Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Halloween Jack posted:

If you're into kung fu film you can tell the difference between people who aren't even throwing punches like they're trying to hit each other and the ones who are really good at it. The kung fu in Fist of Legend isn't realistic by any measure, but they look like they're trying to hit each other. (And at that level, when you make a mistake, you get hit.) Expecting that from actors who aren't martial arts masters is unrealistic, though. I'd be pleased to see a Marvel movie where they don't cut away on every hit.

I forget why it didn't happen but Sammo Hung was Lucas' first choice to do the fight choreography in Phantom Menace and often wonder how different big budget Hollywood movie fight scenes would be over the past 20 years if we got that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

pospysyl posted:

I always liked to imagine that R2-D2 was force sensitive because he spent so long around important Force stuff, but it makes more sense for C-3PO, who's been around Force stuff literally since he was created.

R2D2 uses the force, but it acts through C3PO

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

I said come in! posted:

Rise of Skywalker hit the 1 billion dollar mark today. It absolutely doesn't deserve it though, it deserves to be a financial flop. At least it won't surpass the Last Jedi. Even Solo was a better movie.
No way. Solo is an okay television episode stretched out to feature-length. Episode IX is wall-to-wall fanservice that makes for an incoherent movie, but at least it feels like a movie. It had a lot of nonsensical dangling threads that went nowhere...but we're comparing it to Solo, right?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Solo is a soupy looking movie, I'll take the dated but at least bright and vivid environments of the prequels over that mess anytime.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

euphronius posted:

Well at least we will probably get more Star Wars movies sooner rather than later

That is the exact opposite of what we should be hoping for. LucasFilms needs to take further steps back from Star Wars for now. It was a good thing that a whole bunch of movies were canceled.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Calculating my chances of getting the missus to watch Ice Pirates this weekend...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Per Deadline, Taika Waititi is in talks to do a Star Wars movie.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jar Jar Rabbit

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Jar Jar Rabbit

It’ll be like the new Creed movie, but it’s Jar Jar’s son beating the poo poo out of people while trying to restore his father’s name.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gonz posted:

Opening title crawl

JENGAAR RUM, hero of the NEW REPUBLIC, has just exited a HOLOTHEATER playing a dreadful ALTERNATE HISTORY called RISE OF THE SKYWALKER.

With his BLASTER in tow, JENGAAR RUM vows to track down the makers of this film and give them their final MACLUNKEY

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/TaikaWaititi/status/1217968748180623360?s=20

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Jar Jar Rabbit

JoJo Rabbit was so good. I watched that a few nights ago and loved it a lot. I am disturbed with myself over how I liked wholesome imaginary Hitler.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Turns out the force is fueled by sex, cocaine, and misery.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jumped into ANH for a bit to check out a scene, and something that strikes me is that the movie actually lets its soundtrack do a lot of the heavy lifting. It feels a lot like a silent movie that had some lines and scenes inserted into it.

Rise of Skywalker didn't do that at all, the soundtrack was total penis and was just kind of there for the sake of being there. It had very little purpose other than reminding us that John Williams isn't dead yet.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also I jumped into Last Jedi for a bit and despite the rest of the movie, I really really like the parts with Luke and Rey. The Kylo and Rey scenes are also good, and everything between Snoke meeting Rey and Rey escaping from the ship is :discourse:

There's still a lot of good in TLJ, despite it faceplanting. It really doesn't deserve quite as much hate as it gets, and I still prefer it over Force Awakens and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over Rise of Skoker.

Comparing Force Awakens, Last Jedi, and A New Hope together: The Last Jedi is much, much better at capturing the cadence and style of A New Hope. Of all the movies in the sequel trilogy, Episode 8 is the closest to Episode 4. Pity about the last 30-45 minutes.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 17, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

wyoming posted:

Turns out the force is fueled by sex, cocaine, and misery.

Always two there are, unless you're feeling kinky.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Gonz posted:

Its a prequel movie about Jango just getting incredibly loving hammered for two hours and shouting at random people on the streets of coruscant while boba gets up to increasingly surreal shenanigans.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The Last Jedi is really good tbh. It doesn't have problems and people who like it are noble and fuckable

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Its a prequel movie about Jango just getting incredibly loving hammered for two hours and shouting at random people on the streets of coruscant while boba gets up to increasingly surreal shenanigans.
Hey, it's a Space Western...give us space El Topo.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Carnaticum posted:

It pretty conclusively settles the question of style vs substance. The prequels had a coherent vision behind them even if the execution was flawed. The presentation of the sequels was amazing but in terms of narrative it was a confused, confusing mess.

the prequels have so much style... so much style its wasted

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Jumped into ANH for a bit to check out a scene, and something that strikes me is that the movie actually lets its soundtrack do a lot of the heavy lifting. It feels a lot like a silent movie that had some lines and scenes inserted into it.
George Lucas has said as much a few times, that it is essentially a silent movie, with the dialogue being another sound effect. He is very, very focused on visual storytelling, so much so that he built a museum around it. The BTS article about Episode I underscores this: he wanted designs to be things you "get" on sight, without movie exposition, and without having seen it before in Star Wars.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Hey, it's a Space Western...give us space El Topo.

