Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The McElroy thread turned me onto this podcast and it's everything I want a D&D podcast to be (except for the audio quality but I guess that gets better?).

I'm nearly at the end of season 1, and I lost my poo poo at the part where the evil duke walks out, and the DM is like "and you're now looking at the face of the man at the root of all your misfortunes" and someone says "Freezo?"

Philge is heads and shoulders my favorite but they're all very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wouldn’t normally mind it, except that I usually listen to podcasts in the background while playing video games and the episodes where they’re all coming in super super soft make it very difficult. But it’s worth the trouble.

At least season 2 seems louder so far

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've reached season 3, and although I generally appreciate freezo for what he is, I'm enjoying that the podcast has achieved a balance by evolving into a dunk-fest on Michael Hing.

I loved the bit where the crowd/rest of the cast booed him for one of his lame autism jokes, and then dave cut the tension with "this is a fantasy universe, vaccines don't cause autism here".

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Not Operator posted:

I cant express in words how much of a treat you're in for going forward.

I look forward to finding out what this means!

As much as I'm enjoying watching Hing squirm, I will say that his utter inability to remember what the overall objective of the adventure is at any point in time is extremely relatable to me, as someone who is also currently playing in a drunk D&D campaign

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm nearing the end of season 3 and I've had Johnny Playstation's girlfriend song stuck in my head for days. I wish I could have seen it live

Also, Edan Lacey laughing in the background is one of the most soothing sounds

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 25, 2018

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

While Freezo may be the obvious pariah of the group, I am enjoying how Philge goes out of her way to invent the most creatively unhelpful thing she can think of to do with her actions. Poor meegan

Another thing I like about this podcast is that they sometimes panic or get lazy and do something unfunny or mildly offensive, like any red-blooded drunk improviser does from time to time when they're performing for 2 hours straight, and the rest of the group will pull it out by dunking on them in a funny way, like Hing's autism jokes or some of the gypsy stuff in season 2. I still have a few episodes in season 3 to go, and the gang has reached a critical mass of cum jokes, to Dave's chagrin

Also, Simon sounds extremely like Jemaine Clement and I like that

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 29, 2018

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Or snagglepuss!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Can’t wait to see what powerful position of authority she’s stumbled into this time

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Not Operator posted:

I cant express in words how much of a treat you're in for going forward.

You were right

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nuebot posted:

I'm pretty sure you can pinpoint the exact session because he loudly shouts that he'd read the book. I'm very glad Hing is part of the crew because he's such a good balance to the rest of them. I love the times he'll make a lovely joke and the crowd's complete lack of a reaction is perfect.

The whole group dynamic (including the audience) is just great. There's definitely moments where Hing goes just a little too far, but the audience is good about reacting appropriately to it, and the rest of the group is good about giving him poo poo (firmly, but playfully) for it.

Season 3 is a case study of it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

LentThem posted:

Dave sounded so defeated for a while afterwards as he was forced to follow through on that narration and finally had to just be like "You know what Freezo? Actions need to have consequences, so here's what happens to you - and nobody else in the party knows about this"

One thing I've really liked throughout the seasons is Edan coming up with these stupid and elaborate actions for Baston to take, and then constantly failing his dice checks.

Also going "sick!"

One of my favorite moments in season 3 is hing trying to make a complicated stock market transaction in the middle of a panicked evacuation and Dave cuts him off with “you get trampled by the crowd and take 5 hit points of damage”

I love edan too; he has a very soothing background laugh. I also love how the dice refuse to allow him to land any of his fly kicks

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I got to the Montaigne song episode and about the last thing I was expecting from this d&d cum joke podcast was a genuinely good and beautiful song

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah, freezo is the obvious group pariah, but when you start to pay attention, you notice that Philge is a master class of doing the most creatively unhelpful thing possible with her turn.

There’s a moment in season 4 where the dm is playing philge because Alex isn’t there, and he attacks with her maul, and I genuinely had forgotten until that moment that philge actually has a weapon

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SpacePig posted:

Yeah, stick with it. Freezo being a huge piece of poo poo completely pays off at the end of season 3.

