Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

zer0spunk posted:

I don't get why they don't go for directors with good sci-fi under their belt. Let me see what Shane Carruth would do with star wars! If you need to go with an overrated big name, hell why not Villeneuve. If dune ends up being trash, you know he'll be available.

e: if anyone points to looper, i said good sci fi

noone has any experience making scifi because JJ has absorbed all franchises into himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

zer0spunk posted:

I don't get why they don't go for directors with good sci-fi under their belt.

Because the producers and executives hiring the director do not care about making a good movie or furthering the genre, they want to make money risk free and a director with enough pull to say no runs directly counter to that understanding.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Have too many movies ripped off Jodorowsky, or not enough?
idk but every now and then I run a search to see if anyone else has picked up on TLJ's opening zoom really strongly resembling that one Dune animatic and nope nothing

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1218341896155582465

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:eyepop:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I refuse to believe James earl Jones was ever less than about 60 years old.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

NotJustANumber99 posted:

and never older than 72

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

zer0spunk posted:

panos cosmatos presents star wars x: attack of the lsd galaxy
Yeah but Tarsem Singh is gonna gently caress it all up in Episode XI

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

zer0spunk posted:

I don't get why they don't go for directors with good sci-fi under their belt.

star wars isn't sci-fi

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Bleck posted:

star wars isn't sci-fi

No one cares

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

the only real James Earl Jones is the one in the 843rd

:colbert:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I loved this tweet from last year:
https://twitter.com/EricaFails/status/1190314370032709633?s=20

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Was just thinking about how all three of Anakin's children have sacrificial ends but Threepio is the only one who gets weirdly bullied into it

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The sequel trilogy really doubled down on the lack of droid rights in the SW universe.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Speaking of threepio, did someone else do his red eye voice, or was that Daniels in a filter?

Also, it's weird that red-eye threep says explicitly that they need the sith dagger, but then rey comes to this conclusion independently later on. Some wires got crossed there :v

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ingmar terdman posted:

Speaking of threepio, did someone else do his red eye voice, or was that Daniels in a filter?

Also, it's weird that red-eye threep says explicitly that they need the sith dagger, but then rey comes to this conclusion independently later on. Some wires got crossed there :v

I'm pretty sure at this point Anthony Daniels is allowed by contract to disembowel any other person who tries to voice C-3P0. He kept doing it anyway, so they wrote it in to save paperwork.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

My favorite Anthony Daniels facts are that he gives poo poo to every actor on set who decides to do mocap instead of putting on a practical suit, and also that he apparently loving hated 3PO’s red arm for some arcane reason.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Anthony Daniels is one of the top grossing actors of all time because of insane luck.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

noone has any experience making scifi because JJ has absorbed all franchises into himself

Marvel has been making sci fi.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Marvel makes superhero movies, which occasionally use science fiction imagery. This isn't the same as science fiction.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

KVeezy3 posted:

Marvel makes superhero movies, which occasionally use science fiction imagery. This isn't the same as science fiction.

Who cares? The consensus-best Star Wars film was directed by someone with no sci-fi experience. What is the value of having worked in the same genre? There’s absolutely no demonstrable proof that that is helpful. In fact, the things that make the original films so good was the directors bringing a non-sci fi sensibility to the films. They hired JJ Abrams explicitly because of his custodianship of other sci fi properties and he made two massive turds.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

KVeezy3 posted:

Seems perfect for Star Wars then

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I have information that will lead to the arrest of Sheve Palpatine.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

euphronius posted:

Seems perfect for Star Wars then
Correct, but also contingent on if you think of Star Wars as something that can't meaningfully change as a series. From the beginning, Star Wars was a story that kept it's politics fairly abstract (I.e. how people miss that the Empire stands for the United States, and the Rebels for the Viet Cong), but the prequel trilogy showed how Lucas was willing to take the franchise into more explicit critiques of contemporary society.

Jewmanji posted:

Who cares? The consensus-best Star Wars film was directed by someone with no sci-fi experience. What is the value of having worked in the same genre? There’s absolutely no demonstrable proof that that is helpful. In fact, the things that make the original films so good was the directors bringing a non-sci fi sensibility to the films. They hired JJ Abrams explicitly because of his custodianship of other sci fi properties and he made two massive turds.
The broader problem is the fethishization of the individual, similar to how people blame all of the post-Disney Star Wars problems on Kathleen Kennedy, which makes nearly irrelevant what director is hired for these films. Could even the original trilogy exist under the Disney mandates that have become increasingly clear?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They’d have to hire a filmmaker as good as George Lucas and those are rare

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

To your point, famously, David Fincher turned down Episode 7 because he wanted to make it explicitly about droid slavery.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I wonder if Harrison's cameo was negotiated to get him into or out of Indy 5. Or if he just wanted a new plane to crash

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

KVeezy3 posted:

To your point, famously, David Fincher turned down Episode 7 because he wanted to make it explicitly about droid slavery.

That honestly sounds like both a fantastic and underexplored idea and also a terrible choice for a numbered movie.

One of my favorite parts of the old Legends setting were the Tales From short story collections, though, so I'm kind of hoping they'll make a Black Mirror-esque series of high budget, self contained, hour long short stories.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Jewmanji posted:

The consensus-best Star Wars film was directed by someone with no sci-fi experience.

sorry to disappoint.. but george lucas had already directed a sci-fi film by the time he made Star Wars

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

KVeezy3 posted:

The broader problem is the fethishization of the individual, similar to how people blame all of the post-Disney Star Wars problems on Kathleen Kennedy, which makes nearly irrelevant what director is hired for these films. Could even the original trilogy exist under the Disney mandates that have become increasingly clear?

I have no idea what these words mean. The problem is that Disney has a corporate mandate? But also Kathleen Kennedy? Can you re-state this in another way? What is "the fetishization of the individual", and how is it a problem?

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

The fetishization is the belief that the key to fixing the sequel trilogy is to pick the "right" director, or "right" president of Lucas films. An example that prevents this possibility is the clear mandate to purge any semblance of political content from the films.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TLJ was pretty political. That guy was banished for ever tho which I guess makes your point

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

To be honest, I have trouble cohering TLJ's politics, so it would be helpful if someone could take the time explain them to me. Like what does Kylo stand for?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

KVeezy3 posted:

The fetishization is the belief that the key to fixing the sequel trilogy is to pick the "right" director, or "right" president of Lucas films. An example that prevents this possibility is the clear mandate to purge any semblance of political content from the films.

Understood, thanks. I agree.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcWfrfz2fY

Help me CineD, you're my only hope

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's funny when they get directors who have their own special style and vision then gently caress them off for using their vision.
I really can't imagine what a Waititi star war would be like

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

lol the admin team actually got trolled by pick and the blockbuster video crew

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

This is an incredibly stupid idea and you should feel bad for doing it

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

you guys are such haters