Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Shep posted:

Did he give thousands of assault weapons to drug cartels and gun smugglers? Hmmm

Started under GW, but please tell me how that invalidates the Racist Keebler Elf being a symbol of racial oppression.

You realize that the ATF operation was largely against policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

The Shep posted:

Are there any good new Tom Cruise movies coming out soon? I thought Live Die Repeat was really good.

Serious post: American Made looks like a fun time.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
When whip comes back we should finally nail down the details for our GiP chicago meet up my dudes.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The Shep posted:

When whip comes back we should finally nail down the details for our GiP chicago meet up my dudes.

I'll bring the pizza

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Will I get arrested in violation of LEOSA?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Doubtful, Illinois has CCW now anyway to include Chicago. I didn't realize there were many gippers in the overall Milwaukee-Chicago region.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

The Shep posted:

Are there any good new Tom Cruise movies coming out soon? I thought Live Die Repeat was really good.

Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt are both coming back for the sequel. It's in pre-production.

Live Die Repeat and Repeat.

They're actually calling it that. I'll have opening day tickets.

E: and if you haven't seen it, Oblivion was way better than any Tom Cruise movie should be. His sci-fi action films have been on point lately.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Give me just some yoga action movie with Emily Blunt and I'll buy the goddamned Blu-ray limited edition version for $50

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Lest say someone from your PD's TOP BRASS came down to your office in the basement and said "Hey fucko! How would you like to be on LIVE PD for the next month hauling around a couple of cameramen while you do your job"? Would you jump at the opportunity to be a hero on TV or tell them to go play poop patrol with a nightstick?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Reign Of Pain posted:

Lest say someone from your PD's TOP BRASS came down to your office in the basement and said "Hey fucko! How would you like to be on LIVE PD for the next month hauling around a couple of cameramen while you do your job"? Would you jump at the opportunity to be a hero on TV or tell them to go play poop patrol with a nightstick?

I'd link thesoldier's manifesto about how he was so lonely that he'd pull people over just to talk to them, but I'm afraid it's lost to the sands of time.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Arc Light posted:

I'd link thesoldier's manifesto about how he was so lonely that he'd pull people over just to talk to them, but I'm afraid it's lost to the sands of time.

A gross abuse of power for such a minimal reward. Sounds like how people get temp promotions to management at the IRS.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I pulled someone over to pet their dog once

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Smiling Jack posted:

I pulled someone over to pet their dog once

That’s profiling I can get behind

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Rad Lieutenant posted:

That’s profiling I can get behind

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Y'all need to check out Mike Judge: Tails From the Tour Bus on Cinemax. The one about Johnny Paycheck is loving hilarious

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
COP THREAD

COP THREAD

WHATCHU GONNA DO

The Jack Chop Guy
Mar 31, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hello shithead murderers! Some questions:

1. Is forums poster The Shep particularly bad or just par for the course around here,

2. Rounded to the nearest hundred, how many of your (or your neighbors') pets' brains have been misted across a child's bedroom wall after startling you, and

3. Do you count as Are Troops? I'll take my answer on-air

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

hey do you do yard work because you're edgy enough to cut my lawn

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shep is a special snowflake. Most copgoons are pretty reasonable.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

The Jack Chop Guy posted:

1. Is forums poster The Shep particularly bad or just par for the course around here,

2. Rounded to the nearest hundred, how many of your (or your neighbors') pets' brains have been misted across a child's bedroom wall after startling you, and

1. Have you even read these forums?

2. Killing of good doggos/kitties is frowned upon, why would we kill animals like that?

3. We are Are Troops. At least those of us dumb enough to still be in.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

The Jack Chop Guy posted:

1. Shep is a national treasure

2. Zero we are all too fat to reach our holsters

3. No, none of us were dumb enough to enlist instead we got union jobs with sweet rear end pensions and paid leave thanks for your tax dollars citizen

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

My unit made about a dozen felony arrests including 5 firearms from felons in possession this month and we haven't shot anyone am I doing this wrong

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Smiling Jack posted:

My unit made about a dozen felony arrests including 5 firearms from felons in possession this month and we haven't shot anyone am I doing this wrong

Depends on if it was your unit that got the on duty "consensual blow jobs" a while back or not.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Smiling Jack posted:

ugh, millennials, they even feel entitled to their dirty kickbacks without putting in the work.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

ASAPI posted:

1. Have you even read these forums?

2. Killing of good doggos/kitties is frowned upon, why would we kill animals like that?

3. We are Are Troops. At least those of us dumb enough to still be in.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/are

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/our

Just fyi or did I miss some kind of SA secretive thingy about Are is a thing about something or other which is a thing i may or not be unaware of, maybe.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Reign Of Pain posted:

Just fyi or did I miss some kind of SA secretive thingy about Are is a thing about something or other which is a thing i may or not be unaware of, maybe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000s_(decade)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Reign Of Pain posted:

