Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Found this podcast last week and just finishing up Season 2; it's super entertaining. I think a big part of it is the DM not being uptight about stupid ideas and just being like "okay, roll for it then" and only really putting his foot down when bits are running too long.

Not Operator posted:

Ben only knowing five voices is the best. Laughing right now just at the thought of Dave asking for something refined and menacing, only for Ben to launch into his Droopy voice.

his Bogan Vampire was amazing and pretty much what id expect from a Borderlands villain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Just finishing up season 3 now, and I really like how Hing has corrupted everyone. Earlier in the show it was more about "Try and prevent Freezo from killing every NPC while we try to follow Dave's narrative" and now it's completely shifted to "Let's kill/rob/kidnap any NPC that interferes with the goofy roleplay we're trying to do while Dave tries to wrap the narrative around to make it fit"

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I just got to the end of season three and holy poo poo everything about that villain reveal.

Holy poo poo I reached the Season 3 reveal yesterday while I was out running errands and said "What....the gently caress Dave?" at the same time as the players did.

"Dave, are you- are you making me kill myself and my friends right now? Dave?"

I kinda wish Freezo had taken the deal, just to see what it did to the podcast. Hing was already having trouble wrapping his head around Freezo killing people in a world where he (Hing) exists, the mindfuck of him being forced to play as an older version of himself might have broken him.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I get the impression that Alex is missing the plot as much/as often as Hing is, but she covers it by just saying something hilarious and super random while Hing is just really confident about what he thinks is going on.

DM: As you rush into the security room of the hotel, the guards watching the security monitor turn to look at you in surprise and reach for their batons.
Philge: Oh I'm in a hotel?
DM: ....yes remember you were following the goblin Frandoo-
Philge: *interrupts* I kick over the monitor and I yell "TV bad for eyes, go play outside!" ...and then I grab a doughnut
DM: Um, okay-
Philge: Can I grab a doughnut? Do I roll for it?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

inthesto posted:

Tomb of Annihilation series where there's a lot of classic D&D-style puzzles. Philge is generally confused and frustrated by these

Oh poo poo I forgot about the "carry someone on your back" puzzle until you mentioned that. Still, that whole episode was hilarious since Benny kept making GBS threads on the Indiana Jones tropes that every puzzle was based on.

Benny Interjections are going to be really missed in season 4

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Now that I've caught up on this podcast it's going to hurt waiting 2 weeks between episodes. Ive still got tons of Tomb of Annihilation content to go through but I generally dont have access to youtube on my phone.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Tom Walker's 21st birthday gift is the best story holy poo poo

engraving it with his full name so he can never throw it away

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Not Operator posted:

If the kill Threep is talking about is wishing to Dave to kill the NPC from the historical society, and succeeding on the very unlikely roll to do so, then I agree it was amazing.

Dave sounded so defeated for a while afterwards as he was forced to follow through on that narration and finally had to just be like "You know what Freezo? Actions need to have consequences, so here's what happens to you - and nobody else in the party knows about this"

One thing I've really liked throughout the seasons is Edan coming up with these stupid and elaborate actions for Baston to take, and then constantly failing his dice checks.

Also going "sick!"

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Aha, the Freezo thing from my last post, I just realized Dave talked about it in the Episode 6 Q&A

"I was so rattled by that - When I say 'you have to roll a 96' that means NO but the dice showed me up"

Also he had plans for that character and now we'll never know :smith:

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
okay wow Ive been listening to that Story Club podcast as well and a couple of observations from that:

-Ben is really good at taking a 2-minute story and turning it into a 15-minute epic tale

-Dave being a SomethingAwful goon is not at all a surprise. Jordan also, really.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

inthesto posted:

In a semi-recent FTAGH, Ben was talking about getting into stand-up, and frankly the 50 oyster story is a killer of a closer joke.

I'm only up to episode 26 in that podcast but man there are already some amazing bits of backstory for these guys.

Hing: "When I was a child, one time my mother punished me by locking me in a chicken coop for 3 hours. Since then I've never been scared of birds...except maybe American Eagles."

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
The more i listen to Free to a Good Home, the more it feels like every Australian comedy writer/presenter/standup/improv aged 25-35 were classmates at university or shared an apartment together

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
i hope "my blood is cum" stuff isn't interfering with advertising

also I'm up through episode 9 of the ToA stream and god drat Sir Grimsby Davenport is resilient

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Watching the Youtube playlist for Tomb of Annihilation with Q&A has been a little weird since I'm at a completely different point chronologically in both the main podcast and in Free to a Good Home.

