Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Drunkboxer posted:

I'm only part way through the second season but it's impressive how despite having tons of combat the show never seems to slow down or get unfunny. Even when the everyone keeps rolling low and missing, making the fight drag on forever, they still make it pretty entertaining.

one of my favorite things about the show is doing initiative ahead of time and dave usually doing a very good job keeping the combat urgent feeling. i assume some of this is due to tight editing in post but they do a much better job than most other rpg podcasts i've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Calexio posted:

I'm listening through the first three seasons again and the first appearance of Johnny Playstation is still one of the funniest things I have ever heard.

dave's increasing frustration as tom walker just keeps going and going is easily one of the best moments in the show

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

inthesto posted:

Spell One is revealed during Tomb of Annihilation season 2. Dave picked out a very, very good spell for her.

I love both Demi and Tom on both Dragon Friends and FTAGH, but bigsoftitty.png doesn't hold my interest. I need more to a podcast than just generic comedians talking to each other.

please, it's more like a queer lady and a mime behaving like hyper children to each other

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

LentThem posted:

Holy poo poo I reached the Season 3 reveal yesterday while I was out running errands and said "What....the gently caress Dave?" at the same time as the players did.

"Dave, are you- are you making me kill myself and my friends right now? Dave?"

I kinda wish Freezo had taken the deal, just to see what it did to the podcast. Hing was already having trouble wrapping his head around Freezo killing people in a world where he (Hing) exists, the mindfuck of him being forced to play as an older version of himself might have broken him.

that reveal was one of the best things they've ever done (all of the other best things are johnny platstation)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I feel like the music was definitely improved in this episode, but I still miss Benny most of all - dude was just brilliant at doing things on the fly.

Like, I assumed more of it was cut in after the recording until I saw their ToA videos online, turns out he's just extremely good live.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Not Operator posted:

Michael Hing is a pro-gamer and initially treats D&D like he's trying to win it. He tries to rules lawyer here and there, but its still pretty funny. You can actually pinpoint the exact session after he reads the players handbook if you pay attention.

as far as I could tell, Dave is very happy that Hing doesn't realize he can use Eldritch Blast at will

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SpacePig posted:

I honestly don't think Alex knows she has a weapon either. She forgets she has rage, she constantly improvises weapons for no real reason, and is somehow the best iteration of "wacky, unhelpful D&D character" basically by merit of Alex doing things that she thinks Philge actually thinks will be helpful. She has a really good idea of exactly what Philge is in this story, and isn't just doing random poo poo for the sake of randomness.

it's not the most original joke but i still love the running theme that philge's combination of being both very dumb and incredibly confident in all things makes her a natural leader that regularly stumbles into positions of authority

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

LentThem posted:

I'm only up to episode 26 in that podcast but man there are already some amazing bits of backstory for these guys.

Hing: "When I was a child, one time my mother punished me by locking me in a chicken coop for 3 hours. Since then I've never been scared of birds...except maybe American Eagles."

On this note, just listened to episode 73 where Hing explains that his mom didn't allow him to drink from water fountains because she was an insane germophobe, caught him drinking from a fountain at school, and made him drink a whole liter of milk as punishment.

Ben: "The more I learn about your childhood, the less explicable your character becomes."

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

inthesto posted:

They pull in a bit over 1k a month on Patreon, so there's obviously a sizeable fanbase there, but nothing even approaching heavyweight status. I really want more people to discover the podcast, because at 3k a month, they'll start doing weekly releases.

the most surprising thing to me is them saying they just can't get advertisers, it feels like i've heard a lot of less successful podcasts with ads

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

inthesto posted:

Aren't podcast networks supposed to take care of securing sponsors?

Dragon Friends had a few sponsors over the course of season 3, but Benny definitely had thinly veiled contempt while reading the copy for a few of them, so that might have had something to do with it.

yeah it's weird - maybe they're holding out for some dnd sponsorships like critical role has now that they've been featured a bunch by the official dnd people, instead of going for audible or w/e

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

inthesto posted:

Anyways, this is video is now canon Baston:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMcnpXZIFmA (warning: contains a lot of edan rear end)

this is extremely good

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tom's reveal of how he designed the wizard dave told him he'd play was fantastic

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Not Operator posted:

because they keep calling her an eight year old boy and a living goblin.

then you get to the episode with an uncomfortable amount of fisting talk

Not Operator posted:

It's incredibly funny, but keep it in your earphones at all times.

this is correct

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Between this chatter and dave plugging the podcast as "it's super gross and i hate it" I am now officially compelled to see what you all are talking about (unbelievably, it is on itunes)

it's the only hyperobscene comedy podcast i'm aware of with a standing offer that you can personally email the host if you have an eating disorder and need someone to talk to

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

This is well timed news, I was just getting bummed about being out of content.

Also yeah it’s bonkers that they keep getting to do this, considering....everything about them. But this is good

I can't wait to see how they horribly screw up this heist for other groups involved.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Baller Ina posted:

bigsofttitty.png, or Tom Walker and Demi Lardner are loving and Want You to Know It

lmao they mention that dungeon dave sent them a screenshot of this post in the new episode

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

inthesto posted:

The knucklehead sociopath (i.e. Hing) gets maimed or killed every single season, and it's hilarious.

what's his chongus like though?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

A fun meta game to play with dragon friends is to try and figure out if hing is trying to cheat on purpose, or if he just genuinely misunderstood the rules. The best is when the audience catches him though, yeah.