Bury the holocron of your mother and your toy, today you are a Jedi

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
We still don't have a Star Wars equivalent to the Meta-Baron.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

We still don't have a Star Wars equivalent to the Meta-Baron.

Prequel trilogy Anakin's hand is cut off and puts the moves on a woman that's like ten years older than him after a scene of him having a vision/possibly jerking off about his mom dying and then he strangles his own wife.

ESB Luke sees a vision of his dead mentor makes out with his own sister and his father removes his hand to be replaced with a cybernetic one all in one movie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Have too many movies ripped off Jodorowsky, or not enough?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Gonz posted:

He's going to be fired before the film is 25% done, lol. All they want is the most mass-marketable product possible, and that runs counter to directoral style.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

He was just approached, I don’t think he accepted.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I mean if he accepts, like, he directed Thor Ragnarok and has come back for the fourth Thor movie, the MCU is the most mass marketable thing in town so they're letting him back for that, I'd it doesn't run counter to his directorial style anymore. Nothing against him he's a versatile guy, just him getting Disney Star Wars seems totally reasonable at this point. If someone suggested it three or four years ago I'd have said no way in hell.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It brings me no joy to say this, but Taika Waititi is a sellout who absolutely would do a Star Wars movie if asked and would have no problems doing what Disney wanted.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 17, 2020

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm OK with pretty much any director getting it as long as they're going to actually direct and write all three movies or whatever and not hand it around and try to retcon each other based entirely on fan reaction.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

pospysyl posted:

It brings me no joy to say this, but Taika Waititi is a sellout who absolutely would do a Star Wars movie if asked and would have no problems doing what Disney wanted.

I have a hard time blaming him. Even aside from the money he will earn, I imagine he looks at JoJo Rabbit and realizes that's something that probably would not exist if he hadn't made a name for himself in big budget tentpole films. By spending a few years working for our corporate masters, he earns the ability to do things that very very few directors are able to make happen.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I have a hard time blaming him. Even aside from the money he will earn, I imagine he looks at JoJo Rabbit and realizes that's something that probably would not exist if he hadn't made a name for himself in big budget tentpole films. By spending a few years working for our corporate masters, he earns the ability to do things that very very few directors are able to make happen.

I don't blame him either. I actually kind of respect him for having an easy and fun time making Thor: Ragnarok.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

He's going to be fired before the film is 25% done, lol. All they want is the most mass-marketable product possible, and that runs counter to directoral style.

He’s already a Disney guy. I think he’ll be fine.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

pospysyl posted:

If doing that now meant that every few years or so I could get a smaller budget and do absolutely whatever the gently caress I wanted with it I wouldn't hesitate.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

homullus posted:

George Lucas has said as much a few times, that it is essentially a silent movie, with the dialogue being another sound effect. He is very, very focused on visual storytelling, so much so that he built a museum around it. The BTS article about Episode I underscores this: he wanted designs to be things you "get" on sight, without movie exposition, and without having seen it before in Star Wars.

Conan the Barbarian is like this too, it almost has more in common with an acid western than it does with other 80s fantasy movies (its sequel included). One of the more 70s movies to come out in the 80s.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Tarnop posted:

Hearing people talk about them and condense hours of tedium into an interesting-sounding story is far more enjoyable than actually experiencing them first hand.

This applies to 90% of the films

Just go all in on indie directors. I wanna see a coffee and cigarettes set in the star wars universe. Iggy Pop still has to play himself though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

This applies to 90% of the films

Just go all in on indie directors. I wanna see a coffee and cigarettes set in the star wars universe. Iggy Pop still has to play himself though.

I've always felt that like, Hollywood accounting ensures the execs make bank anyway, that if you make a $$$ mega budget movie and it "bombs," (i.e., makes under $1 billion), the penalty should be that you have to give some random indie director a one time permission to make a movie with that property in any way they please and a $150 million budget.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Neo Rasa posted:

I've always felt that like, Hollywood accounting ensures the execs make bank anyway, that if you make a $$$ mega budget movie and it "bombs," (i.e., makes under $1 billion), the penalty should be that you have to give some random indie director a one time permission to make a movie with that property in any way they please and a $150 million budget.

I don't get why they don't go for directors with good sci-fi under their belt. Let me see what Shane Carruth would do with star wars! If you need to go with an overrated big name, hell why not Villeneuve. If dune ends up being trash, you know he'll be available.

e: if anyone points to looper, i said good sci fi

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
or this guy

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0181903/

gently caress

panos cosmatos presents star wars x: attack of the lsd galaxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007