lou Reads with a little goblin laughing along.

You’re in luck, because that’s become a recurring feature.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Once again Dungeon Dave proves himself the most dangerous of the dragon friends when he’s untethered from responsibility.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Some great Tim Winton content in the new ep.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Some peak Hing like 10 minutes into this.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

If Hing records his audio from the senate chamber, will FTAGH be the first podcast with parliamentary privilege?

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I only caught about 20 minutes of it live, but my favourite bit was the image of Freezo spending all night ‘Star Wars Kid’-ing with the greatsword.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I finished episode 2 of the stream, and they're finally almost at the part where it starts becoming stranger things-related, so they're working at a breakneck pace on that one. It's kind of jarring watching Jordan play, because she's actually quite good at D&D and swiftly makes very smart choices with her turns and it's like you're watching an entirely different podcast for a brief moment. It pairs especially well with the moment where Simon reveals that after 5 years of play, he doesn't know what hit dice are

Similarly, big fan of the bit in Tomb of Annihilation where a fight is going poorly so Baston starts crying about how they’ve forced him to fight effectively, then performs like 4 ruthlessly efficient attacks in one turn.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Great episode. Absolute highlights for me were the gloves, Smiggins Smiggins, and no one acknowledging Dave referring to Hing, the player, as Freezo.

I’ve also been keeping up with When Hell FreezOver on twitch, which has had some great content. When I tuned in last night, Bethanee was being frantically badgered into preparing a catering platter.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Banknote’s not even pretending to be a good boy anymore, is he?

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Was on the DF website today, and their photoshoot pic on the 'about' page is killer.

On a random note, I think I'm past due for a new avatar, and am kind of tempted to use one of the character images from the OP.
I'm thinking Freezo or Baston, but just need to come up with an accompanying quote. Anyone have any faves?
E: Nevermind, sorted.

Roach Warehouse fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 15, 2019

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Looks like Hing's been at UCB recently, because I'm 99% sure that's him in that "Bloomberg dance' video that's been making the rounds recently, so that's one step closer to getting PFT.

(https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3a88ej/these-are-the-comedians-behind-the-fake-bloomberg-dance-viral-video)

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Genuine tension when rolling the Gribbits Crit! Also loved Hing’s reaction to that bit, and to Banknote Lives.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Also Tom “Greatheart Banknote” Cardy rules.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m listening to the most recent FTAGH (with alexei toliopoulos) and there is an all-time twist in this one

Anyone who hasn't already should do themselves a favour and check out Alexei's own podcasts. Finding Drago is phenomenal (and quite short), but Total Reboot and Mike Check are consistently hilarious too.

E: Also, in case anyone missed it, on Saturday night a bunch of Aus podcasts including Dragon Friends, Total Reboot and BST.png are gonna play werewolf on twitch. Should be good for a laugh.

Roach Warehouse fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 1, 2020

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

There’s not a huge amount of content on the FTAGH patreon yet, but it’s cheap (pay-what-you-feel I think) and what’s there is good. Especially Ben, Hing & Dave strategizing the “pick two animals, the rest is coming to kill you” meme.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The season final was very good. And I’m glad that the dragon friends are two-for-two on climactic Strahd battles flinging them through time.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

But if you’re the type of person who likes to watch a stream, the new stream game requires 0 foreknowledge and is typically chaotic.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I enjoy the Gribbits Detective Agency a lot as a platform for bits, but I think the rotating format does kind of result in the gang never really getting much done. I guess that’s dragon friends though babyyyy.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Catching up on the most recent chaotic GDA, and this is amazing. It’s like half an hour of bullying and recapping classic bullying.

Also hug the sun rules. I can confirm it’s VERY Perth.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Watched Demi’s special while home sick yesterday and can confirm it has a perfect fever dream quality.

Also had a laugh at this season’s Vinegar Pimms subplot where Dave effectively bullied himself into destroying his only weapons piece by piece. (The 5e thread in tradgames is currently arguing the merit of critfails in dnd, but who comes to Dragon Friends for rules, right?)

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Alex Lee for taskmaster IMO - the only one who can pull off high status without being immediately bullied.

Someone like Carlo Ritchie for taskmaster’s assistant.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I want to say an episode with Alexei Toliopoulis, because they maybe talked about him helping name it?

I also wish I could track down every time Demi tried to recount Baby Shoes Never Worn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I’m basically here for any sesh that involves vinegar and trenessa sniping at each other about their relationship