It's 2018 but I'm watching a Sep 2017 Q&A where theyre referencing Free to a Good Home episodes being edited/recorded, but in that podcast I'm only up to May 2015. So it's like I'm looking forward to a thing that already happened in the past.

gently caress

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I love that Dave has been super chill about DMing ever since the session where he got really drunk and ripped the gently caress out of Hing as guest DM

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

inthesto posted:

Dragon Friends episode of Dragon Heist is out: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/events/podcasts-waterdeep

Listening to these voices without any audience reaction at all will always be weird

Holy poo poo I just listened to this and wasn't expecting the crossover - When Usidore went into his introduction I thought I was listening to the wrong podcast

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
trying to work my way through bigsofttitty.png and tom + demi's very healthy relationship; if you listen to it immediately after tom's Story Club episode it makes for a super interesting timeline for his mother.

She's having breakdowns over the complete chaos in his life and probably thinking to herself that maybe Tom can find a nice girl/boyfriend that can really ground him; provide some stability to balance him out

And then she's introduced to Demi

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Not Operator posted:

bigsofttitty tend to repeat stories a lot, but its fine because I'll never tire of hearing about Demi's parents, two prison guards, one of whom was cheating on their partner, also a prison guard.

The first time that story came up was amazing because Tom didn't yet know all of the details so hes just tumbling down the rabbit hole alongside the podcast audience

Though I might be thinking of one of the other Demi Lardner Origin Stories that blew his mind in those early episodes of the podcast

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
gently caress yeah, just listened back and tom finds out the cheating part of the prison guard story at 35 minutes into episode 3
”A sturdy and charismatic cum that just needed to come out of dad"

I forget which episode talks about her childhood sleeping on a grimy patch of floor but that's also good

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Bogan Krkic posted:

Episode 89 of FTAGH has an absolute incredible moment where the guest Guy Montgomery accidentally reveals that he's a weirdo

holy poo poo i listened to it after this post and Guy collapsing in shame was amazing.

Also in that newest Dragon Friends, did the guest DM start to slip that the thing mounted on the starship's command chair is the key to the portal in Freezo's lab? Ben cut him off fast, but Im not sure if it mattered since Freezo is bringing the ship back to the tower anyway.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

eke out posted:

i love how multiple people now (myself included) have basically looked to FTAGH as backstory to dragon friends - since the core mystery of Dragon Friends is 'why is Hing like this?'

The same thing sorta happens if you've ever heard Hing's standup (for example the bit about sending his girlfriend a dick pic from the internet and thinking she wouldnt immediately know its not him even after he did some editing and cropping). The stories seem made up until you've listened to FTAGH and then you realize that no, that sounds exactly like Hing logic.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
good insight from a listener in episode 88 FTAGH

Jenkins: "Somebody had a great point about your brain the other day, a listener. They were like 'Michael Hing routinely understands about 80% of something quite complicated, but then the other 20% is so disastrously wrong that it kind of cancels out that 80.'"
Hing: "That's fair...I've read a lot of first paragraphs of books."

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Am up to episode 98 of FTAGH and theres some really good insight into how Ben became Ben

His mom is really into buying artisanal italian soft drinks
His dad keeps a bag of Pick'N'Mix next to the bed in case he wakes up in the middle of the night wanting some sweet treats

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
This first episode really messed with my head. Hing not being there at the start made me think he had other commitments or something, then ten minutes into the ep there was a very distinct Hing cackle coming from the audience and I started second guessing myself. Finally 15 minutes later he gets pulled onstage.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
i really want Dave to be right about the feathers/petals thing even though ive never heard it used that way in my life. unless maybe hes taking about featherflowers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verticordia

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I'm loving the complete turnabout in this episode where a character is losing their mind over accidentally killing someone and the rest of the party is like "dude its fine really, just move on. this happens A LOT"

Compared to that encounter years ago where they're trying to get cultist robes

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I love the narrative moment where dave is basically tipping the dominoes

All you had to do was go home!
The fire is now beginning to lap at the outskirts of the hamlet and is going unchecked because you stopped the bucket chain!
But you're okay because you sent message to the fire warden except oh wait, you fired him and replaced him with a talking pelican you like!
If only the commander of the watch could help you, a man who is missing because you locked him downstairs for no reason!

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
currently on part 1 of the Stranger Things stream and it's weirding me out seeing Hing without facial hair; its like when you see a stunt double in a movie

also theyve been playing for 90 minutes and the plot hasn't really moved. I've already forgotten twice that they were looking for philge and thats pretty impressive

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I now know the word "convivial" thanks so much Dave!

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Weeks later and I’m still giggling that Hing’s first reaction to Lionshield discovering he has a gun is to have him put it in his own mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Ainsley McTree posted:

And there’s this, too: https://twitter.com/bencjenkins/status/1246697305094254593?s=21

Looks like Tom cardy’s on there so while the vibe will definitely be very different from the live show, at least the music will be there (I assume, I guess he could just be playing a guest character) for some normalcy

oh my god time for context-appropriate virtual backgrounds