Yup, it's quite a thing. Don't stop.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

He's also a really talented DM, in that he manages to keep this absolute drunk shitshow of an adventure clipping along at a reasonably solid pace, while still letting the comedians have room to play, and also resolving combat mechanics with a bunch of newbies and not dragging the show down at all (of course, it could just be that they edit that stuff out, and I wouldn't know, in which case the editor is really talented too!)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wish I could get Ben and Edan to come over and play the npcs in my games

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’ve started watching the ToA streams and there’s something that just feels slightly meaner about the players tormenting Dave when there isn’t an audience to laugh at it. Also you have to look at him as he suffers, which makes it more personal. But I’ll get used to it.

And I’m only on episode 2, but they seem to have fallen back toward season one levels of knowing how to use microphones to create a consistently pleasing audio experience. Hopefully that gets better

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SpacePig posted:

They start getting a bit more of an audience as the thing goes on, so that sort of helps, but Dave being visibly crushed by 3-5 idiots at any given time is still something you'll have to deal with.

I mean, I knew what I was getting into, I’ll live.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Up to episode 2 of ToA, and every second of that talent show was incredible. Alex Lee slowly panicking as she realized she pimped herself into doing a half-orc rap musical was delightful.

Also, I'm enjoying having faces to put to the voices, but I'm getting very distracted trying to guess how old Benny Davis is. He's either a very stern 25 or a very gracefully-aged 50, I cannot tell.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 2, 2018

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pastrymancy posted:

Edan has the best laugh in the cast

And someone on the stream said he looked like Pablo Escobar and now I can't unsee it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Continuing my journey through tomb of annihilation; I absolutely loved Edan and the frog king doing drugs in the hot tub ("Yes! You get me! I'm SO glad I met you!")

It's criminal that this podcast isn't more popular than it is (I don't actually know how popular it is but whatever it is, it should be more)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

LentThem posted:

i hope "my blood is cum" stuff isn't interfering with advertising

also I'm up through episode 9 of the ToA stream and god drat Sir Grimsby Davenport is resilient

I mean, advertisers are willing to advertise on filthier podcasts, but I would worry about them getting too blue on the official D&D youtube channel content (e.g., all the frogs sucking each other off), I don't know what kind of tone they're hoping for with their guests.

Related, up to episode four, and I'm enjoying the absolute trail of destruction the dragon friends are leaving in their wake

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 6, 2018

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Not Operator posted:

Okay, Freezo's Funhouse was a goddamn mess.

Good mess or bad mess?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

inthesto posted:

How much do you like the show when it makes almost no progress because everyone's too busy raking Dave over the coals?

Because that's almost 75% of this episode.

Like most of the players, I have no idea what's happening in the actual story when it does progress so I'm good with this

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Continuing my tomb of annihilation adventure, and hing’s implausibly lucky d100 roll slayed me. “There is no justice in this world”

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wonder what Hing's offensive joke that got cut out was?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm going through S2 of tomb of annihilation now and I'm impressed with the crew for staying as lucid as they did for their 8 hour marathon session. That's usually the length of the sessions my group plays and we are...a little sloppier than that by the end. And loving hardcore cheers to the audience for sticking around that long, that's some dedication.

Also Tom Walker is hilarious, but having spent a few years in the improv scene (and slightly less in stand-up), he reminds me of the type of guy who's hilarious on the stage, but is difficult to be friends with because he cannot turn it off and you're never sure if your friendship is a bit, and you also have to worry about him making non-comedy people uncomfortable by taking jokes too far. I have absolutely no specific reason to believe that this is the case of course; I've never met the man in a social setting and never will, and I'd readily believe that he's a perfectly lovely and emotionally healthy person if you told me that, it's just a vibe I get.

Also uh are wizards of the coast cool with saying "oval office" on their official channel? I know Australians have a much more casual relationship with the word (as I understand it it's still not a great thing to say, but it's no worse than most other casual swears) but it still feels like a thing they'd frown upon. Although I guess the Dragon Friends got to do a season 2 after having an episode of frogs sucking each other off, so the line may be way further out there than I think. I'm not offended myself or anything, I'm just surprised how blue they're allowed to get on the official Dungeons and Dragons channel.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hughlander posted:

Can someone fill in a clueless person as to what we're looking at, what the original context is, and what the context is to Dragon Friends?

