Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
God, I knew those faces were reminding me of something. It's like the faces in Tigtone but more horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
It's a strange and unsettling experience when you actually meet a Star Citizen cultist and they vomit up the exact same mindless talking points as in the thread.

Cultist Rant posted:

people have been very eager to cherry pick the goofier parts of SC's development over the past years, though they're only able to do so because the dev's been fully in the public eye for most the entirety of the process. the arguments about how long it's been worked on fall flat considering how long most high-end products are silently worked on before being unveiled. not to mention that much of the tech, which CIG for a time themselves thought was impossible, has been implemented and steadily improved upon within recent months alone, most notably the dynamic physics instances that lets players roam around their own ships with unique gravity while flying around. so you'll have to pardon me if i'm not looking to buy into the "SC is dead" meme when it ain't even finished yet

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

henpod posted:

I've been seeing Star Citizen around on the Internet, but it seems like such a rabbit-hole clusterfuck I can't quite put my finger on it all. It looks like a highly enjoyable trainwreck to observe, and I want in on the show. Can someone do a TLDR of the whole thing?

From my understanding, it is a crowdfunded space game that is ambitious to the point of impossible, with lots of money thrown at it and still no completed product after years and years of development. And people pay money to buy spaceships? So, is there any kind of game that people are playing, or is it short tech-demo levels or what? Is there a huge community of people in denial still pumping money into a project that can't ever be completed? If it can't, why can't it? Is it a hilariously buggy mess?

It's a Kickstarted Spacegame by Chris Roberts who generally had a lot of nerd good-will for being involved with the Wing Commander in a high-profile way. They were somewhat campy games, but at least the early part of the series was pretty decent for its time.

Then once the money started rolling in, the promises grew.

And they started adding backer rewards after the original crowdfunding was done, often for things they were lightyears from implementing, and which could cost absurd amounts. You had people paying over 10,000 dollars for spaceships that weren't even implemented yet and existed as nothign but promotional material, thus the joking that people were paying thousands of bucks for JPEG's.

The "playable" alphas delivered so far are incredibly shy of the ultra space MMO that's been promised, as well as being incredibly, hilariously buggy. And this is, I think, at this point, something like three or four years after when Chris Roberts had originally promised we'd be sure to have a playable game.

And that's just the 100% confirmable, tangible stuff. There are also rumours(often with some pretty convincing circumstantial evidence) of weird shell companies, embezzlement and misappropriation of company funds, spending I think something like ten grand on a novelty spaceship front door for their offices, etc. the madness is deep.

As for the "why can't it be completed" it's mostly to do with the fact that A) they promised poo poo that would be near-impossible in any engine, B) they chose an engine that wasn't even good for what was possible and C) the project management is hilariously incompetent.