Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I absolutely loved it.

While the side stories were a little strange (as mentioned in loads of reviews) it all fitted together really well for me. It was good seeing someone from East Asia doing an action hero bit right at the start as well, you never see that and I understand the reviews saying how surprising it was to them, in a good way.

I especially liked Rose telling us that it was "filled with the worst people" and then it cut to them being the super rich. And Del Toro being all "You're both as bad as each other" then it categorically saying they're not. They're only small bits but it spoke to me, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I was so glad to see a...cameo? Or just a role really, for Adrian Edmonson. That got a bigger gasp in my cinema than the secret person in Rogue One really.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sombrerotron posted:

Comments have also been made about the interminable chase sequence that carries on the general plot. I don't really like either arguing for or against things making sense within Star Wars movies, but given how essential this was to the storyline, I'm kind of annoyed by how contrived it appeared. The basic conceit (i.e. that the smaller Resistance ships could stay ahead of the larger First Order ones) is slightly absurd, if only because you'd expect half a fleet of capital ships to come equipped with enough fighters and bombers to overtake and disable a much smaller force. The catch - that the fleeing Resistance ships could only keep it up for a while - is perhaps even less convincing, because I'm pretty sure fuel limitations were never an issue before, and for some reason the First Order ships seem entirely unaffected by this. And even if I suspend my disbelief, I'm left wondering why the story had to be told in this particular way - especially because, aside from one short space fight and an admittedly visually impressive conclusion, it didn't make for the most tense and compelling cinema. Oh, and what the hell was going on with the cannons firing lobbed shots in space??

The ships work exactly like they do in the board games for Star Wars. Which I was impressed about! Fighters have a specific range ahead of the main ship and they do even say that.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

Well, not really.

Kylo is advised to pull back because the Rebel ships are out of range of the FO capital guns and that they can't "cover him". It's nothing to do with the operational range of the fighters.

Don't they tell him he's out of range and they "can't support him", that's what I heard.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Samara posted:

From the Poe / Hux lame joke during a serious battle to Luke throwIng the saber over his shoulder the comedy portions are almost insulting.

I disagree with you entirely other than the Poe/Hux bit. Starting the film with that was...weird.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Kart Barfunkel posted:

If Episode IX doesn’t end in full galactic communism NOW this whole enterprise will have all been for naught.

I hope so. I've said it already but "home to the worst people in the galaxy" and then it being the super rich was loving amazing.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Horizon Burning posted:

The RotS novel is pretty interesting but it's basically an entire reimagining and rewrite of the story from dialogue to characterization and motivations.

Is it actually good? Not that I want to read it, I'm just curious.
Can't imagine the RotS film working as a novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It's funny when they get directors who have their own special style and vision then gently caress them off for using their vision.
I really can't imagine what a Waititi star war would be like