Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

90s book authors were on a hell of a lot of drugs. Readers, too, maybe. I don't know how else to explain Kevin Anderson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

It would have been cool to see Luke completely dismantle a group of heavies without even needing a lightsaber but I'm fine with where they went with it instead.

as jedi have trended more towards being superheroes, force bullshit has outstripped laser swords in terms of actual usefulness.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Eiba posted:

The third example is the Jedi themselves. They're cool noble warriors, individually. Outside of the petulant line, "From my point of view the Jedi are evil!" they aren't really questioned in the text of the movie. They're obviously wrong if you think about it, but they have all the trappings of being right. "You're here to free the slaves, right?" "Nope," is such a mind blowing exchange in part because Qui Gon is not depicted as a callous fool. He comes off as a kindly, wise, compassionate father figure. There's no musical sting when he says that. He says it kind of sadly, like he's wisely explaining to a child how the world really works. He's a good man, playing his role to make things better, and freeing the slaves happens not to be his role. You actually have to stop and think to realize how hosed up that is. Once its pointed out, I don't think anyone can deny how hosed up it is. I know I've brought it up to people and the reaction has universally been, "wait, yeah! that's super hosed up!" but that's not the reaction anyone has in the the theater. The Jedi present themselves as level headed monks, dispensing religious wisdom. But they're cops. Conduits of violence for the political establishment.

Wouldn't freeing the slaves be an intractable problem that requires (probably violently) overthrowing the Hutt Cartels, which are akin to nations in power?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Elfgames posted:

these are the only "bad" lines here but this is poo poo a moody tenager in love might say(or more realistically write on their livejournal)

Bill Shakes showed you can write moody teenagers and still have it be pretty good.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Brave to use A Wizard Did It in a space setting! Visionary, even.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yeah. All they had to do was put his hands on top of the sheets. Or something. It's hard to believe not one person in the editing staff noticed that anakin was jerkin it. It would have been the easiest scene to reshoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

zer0spunk posted:

I don't get why they don't go for directors with good sci-fi under their belt. Let me see what Shane Carruth would do with star wars! If you need to go with an overrated big name, hell why not Villeneuve. If dune ends up being trash, you know he'll be available.

e: if anyone points to looper, i said good sci fi

noone has any experience making scifi because JJ has absorbed all franchises into himself