Old chevy commercials "this is our country" but said like "are"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Reign Of Pain posted:

Old chevy commercials "this is our country" but said like "are"

Edit: thanks awful app

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Never use a hard R

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Never use a hard R

Yea this has saved me countless times

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ygolonac posted:

COP THREAD

COP THREAD

WHATCHU GONNA DO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Vwv7YdM4g&t=11s

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Responded to a motor vehicle accident with injuries twenty minutes before the end of shift. Dude hit a guardrail at high speed on the interstate. Between shutting down a lane of traffic, waiting for an ambulance and a wrecker, and writing a crash report, I expected to be stuck there for at least an hour past shift change. When we got there, we realized that it happened twenty feet past the city limits. Directed traffic for five minutes until the state police came to relieve us. Still got off shift on time.

:unsmith:

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Arc Light posted:

Responded to a motor vehicle accident with injuries twenty minutes before the end of shift. Dude hit a guardrail at high speed on the interstate. Between shutting down a lane of traffic, waiting for an ambulance and a wrecker, and writing a crash report, I expected to be stuck there for at least an hour past shift change. When we got there, we realized that it happened twenty feet past the city limits. Directed traffic for five minutes until the state police came to relieve us. Still got off shift on time.

:unsmith:

Going to watch supertroopers again now

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

A friend of mine told me that recently his entire team were issued with bodycams a couple of months back. Apparently if you begin recording you have to submit the entire unedited length of footage until you stop recording. They are all now immediately going to the toilet to spray their guts down the pan in a vocal and theatrical manner and claim they 'forgot' to switch the camera off after getting to custody.

This apparently subjects multiple people to having to listen to the officer take a dump before the evidence is shortened and gets to court.

I've gotten the same cams, it buffers the first 30 seconds before you turn it on. I've had it less than a week and I've already recorded myself having a piss before running out of the office because some tools were fighting

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hezzy posted:

I've gotten the same cams, it buffers the first 30 seconds before you turn it on. I've had it less than a week and I've already recorded myself having a piss before running out of the office because some tools were fighting

Seems like a very useful feature if you turn the camera off after some poo poo starts to pop off, but yeah, the odds of getting some embarrassing footage or conversation due to the same seems pretty high.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

Seems like a very useful feature if you turn the camera off after some poo poo starts to pop off, but yeah, the odds of getting some embarrassing footage or conversation due to the same seems pretty high.

To save digital storage space, most models with buffered footage only begin recording audio when the camera is switched on. Same goes for dashcams. You get the last thirty seconds of video with no sound before the switch was flipped.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
I know I give you guys grief from time to time, especially on scene, but I felt like I should pass something on to you that another thread made me think of.

I massively respect what you do, from one Firefighter/EMT to a bunch of cops, and if you ever end up needing help dealing with something, you shouldn't be afraid of being ratted out.

posted:

Even for first responders, there is a national phone line you can go to, not associated with any departments, or anything, that is protected by congressional law that you cannot have negative action taken against you for going to and using. It was started due to a cop who went undercover, ended up getting involved in drugs due to the type of work he was in, and went to a department sponsored program. He got fired for looking for help.

I know this isn't necessarily the right thread for it, but for any cops/EMTs/Firefighters reading this thread who ever need it - go here https://www.safecallnow.org/

They put you in touch with local psychologists who have experience dealing with PTSD and other job related issues for first responders. And they keep in touch and follow up.

But every department has an employee assistance program, and I know at at least one department I have worked at, the department is notified that you used it.

I am never, ever, ever touching a department sponsored employee assistance program. Nor should anyone - unless it's dire straits. If it is, use what you have available to you, by all means. But there are a million other programs out there, if you can, find one that's open to you and not associated with your employer.

Apologies for the tangent.

If anyone here ever needs any help, use Safe Call. The process, once you call, is as follows -

Someone takes your call, they get your first name, what you're calling about. They pass it on. You will get called back by a different person. It's a network of national organizations, basically, who help first responders. The person who called me back a day or two later works for a different organization, but they're all associated via safe call.

The person who calls you back will ask what area of the country you work in, and then put you in touch with local counselors who have openings in the near future and experience dealing with first responders specifically.

If you have spare cash and are looking to donate to a cause, this is a good one. If you ever need it, use this phone number - Your employer cannot mess with you for using it.

To quote:

"Safe Call Now was started in 2009 after legislation was passed guaranteeing confidentiality nationwide for all who call the Safe Call Now crisis line that is staffed by current and former first responders."

I have needed to use it before, and no one should ever be afraid of losing their job for seeking help.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

ONE oval office WOLF PACK posted:

gently caress the police

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Please :huh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

My dept just switched from .40 to 9mm. We're allowed to purchase our old Glock 22s. They're pretty well kitted out, with tritium sights and department engraving.

Is the sentimental value of keeping my first duty pistol worth the shame of owning a .40?