Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I played Defiance a couple years ago and was pleasantly surprised. I maxed out my character to whatever the limit was, then left because I lost interest. I tried it again a month ago and it was a steaming hot pile of poo poo, nothing like I remembered. It's like it literally devolved. Mobs were zigging and zagging and teleporting all over, the game was janky as gently caress, and virtually unplayable, and looked awful. I don't know how something like that happens.

I know it's being re-released shortly with new tech or whatever, but word on the forums is that it's literally the exact same game but with new bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Virtual Captain posted:

June Set 3

Game Credits
Crying Old Woman: Sandi Gardiner

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Pierson posted:

Was there any reaction from the citizens when Warframe showed working flyable spaceships for their free-to-play space ninja game, that included almost-seamless ground-to-space transitions, enemy and friendly boarding parties, multi-crew command stations, and basically half the stuff SC has been promising for a half-decade?

The same reaction they use for everything. "What company X actually made is cool, but it's nothing compared to what we're going to make. Checkmate!" It's very versatile reasoning.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

That was a callback to the original episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPpvViI6tgg

If we're going for hyper-pedantism, I suppose you could argue that the original clip doesn't quite stress the "it is ... it is..." pause, but that's violently missing the point. I'd agree that Lesnick was probably quoting Data, for no other reason that a lot of people didn't realize just how many callback jokes were crammed into that Scotty episode.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 29, 2018

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

AcidRonin posted:

It's ironic that as a kid I really loved freelancer and fro folowing this saga it seems the only way I got that game was Microsoft removing CR.

You get a gold star and free ice cream for actually realizing it. You also get to save thousands of dollars, because the people who didn't come to the realization you did are still giving Chris free money, not comprehending that he can't make games.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I didn't realize until I caught up with this recap that even :reddit: is coming around.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Nebakenezzer posted:

A good post, Skeletal Captain rides again

One question, though: what's this white box, grey box thing?

Whitebox:

Graybox:

You test the gameplay this way, and add the final graphical polish last, because it's the least essential to the core game but takes the most time and needs to be redone repeatedly if you get the early parts wrong. Chris Roberts doesn't know what any of this is, but game developers do.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fashionable Jorts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2y_rLIIB5I

Skip around in this video to see good use of white/greybox application. A bunch of broken assets t-posing around an empty looking map to make sure the gameplay is fun and working. Then, as the mechanics of the game come together, you start to apply art assets.

Star Citizen literally does this backwards, adding million-polygon spaceships who's function doesn't exist in the game yet.

What kills me is that I think Chris is doing this on purpose, and not solely to sell spaceship JPEGs. He has not designed this game, and he has no idea what it is or what he wants it to be. "Visionary developer" Chris Roberts literally believes, without irony, that high-fidelity assets will just assemble themselves into a game once you "add in" physics, like seasoning a stew. He thinks that graphics first is actually the way to make a game, and everyone else is backwards. He's one of the dumbest people of all time - there's a reason this shitshow has broken ground so frequently in the "OMGWTF" territory that traditional game development studios just can't match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Chris has no ideas so there's nothing to whitebox. But by making high-fidelity assets and pasting them into a model-viewer like Space Colorforms in Space his screenshots make it look like he's a legendary game developer who's almost finished with his masterpiece, instead of the nearly-strangled hand-waving drooling fraud that he is.