Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Omg that last scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you divide the number of Star Wars by the number of years in the universe there really hasn't been that many

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

Oh yeah, Ben taking a shot at Leia and Rey seeking advice from Ben are almost certainly fakeout trailer edits.

Don't know about the last one
The lighting and set was very similar
The sequence of dialogue could have been broken up

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cinematic quality

2 5 3 7 4 1 6

Personal enjoyment

5 4 7 2 3 1 6

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

UmOk posted:

What was it that one poster used to say about Star Wars fans?

They do not like Star Wars

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

It is possible, and even common, to be a Star Wars fan and to dislike Star Wars, simultaneously.

I guess technically true but why ??

Why not be an aficionado of something you enjoy ?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

General Dog posted:

It's better than The Phantom Menace and The Force Awakens, and also about half of the Marvel Cinematic Universe's oeuvre.

It's yaws .

But anyway yes it's a fine space opera movie

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hyperbole !

Hyperbole !!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can name and shame worse movies than episode 2 if you request.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Leia and Luke and death Vader are all prequel characters in Disney/Lucasfilm movies

Oh also bail organa. And that's just superficial characters . As has also been mentioned the new movies contain space ships and Jedi and sith and laser swords and all of these things are in the prequels .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Of course Tarkin as well

And the droids lol. How could we forget them!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Uh it's in a bunch of Star Wars movies. 4? 5?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Seems like an arbitrary requirement esp considering Star Wars does not use location titles . Or maybe R1 did ?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

Why don't people just say this, then? Why blatantly lie and call it Coruscant, when the actual meaning meant to be conveyed is "a planet/system like Coruscant"?

Because in that movie it is coruscant .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

It's not though. At no time is it ever called Coruscant. And it's explicitly called "the Hosnian system".

Sure but it's also Corsicany as has been explained above .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

No, it's really not. One thing being similar to another thing doesn't make those two things the same.

jivjov posted:

No, it's really not. One thing being similar to another thing doesn't make those two things the same.

What is coruscant?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hahahah the most perfect answer

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Hosnian is the capital of the Republic but it isn't the home of the defunct Jedi Order. It's only half of Coruscant, but the other half isn't relevant to that particular film.

Right the Jedi half got moved to a lonely island on a plant with no modern buildings which is interesting symbolic change to show how the Jedi order has changed

Coruscant was destroyed but the Jedi temple survived and moved to an lonely ocean island planet which shows how the Jedi went from being an urban and urbane order of warrior monks in the corrupt heart of the universe to a isolated island order of ruins and a crazy old monk. Somewhat similar to the original trilogy showing the Jedi order being a lonely old man in the desert and a lonely old man in the jungle .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

The island is apparently the original Jedi temple site, so it's a less a change and more a drastic reversion.

?? I don't know what you mean

Specifically what you mean after the comma.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

First movie the Jedi are centered on a desert ascetic

Next two the Jedi are centered in a jungle ascetic

Then for the next three they are centered in a city pyramid literally above the clouds talking to each other through spirit vision

So it's cool that in he 7th movie the go back to asceticism , this time in the ocean . A lonely island. Or maybe it was a small archipelago

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

We can all agree that Sheev is the best Star Wars character.

Yes

R2 is pretty cool too

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tfa felt rushed because that's just how Abrams does his movies imho . They are frantic . I didn't notice any lack of production quality which you may get when a movie is actually rushed .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

... yes. movies are intentional works.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is a source document where Lucas describes in detail his directorial goal for the actors you know. It's not just people guessing about intentions .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can't find the PDF but Lucas states that was intended as an homage to the pulp movies upon which Star Wars is based .

Homage is the wrong word , but staying true to the genre .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well sure he didn't stick the landing but you can still meddle with a stumble .

How's that for metaphor .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sunk by autocorrect again.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why didn't you cite wookiepedia ?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He's not a good movie actor. He trained for the stage . I can understand why he'd hate movies .

If you want background Marc maroon has a good interview with mckellern would cry there

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gonz posted:

Saw this in the lobby at IMAX Thor last night.

Uh

Hmmmm. Hmmmmm. Two Lukes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

For it to be a monopoly you would have to prove the market for circa 1985 versions of Star Wars OT exists

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The last Jedi must be really good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gadot is def a fascist but man she has amazing cinematic presence.

Edit

Not the trump thread sorry.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

I love the repeated gag of R2 falling behind in one shot, then in a subsequent shot he's caught up again and falls behind again, repeatedly. I'll be watching for it when I rewatch The Empire Strikes Back this weekend.

Also In Jabbas palace it's never clear how he maneuvers the stairs

TFA has a funny reference to this .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nice post, Han Solo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

If The Last Jedi contains even one similar plot point to ESB I swear I will lose it.

There is going to be a climatic light sword fight.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What the hell happened to wookiepedia? It's not usable.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

I’ve seen this twice now and I’m confident in saying that there’s a large group of Star Wars fans out there who will simply never be pleased by a Star Wars movie again.

Yeah

It's nice tho that we have another good Star Wars movie that is hated by fans. It will mix up the thread a bit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

When Luke said "laser sword" I immediately thought the director reads this thread .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean luke calls them laser swords and then efficiently summarizes the "Jedi are bad" argument from the prequels. I was so happy.