Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Hav posted:

Just pulling a speculation out of my rear end that the dive in quality after the initial release has to do with cycling out the development team that was originally involved, and hacking in more currency systems because they moved from subscription through the free-to-play wastelands where you're chasing the whale dollar to survive.

Every MMO that went free-to-play inevitably had to court a smaller pool of money, with the exception of Eve, which appears to be the undead hulk of MMOs.

EvE and rift probably have comparable player bases, its just EvE players tend to have vast numbers of accounts multiboxing so they can be both high and low sec at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

AcidRonin posted:

It's ironic that as a kid I really loved freelancer and fro folowing this saga it seems the only way I got that game was Microsoft removing CR.

It's a miracle a game came out of it that was almost good considering when something like that normally happens you get agents of mayhem or duke nukem forever.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Bethesda's success is a testimony to the size of the market.

Well fallout 76 has kinda tempered that

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I haven't heard anything about an engine switch fwiw