It’s from an old Japanese baseball game where they tried their best to come up with a list of generic American names but didn’t quite get it right: http://www.pressthebuttons.com/2017/03/meet-bobson-dugnutt-and-the-other-players-of-fighting-baseball.html

The dragon friends have been using it as inspiration for their NPC names occasionally; bobson dugnutt featured heavily in season 3 iirc.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rodyle posted:

Chongus is incredible slang for dick holy poo poo Australia

I'm nearing the end of tomb of annihilation, and it's awfully chongus-heavy as well.

Also, I cannot get over how unnaturally unlucky Edan seems to be with his dice rolls. It's to the point where I'm getting suspicious that he's like, using a d12 instead of a d20 and nobody's had the heart to tell him, or that he still doesn't know you're supposed to add an attack bonus to attack rolls (which I may or may not have gone full sessions without remembering in my early days).

But it's very on-brand and funny for him so I'm glad it's happening.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's also possible that he's not any unluckier than anyone else, it's just that he hams up his failures enough (a good thing) that I notice them more than the rest. I'm not keeping a spreadsheet or anything

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bogan Krkic posted:

Oh yeah, they had someone write a Handsome Man martial archetype for Baston and I think he later takes a level in monk because he kept refusing to do normal fighter things like 'use sword' and 'not fly-kick'

In one of the earlier episodes I think they mention that Dave tried to convince Edan to take a level in monk because he insists on using unarmed attacks instead of any of his weapons, but his response was "no, I have to earn it!" I believe this was the same episode where Philge learns "spell 1" and "spell 2."

I guess at some point Edan either decided he earned it, or that whiffing fly kicks is only so funny for so long (I still think it's funny) so he took the level.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I finished the Tomb of Annihilation stream: It is kind of funny how instantly they all started dying off as soon as they encountered not-softball challenges in a real dungeon that the crafters expect you to take seriously. I've never DM'ed a game, but I suspect that there's some validity to the claims that Dave is going easy on the gang in their normal adventures

On the whole I enjoyed it, though it was kind of a fizzle of a last episode; I wish that Ben or Benny could have been there, or that Alex didn't leave the room when Philge died so early in the episode (I assume she had a reason and that it wasn't just ragequitting). The guy who replaced Ben seemed perfectly nice, but he was no Ben Jenkins (and he also didn't have the literal years' worth of group mind to support him)

I hope they get invited to do more stuff, and that they'll be allowed to put the audio on their podcast feed next time

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is bigsoftitty.png on iTunes? My gut says no

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Are you suggesting that dragon friends is a podcast that holds back on the cum jokes

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Between this chatter and dave plugging the podcast as "it's super gross and i hate it" I am now officially compelled to see what you all are talking about (unbelievably, it is on itunes)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

eke out posted:

it's the only hyperobscene comedy podcast i'm aware of with a standing offer that you can personally email the host if you have an eating disorder and need someone to talk to

I feel like Chris Gethard would respond if you emailed him about that but his podcasts aren't hyperobscene, so this tracks

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

inthesto posted:

I just started listening to D&D Is For Nerds (same podcast network as bigsofttitty.png), and it really puts into perspective just how much Dave pulls his punches in Dragon Friends.

Any good? I'm rapidly approaching the last of the Dragon Friends content that exists (I'm watching the board game streams now, which are actually more fun to watch than I expected) and apparently I'm the type of person who needs a casual D&D podcast to fill a hole in my life

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wish Tom was just part of the regular cast, he’s amazing. But that would make the group a little large for a manageable d&d podcast, and I imagine he has his own stuff going on or whatever

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

inthesto posted:

The Dragon Friends are going to be on another official WotC show

I don't know how they managed to do it, but I'm not complaining

This is well timed news, I was just getting bummed about being out of content.

Also yeah it’s bonkers that they keep getting to do this, considering....everything about them. But this is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Does this mean that subsequent groups have to inherit character voices for NPCs too? Because this is a power that Ben cannot be trusted with.