Also re: last episode spoilers: if a character is going to die, I’m ok with it being Bobby. Not that he was a bad character, and simon’s great, but of the group, Bobby had the least instantly-identifiable funny stuff going on (the jazz werewolf thing hasn’t come up since season 1, has it?) so it’ll be cool to see what Simon comes up with for a new character.

This was only the first episode of the recording session though, right? What’s Simon gonna do for the rest of it if Bobby’s dead, I wonder?

i kinda keep wondering whether Simon's still particularly interesting in playing Bobby. I may just be getting the wrong impression since a lot of the cast has been in and out for the last few months due to various travelling obligations, but it feels like he's been getting quieter and more one-note.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tsob posted:

I'm only 5 minutes in, but this episode has already had both Philge and Baston come back, while allowing Baston to make an entire song out of "I'm the Best!" so it's automatically a winner. I just hope Bushu shows up later. Hing laughing in disbelief in the background of Eden's song was great too. As was Alex's annoyance that all Freezo had to do was open the door and they could have walked out. And I still have 95% of the episode to go :holy:

oh my god this song lmfao what an entrance

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Testekill posted:

Freezo is immortal and trying to become a god

This bodes.... poorly

i love that once again dave has made freezo the main bad guy

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Working through ftagh in reverse order and I’m enjoying the slow reveal of the enigma that is Michael Hing. I lost it when he tried to casually float by the notion of heating up an apple in the microwave

i love how multiple people now (myself included) have basically looked to FTAGH as backstory to dragon friends - since the core mystery of Dragon Friends is 'why is Hing like this?'

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao demi's costume

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao her search history all sounds like it's written in character as philge

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

is freezo gone or is he the cosmic horror they are investigating

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

look in the mirror in the background

I hope they keep the setting a little simpler for season 5. 4 was fun, but the clusterfuck that is spelljammer, combined with the chaos that is dragon friends, made it a little hard to keep track of exactly what was going on. Not that it matters too much, nobody’s tuning into DF for a fantasy story (sorry Dave) but still

also the cast itself regularly forgot what was going on in the larger story. i mean, they forgot more often than they normally do

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Very strong opening, I’m into it so far. Dave has only himself to blame for what happens to him in this episode

lmfao I can't believe dave both told michael hing he could create whatever class and character he wanted, and also put the party in a position where they can give NPCs orders

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

inthesto posted:

https://twitter.com/hingers/status/1125666409000816641

Not gonna lie, after all the stories Hing's told about them, Hing's parents look the exact opposite of what I expected.

his dad's hair is incredible and that's exactly what i imagine hing will look like in 40 years

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

in this stream, everyone is playing new characters but Alex is playing Philge lmao

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

inthesto posted:

There's something magical about Philge going first and then doing nothing except drawing an opportunity attack

Always represent the Dragon Friends spirit :911:

Petting the bird then backing away respectfully is a powerful first move

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it's good to see that they can make bad decisions even without Hing

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/drgnfrnds/status/1131726153113165824

lmao the art

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

my god they're actually doing it

i turned this on pretty late but heard the part where Edan is co-dming on the stream since ben is too busy.

also i believe the streams will be at approximately 5am american eastern time

eke out fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 6, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

inthesto posted:

Hing looks so different without facial hair.

Also, note that since they're not Twitch partners, the stream archive will only stick around for five days. Watch it while you can! (Or somebody do a thing where you rip the stream and chuck it on youtube)

yeah, they seem to be working on it. i only caught the last few minutes but Dave mentioned being partners and thought people could subscribe, but you actually couldn't yet

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah which made it strange that Hing was pushing for consequences at the end. Maybe he didn’t realize how close he was to death by lizardman

I feel like you could almost hear Dave thinking "how can I give Hing the consequences he is demanding"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

LentThem posted:

But you're okay because you sent message to the fire warden except oh wait, you fired him and replaced him with a talking pelican you like!

look, say what you will about the other decisions, this one was smart

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

update: i love Bethanee

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

I was honestly quite impressed by the cabbages

any time Ben completely commits to some insane nonsense the cast has dared him to do it's incredible

that whole theatre sequence reminded me of the boy scout camp talent competition in the tomb of annihilation streams. and, like the TOA, it ended with lots of innocent people abruptly being murdered as a result of Hing

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

professor metis posted:

https://twitter.com/bencjenkins/status/1181748154003148801

really looking forward to the release of this one now

https://twitter.com/bencjenkins/status/1182067825449431041

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

Really as much as everyone loves to dunk on Hing for being...Hing...he does deserve props for making characters that normally would be absolutely insufferable super loving fun.

when i heard about this show, from the description of freezo, i 100% thought he was the dude i would hate lol.

but hing is so authentically and inescapably himself that it works even when it shouldn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm torn on Tom Cardy; on the one hand, I think he's really come to fill in the big shoes left behind by Benny Davis, but on the other hand, he's also really funny when he plays a character, so I don't know which I want him to do more

he's been getting good mileage out of the zelda soundtrack jokes