Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Thanks very much for this thread recap. I mean, I knew the project was hosed, but this is some "My god, they should have sent a poet" sorta hosed

I lost it when I learned Star Citizen actually has something called the "AEGIS Potato debacle"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This thread continues to amaze, thanks. I mean where else am I going to read rhetorical artillery shells like

quote:

No. Nothing will. There’s no word in the english language to describe their perfect blend of stupidity and delusion. Over the years, the process of Star Citizen has bled out all rational thought, all meaningful discourse, and like the slow meticulous pruning and root binding of the bonsai, so has Star Citizen painstakingly cultivated a perfectly impotent caricature of an adult human with free will.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Excellent as always, captain.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Uh, hello, that glitchy school bus that went off a cliff with all those orphans inside?

Croberts called it June 2015

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Lol at that guy who was saying "the graphics and gameplay are brilliant" then ragedumping on all the many ways the game is broken, completely broken

Nice job as always Captian

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Orange Harrison posted:

Someone ask Crobat if Star Citizen will have it's own gargantuan planned ELE for when the servers reach end-of-life, ala the Matrix Online. The clever PR answer he would want to give would be "No, SC will live forever" but that answer will be mentally inaccessible to him because it would mean saying no to a feature request. Then he will be forced to promise a realistic procedural generated heat-death of his own universe.
Actually that's already kind of whats happening.

For those curious: TMOs attempt at this failed and nearly every (remaining) player present for the apocalypse event crashed out and missed it as it began.

What's TMO?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

TheAgent posted:

well that's one rumor that's 100% true

Please keep disclosures like this to the CLEARED GOONS ONLY THREAD

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Re: the last scrufflepuff post, it is worth repeating that anybody who thinks "I'm really strong in X", where X is rationality, ability to spot scams etc, is typically an easy mark for those things. The people who are actually are good at these things are humble - they think "I can make mistakes/be taken in by scams - which is why it is important to know what a scam looks like, or have steps to confirm or deny the truth of statements."

It's why on Glenn Beck's old show there were ads for "survival seeds" at a million percent markup

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Oh my god, these fuckin' snowflakes. "Our project is too innovative/important to have the law apply"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm not surprised to see all the rape and slavery stuff, I have some dim memory of at some point in Duke Nukem Forever development there suddenly being a request for ideas for tiny in game cutscenes, and about 75% of the submissions were sex violence

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

It's me, I often cite the fact that I've done something in my spare time and am thus authoritative

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hav posted:

I hold out hope after Gat out of Hell, but they might have peaked.

I enjoyed AoM, but it had some flaws. The writing I found was hit or miss, and they may have been not wise running with the whole saturday morning cartoon of yore thing. The 80's GI Joe was so insane sometimes, I'm not sure if anybody can be funnier than they were. I also felt like with the various character narratives, some characters were stilted out of the box, others worked well, but if there had been more space to develop them, the good characters would be better and the flat ones would have some, er, topography?

I think the thing that hamstrung the whole thing were the grindy aspects. First, because I'm not sure when we became sick of the grind (might've been when we uninstalled Diablo 2) but unless deftly and lightly done, we're sure AF sick of it now, and....the grindy aspect actually ruins what should be a game highlight. Mad Science labs are all over bideo james, because they are weird, visually fun places. AoM takes that, and makes it a generic tileset. So the especially weird and magic areas are made generic. This kinda dovetails, too, with character development and even the city size: I feel like the game originally was going to be 2 cities, or even three, with all that extra space going to be used for the stuff I noted. But at some point early in the development, this was deemed too expensive and the sausage filler was deemed the cost effective solution. Frankly I felt that about Gat out of hell too: that a much larger game had been planned but some finance type nixed the idea.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

wdarkk posted:

The parts about Sandi trying to strangle him are the actual surprise. I had no idea about that.

WTF:

quote:

In a court-filed declaration he signed at the time, Roberts said Gardiner had also visited Peterson’s San Diego home and once became violent and tried to strangle him. “I believed that if she had a gun she would have killed me,” Roberts said in the declaration. “I believe that Ms. Gardiner is not emotionally stable.”

Oh, don't mind that woman who stalked my common-law wife and daughter for THREE YEARS

quote:

Roberts reported the incident to police, and a California judge issued a temporary restraining order that required Gardiner to stay 100 yards away from Peterson, who claimed in her temporary restraining order application that Gardiner had been stalking and threatening both her and her daughter for nearly three years.

Man, there's getting back with your ex and then there's this poo poo

Also sandi is...from Australia? I take this as another example of her psychological problems, since some sort of fanatical desire to make yourself over to the point to try and pass as another nationality doesn't seem healthy

I'm now picturing Sandi's private study where she secretly constructs voodoo dolls of Margot Robbie

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A good post, Skeletal Captain rides again

One question, though: what's this white box, grey box thing?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

You guys, you are making me sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I think if you can argue twitter is a MMO, so is StarCitizen, it's just that the game is being a shitzen or mocking shitzens

I'd recommend only one of these